Bubbles in wallpaper ... fixable?

Old May 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Cathy Weeks

Default Bubbles in wallpaper ... fixable?

In the process of working with the electrical, I used some pretty
bright flashlights to see what I was doing, and discovered that the
room with the dark wallpaper has some pretty significant bubbles in
the paper. I don't have bubbles in the room with the light-colored
paper, so I'm guessing the difference was that I had better light and
could see what I was doing better.

The bubbly wallpaper is well-dried (I installed it a couple of weeks
ago). Is it possible to get the bubbles out, or is it a matter of
ripping it down and starting over? I was thinking that if I steamed
the paper - just enough to dampen it, that the glue might soften up,
and I could scrape the bubbles out.

Complicating matters is that the fireplace has been glued in place,
and the crown molding has also been glued in place. Honestly, the
wallpaper is installed for better or worse, and I'm either going to
have bubbles, or if it's fixable with ripping out the moulding and
fireplace, then maybe I'll do so.

Anyone ever had this?

Cathy
Old May 4th 04, 10:15 PM
havana bill & holly

"Cathy Weeks"wrote
I discovered that the
room with the dark wallpaper has some pretty significant bubbles in
the paper. I don't have bubbles in the room with the light-colored
paper, so I'm guessing the difference was that I had better light and
could see what I was doing better.

The bubbly wallpaper is well-dried (I installed it a couple of weeks
ago). Is it possible to get the bubbles out, or is it a matter of
ripping it down and starting over? I was thinking that if I steamed
the paper - just enough to dampen it, that the glue might soften up,
and I could scrape the bubbles out.

Cathy, gently dampen the bubbled paper and with a vew craftknife blade/
scalpel, cut along one curved side of the bubble and try smoothing the paper
down. You might need to take a tiny bit of wallpaper paste on your
fingertip to the back of the cut before smoothing it down. Try it on a less
conspicuous bubble first.

Old May 5th 04, 01:10 PM
Steve Burns

And next time use contact cement to put in walpaper, flooring, and
rugs. You need to put cement on both surfaces and let dry completely.
then you need to learn the trick of putting a clean piece of paper on
the wall or floor. put the new wall paper (glue side towards the wall
on the dry paper. line everthing up and slide the clean sheet out. Be
sure you are exactly lined up because once stuck down this way, the wall
paper will never come off. I've never had problems with this.

Ordinary contact cemt works best, and you can get it at any hardware
stor in pint cans. rubber cement will work, but is much thicker than
needed, so it can be hard to get on in a smooth coat.

havana bill & holly wrote:

"Cathy Weeks"wrote
I discovered that the

Old May 12th 04, 02:48 AM
Carol

"Steve Burns boeing.com " "stephen.d.burns2 at wrote in message
And next time use contact cement to put in walpaper, flooring, and
rugs. You need to put cement on both surfaces and let dry completely.
then you need to learn the trick of putting a clean piece of paper on
the wall or floor. put the new wall paper (glue side towards the wall
on the dry paper. line everthing up and slide the clean sheet out. Be
sure you are exactly lined up because once stuck down this way, the wall
paper will never come off. I've never had problems with this.

Ordinary contact cemt works best, and you can get it at any hardware
stor in pint cans. rubber cement will work, but is much thicker than
needed, so it can be hard to get on in a smooth coat.

I have always used Mini Graphics wallpaper paste without a problem. I put
it on the paper with a foam brush, allow it to dry for a couple of minutes
and working from top to bottom, place the paper on the wall, smoothing with
a cloth as I go along.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com