Pattern Question

Old February 26th 04, 02:01 PM
lj

Default Pattern Question

Hi all,

I am new to both knitting and this group so my apologies if this is not an
appropriate question for this forum.

I found this pattern for a hat I would like to knit:
http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa020303.htm

But I'm a little confused by some of the decreasing in the instructions:

"1. Cast on 100 (106/112) sts in base color and join
2. Round 1: P round to end
Rounds 2 & 3: K rounds to end
Round 4: *SSK 1 (which is Dec 1), K 7* and repeat from * to end of round
Rounds 5 - 10: K rounds to end

You should be left with 80 (86/92) sts to begin color chart. "

Round 4 is what's causing the problem. If I start with 100 stitches and
then get to Round 4, first of all, it doesn't use up all 100 stitches in the
round and second of all, it doesn't decrease the round by 20 stitches (to
leave me with 80). Am I completely missing something? I was thinking if I
replaced rounds 4 & 5 with a round of SSK1, K8 and one of SSK1, K7 I might
have better luck. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Laura

Old February 26th 04, 02:48 PM
Karen in MN

"lj" wrote in message
[...]

Laura, I'm wondering if there is a typo in the pattern and that SSK should
actually be SSSK, a double decrease -- that would leave you with 80
stitches, and it would come out even without remaining stitches after
knitting the round. Plus, looking at the picture of the hat, it seems to
make more sense.

Karen in MN

Old February 26th 04, 03:41 PM
Maine-iac Rose

It does look like a typo, but in order to dec 20 in 1 row, which I think is
too much, would be: to *SSK 1 (which is Dec 1), K4* and repeat from * to
end of round.
Now to do it in 2 rows, which I think they may have been trying to get at,
would be: *SSK 1 (which is Dec 1), K9* and repeat from * to end of round.
And in my opinion even doing 2 rounds would be better, just do them on Round
4, and Round 8.
And no apologies needed, this is the right place to post something like
that, others have and they have been helped out also. We are here to help
those that need help, and someday you'll be in our shoes helping others. It
just takes time to learn new procedures, and how knitting patterns work.
Just FYI, I have been knitting for about 30 years, and have seen many
patterns with typos, and had to figure it out on my own. Luckily I could do
that, but that comes with years of experience.
Well good luck Laura.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns so you don't get pricked,
and add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me.

Old February 26th 04, 03:42 PM
Katherine

lj wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, they want you to decrease 20 sts around. I would go with SSK1 (to dec
1), K3 around. That would give you 20 decreases, so you would end up with 80
sts for the smallest size.
This is only one option. I am sure that other people will have other
suggestions.
HTH
Katherine

Old February 26th 04, 04:16 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Laura,

Seeing I don't use circular needles I'm no help, but do want to welcome you to
this great group. Come back and let us know how you make out.

Nora
Old February 26th 04, 06:43 PM
RigPilot

Come on folks. Look at the pattern. It is a 20 stitch decrease over 7 rows
..... rows 4 through 10.

Old February 26th 04, 07:03 PM
Maine-iac Rose

Then why are Rounds 5-10 the same as Rounds 2 & 3. I think that i was still
right, by replacing the 7 with 9, and repeating the decreace again in round
8. Probably the best thing is to start off with 80 stitches, K 10 rounds,
do the pattern, then do the top decrease. Now that is only for the small
pattern, I need to do the math for the medium and large size.

Old February 26th 04, 07:54 PM
Liz

Definitely an error in the pattern. You are creating the fluted edge
to the cap, so need to drop 20 stitches in a hurry. You are a long
way away from the decreases at the top of the hat, where you need to
keep to the decrease pattern precisely, for a neat finish. I would be
tempted simply to distribute the 20 decreases evenly along the row.
The stitches are in a ratio of 100 to 80, or 10 to 8, or 5 to 4, which
gives you a "turn two into one and then knit three normally" pattern.

hth

Liz Hanson

--
Liz Hanson
Old February 26th 04, 08:00 PM
Karen in MN

That's what I thought at first too -- and then when I looked at the picture
of the hat, it looked like a more severe and less gradual decrease from the
brim to the rest of the hat, which is why I then thought maybe it was SSSK
rather than SSK. Maybe just the way I'm seeing the hat, I don't know.

Karen in MN

Old February 26th 04, 08:47 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

[...]

Will get *another* set of needles out and try it.... maybe someone else
will beat me to it...
This is the perfect place to post your question, AND, welcome to the group.
Noreen
who has three knitting projects going on right now... hence the above
*another*, grin!
--
http://mail2office.tripod.com/noreensknitche/
http://mail2office.tripod.com/musings/