Crazy Quilt Help for a Quilter

Old July 28th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Default Crazy Quilt Help for a Quilter

On Jul 28, 2:30*am, Karen C - California wrote:
Quiltus Lunaticus? *

Or should that be Quiltmaker Lunaticus?

Lunaticus , is something connected to the moon , or a Crescent form ,
It has become another word for crazy later , but if we want the Latin
meaning we need to take demens or fatuus .

Quiltus looks more like Quilibet =anyone
mirjam
Old July 28th 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:59:03 -0700 (PDT), mirjam
wrote:

On Jul 28, 2:30*am, Karen C - California wrote:
Quiltus Lunaticus? *

Or should that be Quiltmaker Lunaticus?

Lunaticus , is something connected to the moon , or a Crescent form ,
It has become another word for crazy later , but if we want the Latin
meaning we need to take demens or fatuus .

Quiltus looks more like Quilibet =anyone
mirjam

I would be strongly inclined not to go with a literal translation of
"crazy" in the sense of mentally ill. That's why I was leaning
towards something like jocosus. But surely we have some Romance
language native speakers here who could tell us what crazy quilt is in
French or Spanish or Italian or whatnot. Then we'd have some roots to
work back from.

Sara
Old July 28th 09, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

On Jul 28, 2:13*pm, Sara wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:59:03 -0700 (PDT), mirjam

I would be strongly inclined not to go with a literal translation of
"crazy" in the sense of mentally ill. *That's why I was leaning
towards something like jocosus. *But surely we have some Romance
language native speakers here who could tell us what crazy quilt is in
French or Spanish or Italian or whatnot. *Then we'd have some roots to
work back from.

Sara

I aproached a friend of mine who is an expert , and she will write a
note that i can post here ,, she says the whole meaning has been
misunderstood , In fact i was joking a bit in my litereral
translation, knowing very well it wasn`t the real meaning , but it was
just as good as the others ,,,, but when i saw this translation with
the LUNA , i felt we all are crossing into No No land .
The moment i get the expert`s note i will post it here !!!
mirjam
Old July 28th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Janet[_3_]

On Jul 27, 8:51*am, Janet wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:12*pm, Tia Mary wrote:

Hi Guys,
* * One of the men -- Dr. Zachary Smith aka Doc -- from over at RCTQ
(the quilting newsgroup) needs a Latin translation for "crazy quilt". *I
told him to post his request here because I know we have several Italian
stitchers & designers who lurk but don't often post. *I wanted to let
you all know that he is legit -- not some spammer. *If he posts himself,
then folks can more easily contact him directly with a translation if
that's what they prefer to do. *CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ * (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at *http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

I have a friend who is a high school Latin teacher. *I've emailed her
and will post when she replies.

Janet

Sorry to reply to my own post. My friend doesn't know the translation
but she is attending a seminar this week with other high school Latin
teachers and will ask them. I'll let you know what they come up with.

Janet
Old July 29th 09, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

My expert Quilter Artist Mrs Linda Baron
wrote me this note , regarding the crazy quilt

Shalom Mirjam!
The origin of quilt is from the Latin culcita,which means "a padded
cushion."
Crazy has French origins,"ecraser" meaning to crush.In pottery
'crazed' means crackled,a surface cracking.In gardens we have crazy
paving,a kind of mosaic of assorted paving stones.
Ergo,a crazy quilt is a patchwork mosaic,where the joins are
emphasized as in a crackle-glazed pottery item.
Sorry to disappoint all those who connect quilting with some weird
mental state!

Linda.
Old July 29th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Zachary Smith

Hi Linda,

With all due respect... While the art of crazy quilts (which generally
have no "quilting") may go back centuries, or even millennia (as has
been suggested in one of the threads on this question) I have no idea
what they were called/known as away back in those good ol' days. My
gut feeling is that the term "crazy quilt" may have/probably
originated with the 19th century fad. I have no evidence to support
this, but please bear with me a sec...

I don't think it's likely that whoever did come up with the term was
thinking about or relating it to crazing. More likely they *were*
referring to something akin a mental state i.e. the haphazard way the
scraps and fragments of fabric are thrown together like somebody
barfed up a textile mill. They weren't scholars - they were
quilters! If not the mental state, then another synonym of "crazy".

As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." ;-)

Nice theory though! :-)

Doc

Old July 29th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

On Jul 29, 6:30*am, mirjam wrote:

My expert Quilter Artist Mrs Linda Baron
wrote me this note , regarding the crazy quilt

Shalom Mirjam!
The origin of quilt is from the Latin culcita,which means "a padded
cushion."
Crazy has French origins,"ecraser" meaning to crush.In pottery
'crazed' means crackled,a surface cracking.In gardens we have crazy
paving,a kind of mosaic of assorted paving stones.
Ergo,a crazy quilt is a patchwork mosaic,where the joins are
emphasized as in a crackle-glazed pottery item.
Sorry to disappoint all those who connect quilting with some weird
mental state!

Linda.- Hide quoted text -

Hallo Doc Smith i will forward this to Linda
mirjam
Old July 30th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

I think culcita is along the right track. My latin dictionary
translates it as:
mattress, stuffed (feathers/wool/hair) pillow/cushion for bed/couch

And the Romans had mosaics, the ones which have survived are lovely,
regular artworks depicting realistic scenes.

So perhaps something using "random mosaic" and culcit would be
appropriate.
Someone with more education than I could provide the correct latin
roots, endings and verb-forms.

Best wishes, Annette

Old August 1st 09, 12:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Dr smith here is Linda`s answer to your letter which i forwarded to
her .
==================

Dear Dr. Smith, I'm a quilter and a scholar, including Latin, Virgil
and co.- just love the Georgics. Quilters, both male and female don't
have to be unlettered, or subject to weird mental states. We're just
people who use cloth, needle and thread as our closest to hand medium.
With respect,Linda.

Not Crazy Quilt judyanna Quilting 6 July 23rd 09 04:07 AM
new quilter and crazy quilt for twins thoughtful1 Quilting 5 March 3rd 09 09:50 PM
crazy quilt Karen, Queen of Squishies Quilting 5 September 8th 08 06:18 PM
A Crazy Quilt Veronica M. in East LA. Quilting 2 February 1st 08 04:56 PM
Crazy Quilt Top Nurse Ratched Quilting 27 July 9th 04 07:09 PM