Installing a Fireplace?

Old April 22nd 04, 04:01 AM
Cathy Weeks

Default Installing a Fireplace?

Ok, the fireplace is nearly done. It just needs a coat or two of
polyurathane. But how do I install it?

When I set it in the dollhouse against the appropriate wall, it leans
outward slightly, and doesn't sit tightly against the wall. I can with
my hand pull it against the wall, but then there's a very slight gap
under the hearth. It needs to be tight against the wall (it's a side
wall, and it will show badly if it's not). Should I put a couple of
pieces of paper under the hearth to prop it?

And what glue do I use? Tacky? Wood Glue? Elmer's?

Cathy Weeks
Old April 23rd 04, 02:46 PM
betsyb

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
Ok, the fireplace is nearly done. It just needs a coat or two of
polyurathane. But how do I install it?

When I set it in the dollhouse against the appropriate wall, it leans
outward slightly, and doesn't sit tightly against the wall. I can with
my hand pull it against the wall, but then there's a very slight gap
under the hearth. It needs to be tight against the wall (it's a side
wall, and it will show badly if it's not). Should I put a couple of
pieces of paper under the hearth to prop it?

And what glue do I use? Tacky? Wood Glue? Elmer's?

Cathy Weeks

Remember that tacky clay looking stuff we got in strips? You warm and soften
it in your hands,. It sticks fireplaces to the wall and can be moved easily.
I don't recall the brand name but it's in a small carded package and looks
like sticks of gum. Used to be green color but I think the newer ones are
white.

Old April 23rd 04, 03:50 PM
Carol

"betsyb" wrote in message

Remember that tacky clay looking stuff we got in strips? You warm and

soften
it in your hands,. It sticks fireplaces to the wall and can be moved

easily.
I don't recall the brand name but it's in a small carded package and looks
like sticks of gum. Used to be green color but I think the newer ones are
white.

I think you mean "Fun Tak". I find that the white doesn't hold very well,
the blue is much better.
I use that or mini hold for the fireplace. Mini hold is a wax and the only
problem with that is sometimes in the summer if it gets too hot in the
house, it melts.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old April 24th 04, 04:14 AM
Cathy Weeks

"Carol" wrote in message ...
"betsyb" wrote in message

Remember that tacky clay looking stuff we got in strips? You warm and

soften
it in your hands,. It sticks fireplaces to the wall and can be moved

easily.
I don't recall the brand name but it's in a small carded package and looks
like sticks of gum. Used to be green color but I think the newer ones are
white.

I think you mean "Fun Tak". I find that the white doesn't hold very well,
the blue is much better.
I use that or mini hold for the fireplace. Mini hold is a wax and the only
problem with that is sometimes in the summer if it gets too hot in the
house, it melts.

Carol, Betsy,

Why not use glue to install it?

Cathy Weeks
Old April 24th 04, 11:34 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message Carol, Betsy,

Why not use glue to install it?

Cathy Weeks

I hate to permanently install things. It makes it difficult to redecorate.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old April 24th 04, 09:40 PM
Gerald Miller

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 06:34:30 -0400, "Carol"
wrote:

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message Carol, Betsy,

Why not use glue to install it?

Cathy Weeks

I hate to permanently install things. It makes it difficult to redecorate.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

A small dot of strong glue is much better than a large gob of low
strength stickum!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old April 25th 04, 06:12 PM
betsyb

wrote:

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message Carol,

Betsy,

Why not use glue to install it?

Cathy Weeks

I hate to permanently install things. It makes it difficult to

redecorate.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

A small dot of strong glue is much better than a large gob of low
strength stickum!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

If you glue, it's basically forever. The tacky stuff allows you to move
things around.