pillow covers

Old October 26th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default pillow covers

I am finishing a pair of pillow covers, and think they're going to be
very nice! A pair of pillows came with my new sofa, and they are a
great size and very comfortable. However, they are really ugly and
not washable, so I measured them carefully, got out the wonderful
stack of stencils I have tucked away, and designed covers. Each side
of each pillow will have white fabric stitched with a brightly colored
thread in an ornate whole-cloth style pattern. The patterns are all
different, of course, as are the thread colors. I am using bias
binding tape to edge each piece, and will stitch together three sides
and add a matching zipper to the fourth side. One pillow will have
burnt red edging, and the other hunter green since I had that bias
tape on hand and even had matching zippers -- I suspect that stuff
came from my late mother's miscellaneous sewing stuff. Anyhow, the
sofa will certainly look nicer with those ugly pillows covered! I do
a fair amount of whole-cloth quilting using colored threads, and
always make a pillow cover to test out thread colors, since some look
great and others pretty miserable and a sample is really the only way
to know for sure. And I have found it uses up some of the fairly
unattractive cotton fabrics to use them for the inside of pillow
covers. By next week the sofa will look pretty good!

Old October 26th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

did you do any machine trapunto with those bright threads?
i reckon that would look super on one side.
i like different types of covers.
sometimes, i think its called a flange? if i do four sides i
mitre the corners
but sometimes only flange two ends.
i hate putting zippers in so i prefer doing the double flap,
tho guess that wont work when you actually want to see
either side as the mood takes you.
anyhow, just me rambling againk, got up too early and the
brain is slow today to get a move on.
got pix of your pillows yet?
i love pillow covers too. a great way to change the whole
mood of the room in an instant.
groggy in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Mary" wrote...

Old October 26th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I don't do any work with a sewing machine, and prefer to do hand work
for everything. Fortunately, speed is not an issue! I have my
grandmother's treadle sewing machine, but at the moment it has a stack
of "gotta read someday" magazines sitting on top! I like having
zippered pillow covers since I do get two sides and can flip them over
now and then, and it only takes one extra seam to put in a zipper.
Pillow covers are a great way to test out thread, fabric, and
technique -- if I like it, that's great, and it may sooner or later
wind up in a quilt. If not, it's just one side of a pillow cover and
is finished soon. I have found that different colors of threads
actually handle differently, even those of the same brand, and that
each one looks different when actually used, too, so it's really
important to me to make sure it's something good before I invest a lot
of time in a quilt. (One gold thread looked great on the spool, but
was simply miserable when used with whole-cloth work; a dark blue
thread looked black when used; and black thread, which I never
expected to work well, came out simply beautifully. Go figure!) The
"test" pillows are tucked here and there around the house -- primarily
in the guest rooms, but a few are in the living room. Best of all,
every one of those covers can be removed from the pillows, tossed in
the washer and dryer, and put back fresh and clean!

Old October 26th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Photos please! I'm trying hard to visualize this, and I can't. Not
unusual, I'm horrible at visualizing from discriptions. I desperately
want to see what you're talking about. I think it must be gorgeous.
Warning, I'm a terrible copycat and if I like it and can do it (not a
given) then I might end up making a pillow in tribute to yours. BEG

Sunny

Old October 26th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I'm actually making 4 small quilts, each 14" by 18". Each one is
white fabric stitched with a brightly colored thread in a stenciled
pattern I drew on with plain old No. 2 pencil (which washes out
later). It's whole-cloth quilting with color. (Traditional whole
cloth quilts are done in white thread on white fabric.) Each small
quilt is bound (edged) with bias binding tape ( the commercially made
stuff). Two are bound in hunter green, and will be sewn together on
the edges on 3 sides, and a zipper added on the 4th side, also in
hunter green. The other two are edged in a burnt red, and will have a
matching zipper. All of the small quilts are different in pattern and
in thread color, so the pillows will each have two sides to choose
which to show. They're really very simple to make, and a great way to
learn whole-cloth quilting -- why commit yourself to an entire quilt
until you know you like the technique and like the result?

button covers linda Sewing 0 June 28th 07 10:38 PM
Breathable Computer Covers [email protected] Quilting 2 June 13th 07 10:01 PM
SOFA COVERS awerty Marketplace 0 February 17th 07 02:24 PM
Bolster Pillow Covers AYNUR Needlework 0 October 27th 05 09:25 AM
Crimp covers Lee S. Billings Beads 5 July 29th 05 12:57 AM