OT Holiday Baking

Old December 12th 03, 02:13 AM
seaspray

Default OT Holiday Baking

What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you are
famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian Cookies. I
do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name of the cookie.
They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It just wouldn't be
Christmas without them. How about you?

Old December 12th 03, 02:40 AM
Atara

"seaspray" seaside stitcher @ yahoo. com wrote in
:

What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you
are famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian
Cookies. I do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name
of the cookie. They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It
just wouldn't be Christmas without them. How about you?

Springerles. Christmas isn't Christmas without them.

(Err, and the sugar cookie cutouts. In addition to the usual holiday-themed
cookies - Santas, candy canes, trees, etc - I also mix the leftover
frosting into a brownish grey color and make little Christmas bats. Yes, I
have a bat cookie cutter, and they're always the first ones that disappear
from the plate! ^.^)

--
Atara
"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."
Old December 12th 03, 03:15 AM
SlinkyToy

I make snickerdoodles (which are just sugarcookies rolled in
cinnamon-sugar before baking), quickbreads (pumpkin, banana, zucchini
if somebody in the neighborhood is running a hothouse and foolishly
lets the zucchini move in for the winter), and sour cream sugar
cookies. Sometimes I make meringue cookies, but they're more work
than they're worth IMO and too similar in character to marshmallows,
which I despise.

I also make pie (pumpkin, fruit, pecan, pecan-custard and
pecan-pumpkin). Very occasionally I get really ambitious and make my
own chocolate truffles, but with a "helper" around that's difficult to
do effectively.

I also make yeast bread, yeasted rolls, cornbread, blah blah blah

Oh wait, these are all things I make year-round!

Michelle
Munching on yesterday's banana bread and contemplating entirely too
much knitting yet to do by Xmas...

But the house is (nearly) clean!

Old December 12th 03, 03:19 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:13:55 -0500, seaspray wrote:

What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you are
famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian Cookies. I
do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name of the cookie.
They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It just wouldn't be
Christmas without them. How about you?

Kolache!!!
Noreen

--
STRIP * tease * to email me.

Old December 12th 03, 03:54 AM
The Other Kim

Seaspray wrote:

What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you

are
famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian

Cookies. I
do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name of the

cookie.
They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It just wouldn't

be
Christmas without them. How about you?

For the past 5 years or so I've made peanut butter blossom cookies, the
ones with the Hershey's kiss in the middle. I save decorative tins from
other cookies, candies, etc., load them up with the peanut butter
blossoms, and give them to my clients as holiday gifts. The recipe I
have makes a *ton* of these things, and I've cut the original amounts by
4; the full recipe has the disclaimer "Makes a hell of a lot" on it, and
if I can get at least 7 dozen out of one-fourth of the amount...

I used to make spritz cookies of various flavors, shapes, and sizes, but
I got tired of those. Unclogging the cookie press too many times will
do that, I guess. I don't do cut-outs unless I absolutely have to. My
dad makes great cut-outs, and it's kind of a tradition to have everyone
over to Mom and Dad's for a cookie icing day.

Tonight I'm baking brownies for my daughter's class party tomorrow, then
it's time to mix up the dough for the peanut butter blossoms. Major
baking commences this weekend g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old December 12th 03, 03:56 AM
Els van Dam

In article , Atara
wrote:

"seaspray" seaside stitcher @ yahoo. com wrote in
:

What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you
are famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian
Cookies. I do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name
of the cookie. They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It
just wouldn't be Christmas without them. How about you?

Springerles. Christmas isn't Christmas without them.

(Err, and the sugar cookie cutouts. In addition to the usual holiday-themed
cookies - Santas, candy canes, trees, etc - I also mix the leftover
frosting into a brownish grey color and make little Christmas bats. Yes, I
have a bat cookie cutter, and they're always the first ones that disappear
from the plate! ^.^)

Apple strudel.....the Austrian/Hungarian way, baked by a Dutch Canadian
with little added Canadian touches.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old December 12th 03, 04:27 AM
Katherine

I order my cookies. (Hangs head in shame) I make a cherry cake and order a
fruit cake. Does that help?
Katherine

Old December 12th 03, 04:29 AM
Katherine

I love snickerdoodles!
And I guess I should add my own specialties to this list.
I make Kahlua fudge, snowballs, truffles, and rum balls. Delicious!
Katherine

Old December 12th 03, 04:36 AM
Sew-Sew Lady

"cherry cake" reminds me of another holiday favorite of mine... THE
Christmas Cake...has chopped cherries in a batter that whips up like
frosting. Quite possibly the most beautiful cake BEFORE baking!