Why did it melt?

Old August 19th 04, 03:48 PM
Charlie

Default Why did it melt?

I was trying to solder some silver (1mm I think) wire to itself in a simple
filigree type thing using hard solder. I followed all the instructions in
my book yet the wire melted before the solder. I'm using a small butane
hand torch, would that make a difference? If so, I'm going to have to give
up my new hobby!

Charlie.

---

Old August 20th 04, 07:32 AM
C. Gates

Charlie wrote:
I was trying to solder some silver (1mm I think) wire to itself in a simple
filigree type thing using hard solder. I followed all the instructions in
my book yet the wire melted before the solder. I'm using a small butane
hand torch, would that make a difference? If so, I'm going to have to give
up my new hobby!

Charlie.

Don't quit on a new hobby so soon!

First, make sure you are working in fairly subdued light. If you see a
section of the wire turn red, watch out. Back off on the heat.
Apparently what's happening is that the solder is small and does not
conduct heat away like the wire does. So it gets hotter than the wire --
no builtin radiator. That's why you have to weave the flame over the
entire piece, not just one spot.

Second, try using medium solder. See if that's easier.

You can probably still use butane/propane, but use a large tip, so the
whole piece gets heated. You know like large enough to solder half inch
copper tubing. And hold it further away.

Go for it!

Old August 20th 04, 07:32 AM
NE333RO

I was trying to solder some silver (1mm I think) wire to itself in a simple
filigree type thing using hard solder. I followed all the instructions in
my book yet the wire melted before the solder. I'm using a small butane
hand torch, would that make a difference? If so, I'm going to have to give
up my new hobby!

At a guess it's probably one of three things (it usually is). Cleanliness
of the piece, wrong solder and/or flux, or allowing the heat to remain in one
place too long rather than heating the whole piece.
Old August 21st 04, 03:38 AM
Lamedeer

You might try soldering something more simple than filigree until you
develop your skill. The heat source is not the problem.

Old August 21st 04, 09:03 AM
Charlie

It couldn't get much more simple, it was a straight piece of wire to a
curved bit of wire!

Charlie.

Old August 21st 04, 03:43 PM
William Black

"Charlie" wrote in message
It couldn't get much more simple, it was a straight piece of wire to a
curved bit of wire!

What almost certainly happened is that the wire wasn't heated consistently.
A bit of it got hotter than the solder and the rate at which the heat
dissipated wasn't fast enough and it melted.

It's a problem you get with small torches.

Everything has to get hot together.

You have to practice.

--
William Black
------------------

Old August 21st 04, 05:21 PM
C. Gates

Charlie wrote:
It couldn't get much more simple, it was a straight piece of wire to a
curved bit of wire!

This is how you perceive the problem as a complete beginner.

If you accept the challenge of learning how to become really good as
soldering and other skills used in jewelry making, you might develop
different perception and a greater willingness to entertain all advice.

You did not say what guage wire you were using. We are assuming that it
is extremely fine, but either large or small, the area of contact
between the two wires is small; it is difficult to place the solder in
contact with the joint, and even heating can be tricky, especially with
the torch you are using. There are ways around these problems, and it
helps if you know the fundamentals of soldering.
Old August 21st 04, 09:11 PM
Charlie

It was 1.2mm wire, but I think the problem was that I didn't flux the joint
enough, or I mixed up the flux too thinly. Will try again possibly
tomorrow.

Charlie.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:49 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Charlie"

It was 1.2mm wire, but I think the problem was that I didn't flux the

joint
enough, or I mixed up the flux too thinly. Will try again possibly
tomorrow.

Having learned to solder at age ten and in the electronics business for all
of my working life, I thought I knew all there was to know about soldering.

This "hard" soldering is a whole new experience and one of the most
challenging things I have tried to learn. I am not there yet by a long shot
but in spite of the all the flack, I have learned a great deal from this
group.

I really don't understand what it is you are trying to do but if I can
solder jump rings, you should be able to solder your wire.

The best advice I can give is to simulate whatever it is you are trying to
do on somthing other than the real thing and try different techniques and
solders till you feel confident enough to attack your real project.

And of course.... wade through the lectures and Amazon promos and keep
slugging till you get an answer.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/pow.htm