sewing box - HELP!

Old December 16th 04, 11:55 AM
Valkyrie

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

and a better pair of scissors which
_are_to_remain_in_the_kit_,_period_!

My son is 36 years old, I quit using that tone of voice 18 years
ago.....probably why we get along so well now

Val

Old December 16th 04, 12:05 PM
Valkyrie

"CySew" wrote in message
I told him I'll give it some
thought. Maybe I could copy your idea since his job requires he travel
about 55-65% of the time.
Emily

I'm sure he'd love you for it. I started teaching my boys to sew, mend,
iron, sort laundry and all those other good survival skills when they were
young. In fact the sewing and ironing started when they went into Cub
Scouts. Now when they come for Sunday dinner there is always somebody at my
sewing machine mending things. That was when one of the laments about the
lack of 'equipment' came up and I decided to put together a kit for their
own places. So how come these guys are able to have great careers, own
homes, and all the rest of those things responsible young people are
supposed to aspire to but they can't/won't put together a sewing kit? LOL
Bless their little hearts.

Val

Old December 16th 04, 12:46 PM
Karen Maslowski

He, he, heh. Love it!

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old December 16th 04, 03:53 PM
CySew

As you did, all five of my children were taught to keep a clean home, do
laundry, cook whatever(including reading recipes), and sew anything they
wanted. These were the same skills my Mother taught her seven children. Of
course, the DS with whom I live, travels so much he doesn't have the chance
to cook or sew often, but when home, he has one particular machine that he
always uses, and I more or less take a vacation from the kitchen then as
well.
The sewing kit will go in his stocking, thanks to you, Val.
Emily

Old December 16th 04, 05:59 PM
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:55:21 -0800, "Valkyrie"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

and a better pair of scissors which
_are_to_remain_in_the_kit_,_period_!

My son is 36 years old, I quit using that tone of voice 18 years
ago.....probably why we get along so well now

Oh, I grok that, Val. How about using a subtle (?) hint? Like maybe
tying a string onto the lunch/sewingbox handle and around one ring of
the scissors? snicker

Not subtle enough? Mark both sides of the scissors as "good", so
before he starts to cut the tin can, he'll see that he has the wrong
pair.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

Old December 16th 04, 08:24 PM
handmaiden

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:55:21 -0800, "Valkyrie"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

and a better pair of scissors which
_are_to_remain_in_the_kit_,_period_!

My son is 36 years old, I quit using that tone of voice 18 years
ago.....probably why we get along so well now

Oh, I grok that, Val. How about using a subtle (?) hint? Like maybe
tying a string onto the lunch/sewingbox handle and around one ring of
the scissors? snicker

Not subtle enough? Mark both sides of the scissors as "good", so
before he starts to cut the tin can, he'll see that he has the wrong
pair.

OK. Now I don't feel like quite as much a goober for using "grok" so thanks!

~handmaiden
Old December 17th 04, 12:40 AM
BettyPego

I did a sewing kit for my son when he went off to college.....more than 25/30
years ago...the 70s......
I put it in a very decent basket with a tight fitting cover...
He still uses it.........

Today I might add one of those little bottles of liquid basting whatever. It
would be a quick fix .....

Old December 17th 04, 01:51 AM
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:24:19 GMT, handmaiden calmly
ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:55:21 -0800, "Valkyrie"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

and a better pair of scissors which
_are_to_remain_in_the_kit_,_period_!

My son is 36 years old, I quit using that tone of voice 18 years
ago.....probably why we get along so well now

Oh, I grok that, Val. How about using a subtle (?) hint? Like maybe
tying a string onto the lunch/sewingbox handle and around one ring of
the scissors? snicker

Not subtle enough? Mark both sides of the scissors as "good", so
before he starts to cut the tin can, he'll see that he has the wrong
pair.

OK. Now I don't feel like quite as much a goober for using "grok" so thanks!

~handmaiden

Jewelcome!

I'm a real sci-fi buff and have read everything by Asimov and
Heinlein, and I'm finishing up Niven's "Ringworld's Children",
the last unread novel by that wonderful author. Who's next?

To get back on topic, what types of heavy-duty sewing do people ask
you to do that your regular machine won't handle? I'd like to pay off
this new Consew by doing a few jobs with it.

Old December 17th 04, 02:13 PM
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:51:08 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

To get back on topic, what types of heavy-duty sewing do people ask
you to do that your regular machine won't handle?

Nothing. Think of my "regular machine" as a Unisaw with a needle on it
8-)

I spent last weekend making trousers from a very tightly woven cotton
moleskin. My favourite machine (a Pfaff 1222) was quite happy to sew
it and I didn't have to resort to Pfaffzilla the cast-iron industrial,
but the overlocker was definitely struggling.

The hardest fabric I have to sew with is some rubberised tarpaulin
that I use to make laptop bags. Sewing the liners (very flexible
lightweight mesh) and a layer of foam padding into those is a
nightmare - you can't image two more dissimilar materials.

Old December 17th 04, 03:02 PM
Karen Maslowski

Andy, I can't imagine having the strength to wrestle that stuff under
the machine! I've sewn some wacky things myself over the years, and the
hardest were the ones that used very heavy-duty materials.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio