Vintage Singer attachment question

Old December 21st 03, 09:26 PM
M. Wetmore

Default Vintage Singer attachment question

Hi All:

Can any vintage singer experts out there take a look at these two
attachments:

http://mardiweb.com/quilts/feet.jpg

Question 1, what the heck is the foot on the left for? What's the
purpose of the round metal thingie sticking out the right of the foot,
held in place by a screw?

Question 2, this is one of the attachments I got in a box of Greist
attachments. How does it attach to a foot or to the machine?

Thanks.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old December 21st 03, 09:48 PM
Taria

the photos make it a little hard but the one on the left is actually
kind of a holder for the other foot. if you take the foot on the
right and put it on the left on it makes a complete foot. The screw
will go through the large part of the hole and then you push it over
to the small part and it holds tight. looks like the one you have there
is for stitching on binding. Hope that is a tad clearer than mud.
Taria

Old December 21st 03, 11:04 PM
M. Wetmore

I wish that was the way it worked. But the one on the left is an
actual foot of some sort. What looks like a screw is not, it is a
brad that attaches the black thingie on the right. The hole in the
foot on the left is perfectly placed for the needle. Maybe the black
think is supposed to be a thread cutter? Oh well, I'll keep
searching. I know there must be some kind of a "base" foot for the
attachment on the right, but I haven't found one yet.

Mardi

Old December 21st 03, 11:52 PM
Katrina Worley

Taria is correct... you have the base foot and the wide binder that fits
onto it. That black thing is the release to allow you to change feet.
I have that same foot (and the rest of the set). I've put a couple of
pictures up showing the how the two fit together.

http://homepage.mac.com/kworley/phot...toAlbum17.html

Katrina

Old December 22nd 03, 01:06 AM
M. Wetmore

Hi Katrina:

Thanks to both you and Taira. The pictures helped greatly. Now I get
it. That's pretty clever. I now have a box of attachments I know how
to get onto the machine, but don't have a clue as to what they do.
But, I think a little exploring and experimenting might answer those
questions for me.

Again, thanks to both of you and have a great holiday!

Mardi

Old December 22nd 03, 01:15 AM
Taria

I don't have a copy in front of me but if you don't have the Mary
Brooks Picken Singer book it is a great resource for lots of
attachment info. They are often on Ebay for almost nothing.
Taria