family reunion preparation

Old June 23rd 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default family reunion preparation

Hi friends, I am preparing square muslin blocks for my family to put their handprints on and their signature,
and then I will create a quilt or table-cloth with the squares.
need an idea how to do this.
one idea is to trace their handprint with sharpie...?
one idea is to use acrylic paint on their hands, and they press their hands onto the square cloths. and then later, I paint the handprints with Textile medium to make them permanent.

what have you done with this idea.?

thanks,
Carol Sue
Old June 23rd 17, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hi Carol sue,
One idea, if you want different colors, is to have people trace their hands onto paper. Use that as a pattern to trace onto fabric. Back with lightweight fusible interfacing, and put onto muslin squares. Blanket stitch or do different embroidery stitches around each hand to secure it to the square.

This way you could use fabric that means something to the person whose hand it is. For example: puppies for a little boy, flowers for someone who likes to garden, etc.

Hope this gives you some idea...

Ginger in CA
[email really is ]

Old June 24th 17, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

wrote in message

Hi friends, I am preparing square muslin blocks for my family to put their
handprints on and their signature,
and then I will create a quilt or table-cloth with the squares.
need an idea how to do this.
one idea is to trace their handprint with sharpie...?
one idea is to use acrylic paint on their hands, and they press their hands
onto the square cloths. and then later, I paint the handprints with Textile
medium to make them permanent.

what have you done with this idea.?

thanks,
Carol Sue

If you are going to trace the handprint, please use a pen from the cloth
dept. of your store or it will bleed sometime during a wash-----it will not
be permanent.
Barbara in SC