Square needles

Old August 22nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

Default Square needles

See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting description. Has
anyone ever tried them?

--
Jan in MN

Old August 23rd 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

I'd think triangular would make for a better "perfect fit". My
all-time favorite pencils are the triangular art pencils I find
occasionally at Tschatschky Hell, er, Hobby Lobby.

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:52:34 GMT, "Midwest poster"
spewed forth :

See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting description. Has
anyone ever tried them?

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 23rd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

How odd--I was just thinking about square needles yesterday, and wondering
what it would be like to knit on them. I expect you'd have to figure out
your gauges all over again.

Georgia
www.georgiamorgan.net/html/knitting.htm
**stay tuned for a new FO!**

Old August 23rd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

1. Palm is a nice needle material. Palm needles in any shape are going to
be very nice - and expensive.
2. Square works better at larger sizes and with softer yarns. Larger sizes
minimize CTS, pinch problems. At larger needles sizes, palm is heavy.
3. Square does not work as well with smaller needles, tighter gauges, or
more firmly spun yarns.

I made 1 triangular needle. I made a few square DPN, and today, every
knitting needle in my stash is round. Square needles are easy to make, but I
found round to be worth the extra effort.

If you want square needles, you can buy the wooden blanks that they sell for
turning pens, and taper the tips yourself.

Aaron

Old August 23rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Midwest poster wrote:
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting
description. Has anyone ever tried them?

Well, they are odd looking, aren't they? I'd like to know if anyone tried
them, too.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 23rd 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Katherine wrote:
Midwest poster wrote:
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting
description. Has anyone ever tried them?

Well, they are odd looking, aren't they? I'd like to know if anyone tried
them, too.

They had them on PBS's Needle Arts Studio today. I'd imagine they'd take
some getting used to. Especially if they're all 14" like the ones they
demonstrated are.

sue
Old August 23rd 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Wooly" skrev i melding
I'd think triangular would make for a better "perfect fit". My
all-time favorite pencils are the triangular art pencils I find
occasionally at Tschatschky Hell, er, Hobby Lobby.

I was curious over the square needles.
But after have read your message, I agreee with you, Wooly!
Triangle pencils are perfect for me!

But I have one second thought, though.
We hold pencils another way than a knitting needle?
I coudn't find a triangle pencil to "try out" LOL!
AUD ;-)

Old August 24th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Katherine wrote:
Midwest poster wrote:
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting
description. Has anyone ever tried them?

Well, they are odd looking, aren't they? I'd like to know if anyone

tried
them, too.

They had them on PBS's Needle Arts Studio today. I'd imagine they'd take
some getting used to. Especially if they're all 14" like the ones they
demonstrated are.

sue

These are 11" needles

--
Jan in MN

Old August 24th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aud

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" skrev i melding
Ladies what is a traingle pencil ???
mirjam

wrote:

It is pencil which is not round, but formed like a triangle, so you can
get a better "grab" on it. It will not "slip" in your fingers.
(I know that sites with pictures are heavy to download, but here is a
link:
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Fab...Grip_2001.html )
AUD ;-))

Knitting speed ?? Yarn 40 August 22nd 06 09:50 PM
Hard S.E.X.; The Search for Golden Needles Yarn 6 January 5th 06 10:09 PM
Crochet: Moccasin-style slippers? Craftkitten (Darlene) Yarn 3 February 25th 05 11:28 PM
Message for animaux COL. BILL KILGORE Needlework 392 February 15th 04 10:41 PM
Request for your extra needles and hooks Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 2 February 5th 04 08:41 PM