Heirloom binding?

Old November 23rd 12, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Heirloom binding?

Bear with me while I have a fit. The Christmas quilt that Louise longarmed
for us has arrived and her talent is magnificent, exquisite and incredible.
The quilt is a bit of everything Christmas except I didn't have room for The
Grinch. I'll put him on the back.
For certain, this beautiful quilt will be passed down and I want to
choose the best binding possible. I'm toying with the notion that a batik
might be good. I believe that blue or black would fade the soonest. This is
new territory for me - my quilts usually have a brief life expectancy with
chewing, leaking and drying the dog part of the drill. Help me choose a
binding. Please. Polly

Old November 23rd 12, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 23-11-2012 16:07, Polly Esther skrev:
Bear with me while I have a fit. The Christmas quilt that Louise
longarmed for us has arrived and her talent is magnificent, exquisite
and incredible. The quilt is a bit of everything Christmas except I
didn't have room for The Grinch. I'll put him on the back.
For certain, this beautiful quilt will be passed down and I want to
choose the best binding possible. I'm toying with the notion that a
batik might be good. I believe that blue or black would fade the
soonest. This is new territory for me - my quilts usually have a brief
life expectancy with chewing, leaking and drying the dog part of the
drill. Help me choose a binding. Please. Polly

I think fading is always a bit unpredictable - the reds of the past
could fade to a brown that seemed to have nothing to do with red...

I'd probably try to think not only about how fast a colour fades, but
also what colour it fades to. Only I have no idea about these things!

Safest bet: pick a colour that is good now and train heirs to switch out
worn bindings :-)

My first quilt was 10 this Summer, and is still in good condition
(despite the usual wash, dryer, picnic, tent, cape etc use). No fading
although the flannel on the back is not as furry as it once was.

Hanne in DK
Old November 23rd 12, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Could you use your 'trademark' yellow?
Would the colours of the quilt allow? Perhaps a sky blue wouldn't fade
too much? However, I don't think fading need be an issue: a gently
softer colour would probably continue to be attractive; and, if the
binding faded, then the rest of the quilt probably would too? If you
want a dark colour for the binding, perhaps a lovely forest green that
might fade to a still lovely green. The only colour I wouldn't use, I
think, is black. That can fade to many different colours - none of them
particularly lovely. Think of the way academic gowns can look after
some years - usually a dirty dark green colour with splodges of brown!
Maybe a burgundy red might not fade too prettily either - though that is
only a hunch. I agree with Hanne, though. Use a binding which enhances
it now, and let the future take care of itself!
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Old November 23rd 12, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I would think your Christmas quilt would only be used a month or two each year? That should make it last a long time on it's own as long as you store it safely- a whole 'nuther subject.

I like the idea of a batik because they tend to be a stouter fabric than some cottons. You can test what color a fabric will fade into by dropping some diluted bleach on a scrap.

The quilt sounds wonderful- YAY for Polly!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 23rd 12, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 23-11-2012 16:07, Polly Esther skrev:
Bear with me while I have a fit. The Christmas quilt that Louise
longarmed for us has arrived and her talent is magnificent, exquisite
and incredible. The quilt is a bit of everything Christmas except I
didn't have room for The Grinch. I'll put him on the back.
For certain, this beautiful quilt will be passed down and I want to
choose the best binding possible. I'm toying with the notion that a
batik might be good. I believe that blue or black would fade the
soonest. This is new territory for me - my quilts usually have a brief
life expectancy with chewing, leaking and drying the dog part of the
drill. Help me choose a binding. Please. Polly

Thinking a bit mo

Would the binding FADE more than the rest of the quilt? Maybe wear, but
I don't imagine fade.

So just go with what fits with the quilt, and the top and the binding
will fade together.

Hanne in DK
Old November 23rd 12, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thank you, Louise, for posting the photo! What a glorious, wonderful quilt! Most certainly a family heirloom in the making. I'd choose a deep red to match the border- a textural type batik with some deep green, blue, etc. in the batik. And there are some amazing batiks out there... any one of them would be honored to finish this fantastic quilt.

Congrats, Polly. You've outdone yourself.

Old November 23rd 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I think I would avoid anything that is a great contrast with the border.
You probably don't want the binding to draw the eyes away from the
center of the quilt. I would probably use the same red as the border or
a blue or green of similar intensity.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html