Curiousity query for: men of the group AND those who donate chemo caps...

Old May 24th 04, 02:56 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default Curiousity query for: men of the group AND those who donate chemo caps...

With this new development in our lives, IE: Don's cancer (Lymphoma)... I am
curious... GUYS: would YOU wear a chemo cap if you lost your hair?
DONATOR's: the chemo caps you make and donate, any idea if men wear them?
Don may or may not lose his hair, and he's *not* a hat / slash / cap
*wearer*.... and also being summer, I'm thinking IF he would wear one, it'd
have to be sportweight or less and COTTON....
any thoughts on this?
I'm also thinking this might be a new thing for me to get into donating to
the VA and Vanderbilt Cancer Center.... any thoughts?
TIA,
Noreen

--
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
http://noreensknitche.ceejaycee.net
Old May 24th 04, 04:33 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Noreen i can send you a local summer hat that is popular with both
man and woman ,,
mirjam

Old May 24th 04, 06:54 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Noreen's Knit*che
wrote:

With this new development in our lives, IE: Don's cancer (Lymphoma)... I am
curious... GUYS: would YOU wear a chemo cap if you lost your hair?
DONATOR's: the chemo caps you make and donate, any idea if men wear them?
Don may or may not lose his hair, and he's *not* a hat / slash / cap
*wearer*.... and also being summer, I'm thinking IF he would wear one, it'd
have to be sportweight or less and COTTON....
any thoughts on this?
I'm also thinking this might be a new thing for me to get into donating to
the VA and Vanderbilt Cancer Center.... any thoughts?
TIA,
Noreen

Hello Noreen:

No I am not a man.....yet...LOL.

However I would think that the hats/caps for female cancer patients are
most likely not worn for the same reasons as for men cancer patiens

Most women in normal life do never go bald, thus when they go bald when
they do get chemo treatment, we want to protect their bald heads for many
different reasons...sunstroke, winter freezing cold protection, and also
to not have to cope under stressfull questions and stares when you have
lost all your hair while you are also having to cope with a serious
illness.

Men often are bald, and today it is even fashionable for men to have their
head shaven bald.
Don, if he does lose his hair would do well with a fancy men's sunhat, or
one of those lovely braided staw mens hats. He would look handsome, but
above all would protect himself from sunstroke. I also know that my
neighbour, who goes for chemo right now for lung cancer, is not allowed to
be in the sun because of the drugs she is taking. Willy also tried
wearing a wig and she hated it, she also donned a lovely straw sunhat,
when she had to go outside, one with a wide brim, and nobody could tell
she had lost her hair.

All the best for Don

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old May 24th 04, 07:29 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:33:38 GMT, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Noreen i can send you a local summer hat that is popular with both
man and woman ,,
mirjam

Mirjam dear friend of my heart, bless the thought!
Noreen

Old May 24th 04, 07:32 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Mon, 24 May 2004 10:54:04 -0700, Els van Dam wrote:

[...]

Els,thank you for your thoughtful insights.... Don is *not* a vain man, and
losing his hair would not be a vanity issue, but the sunstroke, heatstroke
issue is a huge concern on my part. I also know that because his
'resistance' will be 'down' from the chemo and radiation, there will most
likely be antibiotics in his regimen, and 'those' photosynthesize and cause
people to burn.
I wide brimmed hat may be the answer......
Again, thank you for responding! And I giggled, of course you're not a
man!
Hugs,
Noreen

Old May 24th 04, 07:33 PM
Seaspray

Noreen,
A bald look is in right now, so nobody would know anything. I work with
three guys that regularly shave their heads just for that "look". And this
may be alright for everyday, but going outside for any length of time he may
want to cover up. Maybe he could use a bandana, beret, or those beach hats
with the material down the back. They cover up very well and look stylish
as well.
Diane

Old May 24th 04, 08:27 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:33:43 -0400, Seaspray wrote:

Noreen,
A bald look is in right now, so nobody would know anything. I work with
three guys that regularly shave their heads just for that "look". And this
may be alright for everyday, but going outside for any length of time he may
want to cover up. Maybe he could use a bandana, beret, or those beach hats
with the material down the back. They cover up very well and look stylish
as well.
Diane

Thanks for your insight, Diane... he's NOT a vain man (though I have to
admit, if I looked as good as he does, I WOULD be vain, grin!)
covering up wouldn't be a vanity issue, it would be for sun exposure,
etc...
Again,
thanx!!!!
Noreen

Old May 24th 04, 10:20 PM
Spike Driver

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
[...]

I am not a hat person. I do not know if I would wear one. When I was in
the sun I would wear a baseball cap or something. I sunburn now if I don't
wear one. In the house or restraunt I would not wear one. LET THEM LOOK!

Hugs and God bless,
Dennis

Old May 24th 04, 11:32 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:20:43 -0500, Spike Driver wrote:

[...]

Dennis,
Thanks! Don's only worn cowboy hats and the occasional baseball cap, and
of course his swabbie cover.... he just doesn't LIKE hats! Wintertime,if
it's really really cold, he'll wear a HOOD, and ONCE he did wear a knitted
cap I made him, but it was 60 below windchill....
Methinks baseball caps and just maybe a swabbie cover might fill the bill.
Hugs to you dear friend, I hope your back and everything that ails heals
quickly!
Hugs to Gail too!
Noreen

Old May 25th 04, 01:45 AM
norma woods

Noreen, everything that I've read about this suggests strongly that any hat
should be sun proof. That would preclude straw hats that you can see light
through, and knitted or crocheted ones I expect. Maybe you could ask your
doctor about sun block and whether Don should use it? I would think that a
Tilly hat might be something that Don might just wear.

--
Star love,
Norma