Focus on Design: Card Tricks Sep 07

Old September 24th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Card Tricks Sep 07

Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on
Design thread. The purpose is to encourage conversation
about quilt top patterns. This is not the place to talk
about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while,
but THIS thread is about Designing Quilt Tops!

FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic
is the elegant and simple Card Tricks Block. Most of
the patterns use triangles. Here are a few.

From Marcia Hahn's Quilters Cache:
http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CardTrickBlock.html
(MH states that it is a Jeffrey Gutcheon Design.)

From McCall's:
http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_902//index.html

Here is our Louise's lovely version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picturesfromlouise/

While searching for one made with squares and
rectangles, I came across this one:
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/basic/Cardtrick.html
(Turns out to be from our own Kim!)

What do you like? What is your experience with Card
Tricks Blocks and Quilts? Do you have a favorite
variation or color way?

PAT, Focusing on Design in Virginia

Old September 24th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

Pat, this is one of my favorite block patterns. It's so easy, and it
can be done in so many colorways. i used it last in a sampler quilt in
Amish bold colors that were "floated" on a black background. My DD
convescated the finished product, so i cant post a picture. I did this
in the HST setting, i wasnt aware of the "cheater"pattern then, but
would like to try a block using that pattern. Thanks for whipping us
in line!! Sometimes we take a tangent to other places...LOL!
amy

Old September 24th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

This is a block that I never felt interested enough to make a whole quilt
with. If I see a Card Trick quilt, it's fine, the color/ value combinations
can be interesting. But I have no more desire to make one.
Roberta in D

"Pat in Virginia" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on
Design thread. The purpose is to encourage conversation
about quilt top patterns. This is not the place to talk
about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while,
but THIS thread is about Designing Quilt Tops!

FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic
is the elegant and simple Card Tricks Block. Most of the patterns use
triangles. Here are a few.

From Marcia Hahn's Quilters Cache:

From McCall's: http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_902//index.html

Old September 24th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Ok, now that Roberta has broken the ice.....card trick is one of those
blocks that doesn't have much appeal for me. I can't really put my finger
on the reason why though. With that said, however, I did enjoy Louise's
quilt! Maybe it was because the two color scheme looks more like an
interlocking chain than a true card trick block. I do like it. Thanks for
speaking up Roberta. I thought I was the only one.......

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
This is a block that I never felt interested enough to make a whole quilt
with. If I see a Card Trick quilt, it's fine, the color/ value
combinations can be interesting. But I have no more desire to make one.
Roberta in D

"Pat in Virginia" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on
Design thread. The purpose is to encourage conversation
about quilt top patterns. This is not the place to talk
about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while,
but THIS thread is about Designing Quilt Tops!

FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic
is the elegant and simple Card Tricks Block. Most of the patterns use
triangles. Here are a few.

From Marcia Hahn's Quilters Cache:

From McCall's: http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_902//index.html

Old September 24th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I love that pattern. I made my son a wedding quilt using that pattern. You
can see it if you go to my webshots album under finished quilts.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on
Design thread. The purpose is to encourage conversation
about quilt top patterns. This is not the place to talk
about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while,
but THIS thread is about Designing Quilt Tops!

FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic
is the elegant and simple Card Tricks Block. Most of the patterns use
triangles. Here are a few.

From Marcia Hahn's Quilters Cache:

From McCall's: http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_902//index.html

Old September 24th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Pat:

What a wonderful idea, just focusing on quilting. I too thought the
card trick pattern was too simple and not my style. Thinking does
change.

I needed a simple pattern to make a baby quilt. Something fast. A
new grand niece was on the way I didn't know about till the last
minute.

I looked at several simple patterns, they didn't appeal to me till I
stumbled upon the card tricks. I purchased just enough of the "baby
colors" and started making it. I got stuck for the background color
and auditioned several. I had recently purchased some medium gray
mottled fabric. It fit in perfectly with my baby colors. Once I got
the quilt top completed I thought this is not big enough, so I added a
3 inch border, that wasn't enough and looked rather plain. I had
enough baby fabric left over that I made 3 inch log cabin blocks that
I refer to as rosebuds. I placed them on point at the top and bottom
with yet another border of the gray.

Darned if it didn't turn out rather pretty. The new parents were
surprised and very happy with the quilt. I asked them if the colors
were alright or would they rather I make it in another colorway.
Nope, this is what they wanted.

I really enjoyed making it. No "y" seams. NO ripping out time and
again. The work flowed so well that I completed the top in one day
and machine quilted and bound it the next. It measured about 40 by
60.

Sorry no pictures, Amelia is now 3 years old and drags her quilt
everywhere. The parents said they were sorry for the rough treatment
but I just laughed and said finally someone is using my quilts rather
than putting them away in a closet because "they are just to pretty to
use".

It's back to work on the queen size DWR I've been working on for
almost two years. Now this is a pattern I really dislike.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old September 24th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

This is my number one Hug block favourite!! As someone said later in this
thread, I doubt I would make a whole quilt of CTs but tend to use it as a
challenge for myself to make appropriate hug blocks. (Perhaps, after some
xxxx number, I may have got the pressing direction right, but hug quilt
assemblers probably disagree!!)

It's always a question of whether you go with four suits or only two. But
always a fun thing to play with colours.

Really looking forward to reading everyone's responses.

Cheers for now
Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
FOCUS on DESIGN! This time our topic
is the elegant and simple Card Tricks Block. Most of the patterns use
triangles. Here are a few.

From Marcia Hahn's Quilters Cache:

From McCall's: http://mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_902//index.html

Old September 24th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Card Tricks is a block that I don't dislike, but I don't love it,
either. I've made it as a single block in a sampler, but I really don't
think I'll ever make an entire quilt of it -- though opinions do change
over time.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 24th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Hello! Every once in blue moon, I post a Focus on
Design thread. The purpose is to encourage conversation
about quilt top patterns. This is not the place to talk
about the QI, nor chocolate, nor the relatives, nor
weather; it is okay to mention those once in a while,
but THIS thread is about Designing Quilt Tops!

What do you like? What is your experience with Card Tricks Blocks and
Quilts? Do you have a favorite variation or color way?

The first Quilt in a Day pattern I ever tried was a queen-size Card
Trick. It was okay, but definitely not my favorite pattern. After I was
done with it, I wasn't real happy with my fabric choices, so that may
have been a factor. Maybe someday I'll try it again. I think I may be
better at fabric selection now. I don't have a digital photo to share.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 24th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I like it for baby quilts too. You can do both bright colors and
strong contrasts with it quite easily.
It also works really well as a scrappy quilt.
Card Trick and Akansas Traveler (and the assorted variations of both)
are two of my favs for a fast baby or twin quilt.

NightMist

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:08:52 -0700, "Kate T."
wrote:

[...]

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with
the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.
- AA Milne