How much to charge?

Old October 25th 03, 02:57 PM
SewStorm

I have to recommend the site Karen (SewStorm) posted in the thread:
For Other Pro Sewers Discounts?
(Go to the thread to find the email addy.)

http://www.workroomconcepts.com/articles.htm

For those who can't get to the thread.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old October 25th 03, 11:09 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

I laughed so hard, I nearly peed my pants! Been there, done that, big time!
That's why I don't do hourly rates and am extremely selective about my
clients....
Once, I even did a repair at no charge because it was worth far more to me
to embarass the uncouth, snot in public than any amount I could have charged
to do the repair job. Picture this: I am in a hotel room at an out-of-town
competition with my daughters. I have permission to travel only if I agree
to rest and recoup because I have pneumonia. The clod knocks on my door
repeatedly pleading with me to fix a lyrical dress (that I didn't make, no
less!) because her daughter could not go on stage with it falling apart as
it was. Clincher? My best friend's son did the choreography and I 'owed'
him for some of the extras he had done for my daughters. She used him as
leverage against me (Calen would be so disappointed, etc....) so I did the
repair. Then when she asked me at the theatre (in her loud brassy manner)
how much she owed me, I walked on by and partway up the stairs before I
turned and replied (very coldly!): "YOU couldn't pay me enough. I didn't do
it for you - I did it for Calen." There are some people I wouldn't sew for
for any amount of money - just not worth having to deal with that type.
Cynthia
"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
You will HATE sewing for $10 per hour. Several years back I asked
this group the same question and I couldn't immagine giving people
huge bills. So I priced myself at $10 per hour anyway, (because I
liked the work anyway - right?). Word flew and I was quickly swamped
with customers. Demanding ones, picky ones, some nice ones too. They
need it NOW, they need it YESTERDAY, they want the hemline you just
moved twice moved again so they can pick it up after they go for a cup
of coffee. They don't make a fitting and throw your schedule off so
you miss an outing with your family so you can make up the time
later.....since they still HAVE to have it. Or, perhaps the best one
yet, mother picks up the outfit for the daughter who doesn't bother to
try it on (like I asked her to on several occassions on the phone over
a couple weeks)...untill she was dressing for her Batmitzvah
(spelling?).......when she realized suddenly, that something wasn't
quite right and she needed me to desparately fix it.. Got that phone
message and decided on a picnic outing with the family - left
immediately and made sure I was gone all day. Raised my prices,
became picky about my clients, and I do lot's less sewing now for more
money. Ahhh. The price of sanity.
Joy

Old October 25th 03, 11:53 PM
Kate Dicey

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

[...]

They do say that revenge is a dish best served cold!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

UK Hallmarking Gripe! Terry Jewelry 28 December 30th 04 08:37 AM
Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
So, what do you pay for "blocking" or "stretching"? Momjws1 Needlework 3 December 11th 03 03:25 PM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
Glass etching...what to charge? Bill Browne Glass 1 August 10th 03 02:45 PM