Sewing machine making very small stiches

Old January 7th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ed from AZ

Default Sewing machine making very small stiches

My wife's sewing machine is making vey small stiches on the highest
number. We can't get the stiches any longer than maybe 1/8 inch.
It's an older Brother machine, a very basic model. I worked for a
short time on industrial sewing machines in a blue-jeans manufacturing
plant, so I recognize that there's a problem with the feed dogs not
taking a full stroke. But I can't identify what might be causing it on
this machine. It also doesn't have all the access covers out
industrial machines did, and I'm afriad that if I crack open the
covers on this thing I might not get all the pieces back in!

Any words of wisdom?

Ed
Old January 7th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Ed, have you removed the throat plate and cleaned out the feed dog area?
Often that gets overlooked and packed with lint which keeps the feed
dogs from operating as they should.
BTW, whereabouts in Arizona are you? IF you are anywhere close I would
be glad to stop by and check it out, or give you a recommendation on
where to get it serviced. G

Pati, in Phx

Old January 7th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Have you checked the pressure adjustment for the presser foot? If it's too
light the feed dogs can't grip the fabric to move it along.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
Hi, Pati. I'm in Yuma. Just had the throat plate off the other day
to oil - didn't see anything unusual.

Ed

Ed from AZ wrote:
My wife's sewing machine is making vey small stiches on the highest
number. We can't get the stiches any longer than maybe 1/8 inch.
It's an older Brother machine, a very basic model. I worked for a
short time on industrial sewing machines in a blue-jeans manufacturing
plant, so I recognize that there's a problem with the feed dogs not
taking a full stroke. But I can't identify what might be causing it on
this machine. It also doesn't have all the access covers out
industrial machines did, and I'm afriad that if I crack open the
covers on this thing I might not get all the pieces back in!

Any words of wisdom?

Ed- Hide quoted text -

Old January 7th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

And wouldn't it be a problem the other way too? If the pressure adjustment
is too heavy, maybe the feed dogs simply can not send fabric by any better.
And Ed, just because you had the throat plate off recently doesn't mean you
might not have missed something. Get a serious light in the area and see if
there's a glob of fuzzy gumming up the works. Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote Have you checked the pressure
adjustment for the presser foot? If it's too
light the feed dogs can't grip the fabric to move it along.

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

"Ed from AZ" wrote Hi, Pati. I'm in Yuma. Just had the throat plate

Old January 7th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Jan 7, 11:49*am, Ed from AZ wrote:
My wife's sewing machine is making vey small stiches on the highest
number. *We can't get the stiches any longer than maybe 1/8 inch.
It's an older Brother machine, a very basic model. *I worked for a
short time on industrial sewing machines in a blue-jeans manufacturing
plant, so I recognize that there's a problem with the feed dogs not
taking a full stroke. But I can't identify what might be causing it on
this machine. *It also doesn't have all the access covers out
industrial machines did, and I'm afriad that if I crack open the
covers on this thing I might not get all the pieces back in!

Any words of wisdom?

Ed

My machine has an adjustment button for width and length of stitches -
as well as another button for stitching on stretch fabric - does your
machine just have one button? Would you be overlooking another button
by any chance? My machine isn't anything fancy - just a Kenmore - but
it does all I want it to do for now anyway. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)
Old January 8th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ed from AZ

Hi, All.

The feed dogs seem to travel a full distance up and back, with back
and forth variable depending on where I set the stitch length knob.
There is no other stitch knob except for width (zig zag). The presser
foot has no external user adjustment, but it's got plenty of pressure!

It may be time for a full-body tune-up on this thing. *sigh*

Thanks to all who chimed in.
Ed

On Jan 8, 3:28*pm, "Pat in Virginia" wrote:
Ed:
Check the face plate. Is it seated properly? Once I had similar short
stitching issues and realized that I hadn't reinstalled the face plate the
correct way.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the Land of RCTQ. We have fun
here, no moderator, no rules. The only thing you really need to know is that
it is very wise to have your chocolate vetted. Just send a pound or two to
the Office of the Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ, which is in my Palace
here in Virginia. I will test and taste and report back via email. You don't
have to thank me ... this is my unselfish volunteer duty in RCTQ. A tough
job, but someone's gotta do it.

Pat, Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ

Old January 9th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
My wife's sewing machine is making vey small stiches on the highest
number. We can't get the stiches any longer than maybe 1/8 inch.
It's an older Brother machine, a very basic model. I worked for a
short time on industrial sewing machines in a blue-jeans manufacturing
plant, so I recognize that there's a problem with the feed dogs not
taking a full stroke. But I can't identify what might be causing it on
this machine. It also doesn't have all the access covers out
industrial machines did, and I'm afriad that if I crack open the
covers on this thing I might not get all the pieces back in!

Any words of wisdom?

I went round and round with that one....

until I replaced the bobbin thread, and checked the 'adjustment' on the
bobbin case.

Seems somehow 'something' was wrong. I tossed a couple of the oldest bobbins
(in case the bobbins themselves were at fault) re-wound fresh thread on a
'manufacturers brand' bobbin (not a generic from a sewing store) and,
finally, looked at the bobbin case as I inserted the bobbin. Who knew that
there was an adjustment on the case?

I googled and found a link with pictures (it is for an embroidery machine,
but the pics at the bottom are generic enough to get you started). There's
even a test you can do to see if that is the problem, before you mess with
the screwdriver.

Old January 9th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Bah! How did I forget to include the link???
http://www.swfeast.com/en/swf_service_ten_adj_A1.html