pattern question

Old August 31st 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default pattern question

I was wondering how many quilters actually *need* patterns for most
things involving just blocks.. I found a lovely apron made of 5"
blocks among my grandmothers things and managed to figure it out
pretty easily. If I drew a picture of it on graph paper and posted
the picture, would most people be able to figure it out? Would anyone
actually be interested would be a better question. It looks pretty
easy.

Not that I expect to get around to this immediately but I thought it
would be a nice thing to share. Depending on what fabrics you chose,
it could be made into a lovely vintage looking thingy or a bright
festive holidaythingy, or just about any color combination
imaginable. After looking at it, I could also whack off the bib part
for just an around-the-waist apron.

Just looking for opinons right now. The sofa seems to be in need of
being held down right now. Maybe I can take my graph paper and
markers and work on something.

Tamra

Old August 31st 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I love working out how blocks I discover are made. I also work out how
to make lots of things around me in patchwork. But, I don't think this
is an automatic thing for some people. So, I think to share things like
you suggest, is always worthwhile.
I keep planning to make an apron - Chinese coins pattern I think; and I
think I will do it in Christmas fabrics, as that has to be one of the
'messiest' meals to prepare - and apron that looks nice as well would
seem to me to be welcome. Mind you, I think mine will just be the
one-off! But, if you can do it, go for it. Working out patterns is
great fun I think.
..
In message om,
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 31st 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

Yes! I am in need of an apron pattern! Doing one for a friend and
want something unique!

Mauvice in central WI

Old August 31st 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

I seldom use patterns. Most of my quilts are "designed"
by inspiration, the fabric talks, or I see a quilt pic and think,
"this is how'd I'd make that."

An apron, with or without bib, was the first thing we had to
learn in 7th-grade home-ec class. Everyone I knew recv'd one of those,
right before I learned to crochet. G

"Reproduction" aprons are very much in style now.
Good luck!

R/Sandy --sometimes as apron isn't enough; I have to change clothes
after a stint in the kitchen 8-

On 8/31/07 11:59 AM, in article
, "

Old September 1st 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:59:32 -0700, wrote:

I was wondering how many quilters actually *need* patterns for most
things involving just blocks.. I found a lovely apron made of 5"
blocks among my grandmothers things and managed to figure it out
pretty easily. If I drew a picture of it on graph paper and posted
the picture, would most people be able to figure it out? Would anyone
actually be interested would be a better question. It looks pretty
easy.

Your drawing would be a pattern. A rough one, but a pattern none the
less. Most experienced sewists could figure it out.

Not that I expect to get around to this immediately but I thought it
would be a nice thing to share. Depending on what fabrics you chose,
it could be made into a lovely vintage looking thingy or a bright
festive holidaythingy, or just about any color combination
imaginable. After looking at it, I could also whack off the bib part
for just an around-the-waist apron.

Just looking for opinons right now. The sofa seems to be in need of
being held down right now. Maybe I can take my graph paper and
markers and work on something.

Tamra

FWIW, if it is a fancy apron, I'd be interested in a full front view
drawing for possible applique use. But I am unlikely to make myself
an apron because I don't use them.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 1st 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:28:42 -0500, Sandy Ellison wrote:
R/Sandy --sometimes as apron isn't enough; I have to change clothes
after a stint in the kitchen 8-

That is too funny!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 1st 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Most of us on rctq would probably be able to figure out how to put a block
together. Don't know about most other people. My preferred method for
piecing is to make a lot of blocks (often from scraps) with no thought of a
finished design, and just let it grow.
Roberta in D

ps.com...

Old September 1st 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

I bought an apron - a pretty red bibbed one. I have it hanging on a hook in
my kitchen and it looks great as a decoration! I do wear it on an occassion
though. When cooking for my DH and I use the microwave a lot, and don't make
saucey things. Very simple for us as we are watching our food intake and fat
and sugar. However, when we have company I always put on my apron because I
have to make a mess on my "better" clothes. Besides, it makes me feel "chef
like".

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old September 1st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di

Hi Tamra,

I would love to see a picture of the apron - I have a small collection some
of which belonged to my Mother and some I used to be able to wear when I was
trim, slim and a messy cook - still messy, can't cook but love aprons.

Di
ps.com...

Pattern Copyright Question Sandy Yarn 4 September 9th 06 08:59 PM
pattern question Kristine Quilici Yarn 7 April 21st 04 02:24 AM
Pattern question. Barb Yarn 9 April 15th 04 01:30 AM
Pattern Question lj Yarn 16 February 27th 04 11:10 PM
pattern question Natalie Quilting 4 January 1st 04 02:55 PM