How to remove a glued-in shirt label

Old February 28th 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
LurfysMa

Default How to remove a glued-in shirt label

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:15:08 -0800, Pogonip
wrote:

Juno wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

snip snip snip

I find all labels annoying

LOL! It's good that you have nothing more important to worry about :-)

Mary

Mary,if label bothers you it's no fun. I get a bad rash from them
because of whatever is in them. I understand the problem very well. I
have great sympathy for the OP. I remove all label as soon as I'm sure a
RTW fits. If I put a label in anything I make I try to put in on the
outside in a spot that doesn't show or I just leave them off.
Juno

"Better" clothes have the labels in the side seams.

Where do you buy your clothes? I have shorts from Polo, Brooks
Brothers, Nordstrom, Macy*s, etc. They all have labels in the back. I
have a PhD is label removing. I am a wizard with a seam picker! ;-)

I hate labels in
the back of the neck, poking and itching all the time. I'm a big fan of
Gilda Radner's "I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." Works
for me.

I agree, but it eliminates a lot of clothes.
Old February 29th 08, 08:44 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ursula Schrader

"Pogonip" wrote...
--
Joanne

That's a great motto, I think I'll write that down in calligraphy and pin it
to my wardrobe. ;-))

U.

Old February 29th 08, 08:57 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Pogonip[_2_]

wrote:

"Better" clothes have the labels in the side seams.

Where do you buy your clothes? I have shorts from Polo, Brooks
Brothers, Nordstrom, Macy*s, etc. They all have labels in the back. I
have a PhD is label removing. I am a wizard with a seam picker! ;-)

I hate labels in
the back of the neck, poking and itching all the time. I'm a big fan of
Gilda Radner's "I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." Works
for me.

I agree, but it eliminates a lot of clothes.

I've just noticed it in some few of my clothes. I'd have to go through
the closet to look for them, but I do know it was on pricier things
bought in boutiques, not large stores.

The other thing I hate is that monofilament thread that invariably is
cut so that the end pokes me in a tender place.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old February 29th 08, 10:25 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply

Ursula Schrader wrote:
"Pogonip" wrote...
the back of the neck, poking and itching all the time. I'm a big fan of
Gilda Radner's "I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." Works for
me.

That's a great motto, I think I'll write that down in calligraphy and pin it
to my wardrobe. ;-))

I have a sort of expanded variation on that -- I base my fashion taste
on what I can put on and then forget about the rest of the day, meaning
that I won't feel physically, mentally, or emotionally uncomfortable
wearing it and won't have to check it throughout the day to make sure it
hasn't shifted into something that is no longer reasonably flattering.
Old February 29th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Veloise

LurfysMa wrote:
Can anyone suggest a way to remove a glued-in label in the back of a
polo shirt?
...rather annoying rubberized label glued in the back where the sewn-in labels usually are.

I find all labels annoying and I always cut them out. This one glued
in and I cannot even get a corner free.

The label says it is a Cutter & Buck shirt and it also says CBDryTec.

The fabric sounds like a polyester, which is probably good
news...somewhat indestructible to mild solvents. Likely it would melt
if you applied enough iron heat to melt the label glue.

I would try a non-acetone nail polish. (Test a hem first.) Probably
lay the shirt flat, label side down (on a protected surface like a
sink) and apply the remover to saturate the fabric on the outside of
the label. Wait a few minutes, then tease the corners to determine any
progress.

Someone suggested sewing a patch on the skin side. You could also
carefully cut the label and the fabric out of the shirt, then sew a
slightly larger patch on the outside. (I've seen many shirts where the
manufacturer is not content to make a profit only from the garment
sale, but the wearer also has to become a billboard. A small piece of
colorful fabric used in this fashion could be a nice design element.)

There's always re-gifting...

HTH

--Karen D.
not responsible for any melted fabric!
Old February 29th 08, 08:37 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Lurfys Maw

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:10:55 -0800 (PST), Veloise
wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
Can anyone suggest a way to remove a glued-in label in the back of a
polo shirt?
...rather annoying rubberized label glued in the back where the sewn-in labels usually are.

I find all labels annoying and I always cut them out. This one glued
in and I cannot even get a corner free.

The label says it is a Cutter & Buck shirt and it also says CBDryTec.

The fabric sounds like a polyester,

The label sewn into the shorttail says 60% cotton, 40% polyester. It
also says machine wash cold, delicate cycle, no bleach, tumble dry
low, low iron if needed, no fabric softener, do not dry clean.

Why no fabric softener?

which is probably good
news...somewhat indestructible to mild solvents. Likely it would melt
if you applied enough iron heat to melt the label glue.

It says low iron if needed. Could I try that first?

I would try a non-acetone nail polish. (Test a hem first.) Probably
lay the shirt flat, label side down (on a protected surface like a
sink) and apply the remover to saturate the fabric on the outside of
the label. Wait a few minutes, then tease the corners to determine any
progress.

How about one of those products for removing stickers from jars, like
Goof-Off or Gunk. I use them all the time for getting the price
stickers off of things. I have had a couple of bad experiences where
it softened the plastic, link on a DVD case.

Someone suggested sewing a patch on the skin side. You could also
carefully cut the label and the fabric out of the shirt, then sew a
slightly larger patch on the outside.

Now you are messing with me...right?

(I've seen many shirts where the
manufacturer is not content to make a profit only from the garment
sale, but the wearer also has to become a billboard.

I never buy or wear those.

A small piece of
colorful fabric used in this fashion could be a nice design element.)

There's always re-gifting...

That would get me in trouble...;-)

HTH

--Karen D.
not responsible for any melted fabric!

What? That leaves only me.
Old February 29th 08, 09:34 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Lurfys Maw

wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
Can anyone suggest a way to remove a glued-in label in the back of a
polo shirt?
...rather annoying rubberized label glued in the back where the sewn-in labels usually are.

I find all labels annoying and I always cut them out. This one glued
in and I cannot even get a corner free.

The label says it is a Cutter & Buck shirt and it also says CBDryTec.

The fabric sounds like a polyester, which is probably good
news...somewhat indestructible to mild solvents. Likely it would melt
if you applied enough iron heat to melt the label glue.

I would try a non-acetone nail polish. (Test a hem first.) Probably
lay the shirt flat, label side down (on a protected surface like a
sink) and apply the remover to saturate the fabric on the outside of
the label. Wait a few minutes, then tease the corners to determine any
progress.

Based on your recommendations... ;-)

I tested some Goof Off on the shirt tail. I soaked it good, let it sit
for 10 minutes, washed it out with soap and water, then let it dry. No
discoloration or other effects.

I then soaked the back of the label as you suggested. At first, the
label didn't seem to be affected. I applied a little more Goof Off and
also applied some directly on the label. I am not sure if the Goof Off
dissolved the glue or the label itself, but it started getting soft. I
couldn't peel it off, but a butter knife was effective at scraping it
off. The label totally disintegrated, but it did come off.

I then rinsed the shirt and will pop it in the wash. It appears to
have worked.

Thanks for the tip.
Old February 29th 08, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Veloise

Lurfys Maw wrote:
Someone suggested sewing a patch on the skin side. You could also
carefully cut the label and the fabric out of the shirt, then sew a
slightly larger patch on the outside.

Now you are messing with me...right?

Not at all! If there's something permanent on a garment, covering it
up is an option. I feel your pain on the scratchy tags (yeah there are
troubles in the world and life, but if it's possible to wear a scratch-
free shirt, go for it).

I've sewn appliques and fabric patches over holes (designed or
accidental) forever. Also: Added wide gussets to underarms and
princessy side seams. Deconstructed a straight skirt, morphing it into
an A-line one. Added pockets. Removed shoulder pads. Picked out
elastic wrist casings and replaced with wide cuffs. Changed a hemline.
Made long sleeves into short. Made a tailed shirt into a straight hem.
Picked the tails off a patchwork shirt and added to side seams and
shoulder tops. Etc. etc.

A home handyman I know says, "anything can be fixed." Glad that the
citrus solvent did the trick. And if it leaves a mark on the center
yoke back, you know what to do!

--Karen D.
Old March 1st 08, 03:41 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Emily Bengston

wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

Let us know how it is after you laundry it, please. I have two that were
gifts I've never worn because of those glue-in tags. I will try the Goof
Off, I just purchased a bottle last week.
Emily

Old March 1st 08, 04:10 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Lurfys Maw

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 03:41:27 GMT, Emily Bengston
wrote:

wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
[...]

I did a quick manual wash in the sink with warm water and hand soap.
After it dried off, I could not see any discoloration or any other ill
effects. It did still have a very light smell of the Goof Off. I'll
wash it in a few days when I have a full batch.