Our local quilt show (long)

Old April 18th 04, 10:28 PM
Sandy Foster

Default Our local quilt show (long)

The local quilt show was this weekend. I spent all day Thursday scribing
for the judge -- from 8:00 to 5:30, with 30 minutes to sit down for
lunch. That's a long day of standing up and running all over the place!

The show opened on Friday, but I didn't get back to it until yesterday
(Saturday). There were *lots* of gorgeous quilts -- really stunning --
and over two dozen vendors to explore. I was pretty good, though, and
didn't buy them all out. I bought one half-yard piece of African fabric
to go with a silk screen I've had for almost two years; one day I'll
figure out exactly how I want to use it! G I also bought two FQs of
batiks in pale shades to use in a monthly challenge that's ongoing, and
then I bought some gorgeous thread. It's a spool of variegated put out
by Superior and designed by Marilyn Badger -- it's all shades of teal,
with a little purple thrown in. She was there and swears by this thread,
so I'll give it a try -- it may be just the thing to use on my Eureka
top when I quilt it later this year.

I'd gone to the show with a friend, and we met up with another friend
there. This one has moved away from the area (to cold Ohio) and was back
for a visit, so it was wonderful to see her again. Of course, she hadn't
ever seen our newest LQS, which is a year old this weekend, so we took
off to show that to her after we'd spent about five hours at the show.
The LQS was having an anniversary sale, and I got 50% off on a book I'd
been eyeing, so it was a good day. G

Last night one of our DGSs (aged three) spent the night so his parents
could go out on the town, and he was really adorable. This morning, he
joined me for a video chat with my DT (my twin sister), who lives in
France. Video chatting is how we get to see and talk to each other, so
we try to do that a few times a week, as well as emailing each day. DGS
completely charmed my DT, running out of the room and returning to show
her his various treasures, some of them multiple times. LOL!

Now I need *rest*! G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old April 19th 04, 12:01 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Sounds fun! Tell.....did you have any quilts in the show? Which ones?
What book did you get?

marcella

Old April 19th 04, 01:08 AM
Denise Jameson

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Sandy!!! The goings on with your
grandson and your twin via video chat sure closes the gap between
oceans, doesn't it? I truly marvel at technology today and how lucky
we are to be able to use all of this. It keeps us 'connected', and
really makes the world a smaller place.
Thanks for sharing, and put your feet up this week! :-)-+

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old April 19th 04, 02:42 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Denise Jameson wrote:

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Sandy!!!

It truly was, Denise.

The goings on with your
grandson and your twin via video chat sure closes the gap between
oceans, doesn't it? I truly marvel at technology today and how lucky
we are to be able to use all of this. It keeps us 'connected', and
really makes the world a smaller place.

That's for sure. My DT and I aren't good letter-writers, but (oddly
enough) we both love to use email. This business of video chats is
really wonderful, though, since we so rarely see each other.

Thanks for sharing, and put your feet up this week! :-)-+

Believe me, I plan to! g

Old April 19th 04, 02:43 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

Sounds fun! Tell.....did you have any quilts in the show? Which ones?
What book did you get?

Marcella, the lady who decided what the categories were going to be this
year made such a mess of it that I decided not to enter anything at all
this time -- I just couldn't figure out what was what! G The book is
Magical Hexagons -- it looks interesting!
Old April 19th 04, 04:33 AM
Polly Esther

Sandy, what is "scribing for a judge"? Polly

Old April 19th 04, 08:18 AM
Flossy

The thread sounds great...Ive never heard any one mention it before. Let us
know how it performs please

Marilyn Badger superior thread.
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://www.flossy.net

Old April 19th 04, 06:26 PM
Sandy Foster

In article .net,
"Polly Esther" wrote:

Sandy, what is "scribing for a judge"? Polly

Polly, the judge inspects and analyzes each quilt, and he/she needs
someone (or several someones!) to write down what is said. It's really
an interesting job, since you get to hear how the quilts are judged,
including a few comments that aren't destined for the sheets each
entrant receives back. Sometimes those comments are good, sometimes bad;
it depends, since the judges tend not to want to say *too* much at
either extreme (especially the bad side), for fear of overwhelming and
discouraging the quilter. The scribes generally are in charge of
attaching the award ribbons and keeping a log of which quilt won which
award, too. It's quite a job!
Old April 19th 04, 06:27 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
(Flossy) wrote:

The thread sounds great...Ive never heard any one mention it before. Let us
know how it performs please

Marilyn Badger superior thread.
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://www.flossy.net

I will, but I won't even start quilting with it until the end of this
summer or early fall. I'm waiting until I've taken my class with Kathy
Sandbach first!
Old April 20th 04, 12:38 PM
Polly Esther

Thank you, Sandy. How very interesting. I had not ever given a thought as to
how the judging went. Yes, I'm sure the job is enlightening and exhausting.
Polly