Newbie - is there an inexpensive method to vaccum investment?

Old February 28th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ben[_2_]

Default Newbie - is there an inexpensive method to vaccum investment?

First I want to thank MBStevens, Frosty, Peter W Rowe and Ted Frater for the
replies to point me in the right direction for finishing my first cast. All
advice was read and is much appreciated.

Regarding the investment process I'm not yet at a point where I can justify
the expense of a proper vacuum to de-bubble investment during wax casting.
As a result I will continue to have much finish work ahead. Am wondering if
there are any home-made alternative methods. I do have a large glass jar
and high temp silicone pad. I actually tried a method I remembered from
grade school science where I sealed the jar with flask inside and a lit
candle to remove the oxygen. That did seem to pull some of the bubbles out
but there's not enough of a vacuum affect. I read a "plumbers helper" could
create a vacuum but again not enough to properly de-bubble. I have no
access to used refrigerator pumps or anything like that.

So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
house or a typical home improvement store.

Appreciate any help.

- Ben

Old March 1st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

Ben schrieb:
[...]

A water-jet vacuum pump is very cheap, has an reasonable effect and can be
attached to each water-tap.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck gut verkaufen und günstig kaufen http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Geschichten berühmter Juwelen http://www.royal-magazin.de
Old March 1st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Ben wrote:
[...]

Isn't there a laboratory device that hooks to the water supply and
creates a vacuum?

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old March 1st 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Charlie Leo

So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
house or a typical home improvement store.

Appreciate any help.

Ben - As a substitute for vaccum debubbling, you can eliminate most
(not all) of the bubbles by coating your model with a thinner
investment before actually pouring your investment. Use a fine brush
to coat the model after you mount it on the sprue base. You can spot
the bubbles in the investment, then touch them with the brush tip. Let
the thin coat dry, then continue with a properly mixed investment.
Obviously, this is not a professional way of investing - it takes more
time and it doesn't eliminate all the bubbles.

Charlie

Old March 1st 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mick

On Feb 28, 7:59 am, "Ben" wrote:
So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
house or a typical home improvement store.

Have you tried a debubblizer? There are lots of brands available on
the net.
Here's one...

http://www.kerrlab.com/index/kerrlab...ns-debubblizer

Old March 1st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Finalizer

"Ben" wrote in message
| First I want to thank MBStevens, Frosty, Peter W Rowe and Ted Frater for
the
| replies to point me in the right direction for finishing my first cast.
All
| advice was read and is much appreciated.
|
| Regarding the investment process I'm not yet at a point where I can
justify
| the expense of a proper vacuum to de-bubble investment during wax casting.
| As a result I will continue to have much finish work ahead. Am wondering
if
| there are any home-made alternative methods. I do have a large glass jar
| and high temp silicone pad. I actually tried a method I remembered from
| grade school science where I sealed the jar with flask inside and a lit
| candle to remove the oxygen. That did seem to pull some of the bubbles
out
| but there's not enough of a vacuum affect. I read a "plumbers helper"
could
| create a vacuum but again not enough to properly de-bubble. I have no
| access to used refrigerator pumps or anything like that.
|
| So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
| made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
| house or a typical home improvement store.
|
| Appreciate any help.
|
| - Ben

The most expensive equipment in vacuum casting system is the vacuum pump.
You need a pump capable of at least 28 mmHg suction power. Nowadays, there
are plenty available to be had for less than $400. Go to a refrigeration
equipment supply store or Ebay and check around for good deals. To construct
the whole working system is not that complicated

Old March 1st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

Charlie Leo schrieb:
So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
house or a typical home improvement store.

Appreciate any help.

Ben - As a substitute for vaccum debubbling, you can eliminate most
(not all) of the bubbles by coating your model with a thinner
investment before actually pouring your investment. Use a fine brush
to coat the model after you mount it on the sprue base. You can spot
the bubbles in the investment, then touch them with the brush tip. Let
the thin coat dry, then continue with a properly mixed investment.
Obviously, this is not a professional way of investing - it takes more
time and it doesn't eliminate all the bubbles.

Charlie

That works very well. It is only boaring if you cast series.

With best regards,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Estate Jewelry http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Famous antique Jewelry http://www.royal-magazin.de

Old March 1st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ben[_2_]

"Charlie Leo" wrote in message

So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
house or a typical home improvement store.

Appreciate any help.

Ben - As a substitute for vaccum debubbling, you can eliminate most
(not all) of the bubbles by coating your model with a thinner
investment before actually pouring your investment. Use a fine brush
to coat the model after you mount it on the sprue base. You can spot
the bubbles in the investment, then touch them with the brush tip. Let
the thin coat dry, then continue with a properly mixed investment.
Obviously, this is not a professional way of investing - it takes more
time and it doesn't eliminate all the bubbles.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I was wondering about that actually. I tried one where I
painted some investment on but was using the regular mixture and didn't let
it dry. That's probably why I saw no improvement. I'll try again by doing
a special dilute mix, dry then invest.

Thanks again.

- Ben

Old March 1st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ben[_2_]

"Heinrich Butschal" wrote in message
Ben schrieb:

[snip]
So I'm wondering if anyone has thought of a creative and inexpensive home
made solution to de-bubble that uses materials that are found around the
house or a typical home improvement store.

A water-jet vacuum pump is very cheap, has an reasonable effect and can be
attached to each water-tap.

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.chemassociates.com/shopsi...erjetpump.html

Thanks,

- Ben

Old March 1st 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Heinrich Butschal

Carl 1 Lucky Texan schrieb:
Ben wrote:
[...]

Here You ca find an offer:
http://www.buerkle.de/katdeu/9668.php
Here You find a system explanation
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserstrahlpumpe

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Heinrich Butschal
--
Schmuck gut verkaufen und günstig kaufen http://www.schmuck-boerse.com
Geschichten berühmter Juwelen http://www.royal-magazin.de
Schmuck nach Maß anfertigen http://www.meister-atelier.de
Firmengeschenke und Ehrennadeln http://www.schmuckfabrik.de

inexpensive scissors Cynthia Mason Quilting 0 July 2nd 05 05:27 AM
best inexpensive scissors Cynthia Mason Quilting 8 June 29th 05 10:56 PM
vaccum casting machine Daniel Jewelry 0 January 3rd 05 08:38 AM
Stitch & Turn Finish was Is bagging a good method for a newbie? Lynn Tocker Quilting 0 August 31st 03 02:44 AM
Is bagging a good method for a newbie? Diana Curtis Quilting 5 August 31st 03 02:38 AM