OT-Reading Materials

Old May 21st 10, 11:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT-Reading Materials

On 5/20/10 11:23 PM, in article
, "Liz from
Humbug" wrote:

On May 20, 10:37*am, "Lucille" wrote:
I just got my new Kindle and now I have to add a book. * Since this is a
virgin, I want that book to be a really good read. *Not the great American
novel, just something entertaining. *I love mysteries and contemporary
novels. *Pretty much anything but Harlequin Romance.

Any suggestions?

Blessed Are the Cheesemakers, by Sara Kate Lynch. It's actually more
fun to listen to but it was also a good read. It is FULL of twists
and turns that will keep you guessing and laughing, and maybe even
crying. Or, there is Shadow of the Wind. It takes place in Barcelona
after WWII. I think the author on that one is "Zafon", but I don't
remember exactly. Happy Reading!
Liz from Humbug

That was good one and I read her other one too - oh what was it now.. By
Bread Alone. And it turns out she has a whole bunch of others too.

Another thought, though maybe not for book #1, is anything from Katie
Fforde. Perky little romances.

Cheryl

Old May 21st 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On May 20, 1:37�pm, "Lucille" wrote:
I just got my new Kindle and now I have to add a book. � Since this is a
virgin, I want that book to be a really good read. �Not the great American
novel, just something entertaining. �I love mysteries and contemporary
novels. �Pretty much anything but Harlequin Romance.

Any suggestions?

You mentioned wanting to read "The Forgotten Garden"
by Kate Morton. That's a suggestion if you don't want
to hold a "heavy' book while reading it, something DM
complains about these days.

Nancy
Old May 21st 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Nancy" wrote in message
On May 20, 1:37�pm, "Lucille" wrote:
I just got my new Kindle and now I have to add a book. � Since this is a
virgin, I want that book to be a really good read. �Not the great
American
novel, just something entertaining. �I love mysteries and contemporary
novels. �Pretty much anything but Harlequin Romance.

Any suggestions?

You mentioned wanting to read "The Forgotten Garden"
by Kate Morton. That's a suggestion if you don't want
to hold a "heavy' book while reading it, something DM
complains about these days.

Nancy

That's the one I finally decided to download. I figured it would be a good
way to start using the Kindle and would make it happy.

I couldn't remember who suggested that book and if it was you, thanks again.
It looks like a nice read and a good way to remove myself from the very
dark, very bloody mysteries I usually read.

Lucille

Old May 21st 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Lucille wrote:

"Monica Ferris" wrote in message
On May 20, 12:37 pm, "Lucille" wrote:
I just got my new Kindle and now I have to add a book. Since this is a
virgin, I want that book to be a really good read. Not the great
American
novel, just something entertaining. I love mysteries and contemporary
novels. Pretty much anything but Harlequin Romance.

Any suggestions?

Not to beat my own drum (much!) and to pull this back to slightly on
topic, you could download one of my mysteries in the Betsy Devonshire
mystery series. Set in and around a needlework shop in Excelsior,
Minnesota, they are light and cozy -- comfort reads, really. Titles
Crewel World, Framed in Lace, A Stitch in time, Unraveled Sleeve, A
Murderous Yarn, Hanging by a Thread, Cutwork, Crewel Yule, Embroidered
Truths, Sins and Needles, Knitting Bones, Thai Die, and Blackwork.
Forthcoming is Buttons and Bones.

Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris

Beat Away. Gillian visited me yesterday and told me, along with several
others, that I should be reading your books and I promise I will. They
do sound delightful. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure how I missed
them in the past.

I promised myself to read them now.

Lucille

Lucille, I will put the first two or three in the mail to you. Then you
can see if you want to read more. They are paperbacks, and lightweight,
so you don't have to schlepp anything heavy with you.

They are enjoyable, and the characters are definitely interesting...and
different. They follow through from one book to the next, so I prefer
reading them in sequence.

Gill
Old May 21st 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

On May 20, 2:40*pm, Monica Ferris wrote:
[...]

I've read up thru Sins and Needles......I need to get with it!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old May 21st 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
Lucille wrote:

[...]

Gill, you are undoubtedly one of the nicer and most thoughtful people and
the world is lucky to have you.

Lucille

Old May 21st 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 5/20/2010 1:37 PM, Lucille wrote:
I just got my new Kindle and now I have to add a book. Since this is a
virgin, I want that book to be a really good read. Not the great
American novel, just something entertaining. I love mysteries and
contemporary novels. Pretty much anything but Harlequin Romance.

Any suggestions?

Your #1 choice, Forgotten Garden, is a winner. Enjoy!

I think a good #2 would be "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand." A charming
story, full of good, old-fashioned virtues. You could really relish the
irony of immersing yourself in this "escape" while reading it on your
all-to-modern contraption, LOL!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old May 21st 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On May 21, 9:43*am, "Lucille" wrote:
"Nancy" wrote in message

[...]

I think that was Susan but I think I
endorsed her recommendation.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Nancy
Old May 22nd 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 5/21/10 10:39 AM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

Lucille wrote:

[...]

If Lucille likes them, and you don't have the others, just LMK, and I'll pop
my copies in the mail to Lucille. You're a good person, Gill!

Ellice

Old May 22nd 10, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On May 21, 3:18*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 5/20/10 11:23 PM, in article
, "Liz from

Humbug" wrote:
[...]

Oh, I forgot about those! I discovered them accidentally while looking
up Jasper Fforde and decided that I like Katie's books even
better. :-) Right now, I'm re-reading the Amelia Peabody books.

Liz from Humbug

Mixing materials hh Quilting 5 October 29th 07 01:21 AM
braiding reading materials Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 1 August 9th 07 04:38 AM
Using Unusual Materials Min Quilting 27 June 12th 06 05:08 PM
Working with odd materials... Valerie Yarn 26 October 19th 04 02:57 PM
Raw materials C A . Butler Polymer Clay 1 October 17th 04 02:40 AM