T-shirt RAG quilt

Old September 19th 05, 03:55 AM
Leanne

Default T-shirt RAG quilt

Just heard this is a slick way to do t-shirts... using flannel on the back
side. Anyone tried this? Do I still have to use interfacing to stabilize
the shirts? What's a good filling -- a thin polyester batt or just another
layer of flannel? How much smaller would the batting need to be in each
square if I used a poly batt? Seems to me this would be kind of soft and
cozy. What do you think? I suppose you would still need to snip it every
1/2 inch but the t-shirt fabric wouldn't fray much. Hmmmm.

Leanne in MN

Old September 19th 05, 07:23 PM
Georg

Leanne wrote:
Just heard this is a slick way to do t-shirts... using flannel on the back
side. Anyone tried this? Do I still have to use interfacing to stabilize
the shirts? What's a good filling -- a thin polyester batt or just another
layer of flannel? How much smaller would the batting need to be in each
square if I used a poly batt? Seems to me this would be kind of soft and
cozy. What do you think? I suppose you would still need to snip it every
1/2 inch but the t-shirt fabric wouldn't fray much. Hmmmm.

Flannel for rag quilts shrinks a lot- and that's part of the charm. They
get more raggedy and fluffy the more they are washed.

T-shirts, because they have been washed a lot, tend not to shrink. If
you wash the flannel several times first, it may be an option. I would
still stabilize, because the knit fabric is Very Stretchy. Or stitch
over it a lot and stablize with thread. T-shirt decorations however can
be very hard to stitch through.

Also, my flannel rag quilts are very warm without batting.

Some points to ponder for you,
-georg