OT Christmas Stamps

Old December 3rd 03, 03:00 PM
Ophelia

"G.Kelly" wrote in message
OH ! yes I agree Prague is just a real place for all senses but as for the
slivorvitch I am still hot from the only one I have ever had ( surely I am
too old for hot flushes !! ) so it has to be the remnents of the drink
still in my system God Bless gwen

LOL. That plum brandy tastes like lighter fuel to me..

I have some in the house and it hasn't been touched for around 3 years

Ophelia

Old December 3rd 03, 08:38 PM
Anna MCM

G.Kelly wrote:
Ooooooo Anna Maria is there "really" anything worse than slivorvitz ?? =

cannot believe there can be - save me from it !!!! God Bless Gwen
=20

Absinth is also called the "green fairy", it=B4s more similar to a=20
narcotic and allucinogen than to a alcohol drink. Better avoid it!

Absinth drinker are often portrayed in 1800 paintings, here you have an=20
exsmple from Degas:

http://utenti.romascuola.net/bramart...o/img/deg6.jpg

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old December 4th 03, 07:42 AM
CMM PDX2

Aud wrote:

I have been to some restaurants at Kampa,
But may be not THAT you mean! It is always a *quiet* feeling
there, and I love to join you there. The restaurant *Kampa Park*
is managed by a Norwegian ;-) Thet have a marvellous
chef(not Norwegian) BUT I have never been there! My DH has
been there several times, when school (either
students+teachers or just teachers and administration) have
had study trips to Czech.
The link: Click around, please:
http://www.kampapark.com/

http://lsinzelle.free.fr/Prague/nuit...ce%20kampa.jpg

http://lsinzelle.free.fr/Prague/nuit/nuit.htm

AUD ;-)

Ahhhhh, Aud...I'd *love* to actually get there - never been to Europe before.
The Kampa restaurants sound lovely from the link you sent, and beautiful
pictures of Prague! Thanks for sending the links, it was great to see pictures.
And the Becherovca sounds lovely, too; I like ginger! Anna Maria, I'm all for
the beer tour. vbg And music, Aud, oh yes!

Although dunno about telling you guys all about the Czechs. g In my
experience, for some reason, most immigrants don't actually want to talk too
much about the Old Country, wherever that may be. Of course, you understand,
this experience is pretty much only from my grandmother on Dad's side, and
friends of the family. Two generations before me. Although I was always over at
Grandma's - she lived only a block from my grade school, and about 4 blocks
from us - she was mostly talking about baking with me. ) No stories about
what it was like before she came to America at 15. Darn!

And she, like Dad, never tried to teach me Czech, for instance. Contary to what
our government seems to think, the majority of immigrants *want* to learn
English, the faster the better. Most have looked on sticking too much with
their native language as something that would hold back their progression to
better jobs and such. They keep it in the family and with friends. Kids only
use it the same way, and don't teach the grandchildren, as with me. Which is a
shame, because that's how all those languages get forgotten over here. My
mother said her Swedish grandmother hardly remembered a word of Swedish by the
time Mom graduated from high school. Mom asked her to write something in
Swedish in the little memory book she had, and Great-Grandma had to sit and
think for a while before any Swedish would come back. G-Grandma told Mom that
when they got here, they wanted to be Americans, and used English as much as
they could.

Nowadays, fortunately, more immigrants are retaining their old language and
just adding English - which really, is necessary, as the earlier ones thought.
They need the English for better jobs; most of them complain about all the
programs started in schools back in the 70's, where kids were taught in their
native language, with English as a foreign-language course for them. Supposedly
this helped them learn everything else, being as they didn't have to do it all
in English. Unfortunately, what it *did* was leave the kids with a lousy grasp
of English, and much lower chances of going on to higher education. Some
'advantage.' Their parents got ticked off, naturally, and they're *still*
fighting it in some school systems. Immigrants, rightly so, wanted their kids
to be taught in English, so they would learn it also as a native language, and
be on an equal footing with everyone else. But being bi- or tri-lingual is also
an advantage, and up until the 60's or so, many immigrants kind of went
overboard, such as Mom's grandmother. In earlier years, except for some who
stuck with their native language, our new Americans didn't pass their languages
along enough. I think only the Italians and Hispanics have really managed to do
that, down to today. Too bad; we Americans are *lousy* at foreign languages,
and that could have been prevented if families had kept theirs alive more.

Dad's family would speak Czech when they got together, that's about it. But
they mixed it half and half with English, which was hilarious! All the rest of
us were acting like we were at a tennis match at family get-togethers when
Dad's bunch got wound up and started with the Czech. We'd be sitting around,
just listening, our heads going back and forth, while hearing sentences like,
"And then she babblebabblebabblebabble so *stupid* babblebabblebabble, and I
told her so!" ROFL

The few Czech phrases I *did* learn were when our cousins from Czechoslovakia
visited. And those I had to wheedle out of my older cousin, Jitka, the daughter
of Dad's second cousin and her husband! So, I know - in phonetic spelling: "Tso
po vee dah?" ("What did you say?") "Proseem, pshyelosht'o do Anglestcheeni."
("Please translate that to English.") And one that I doubt would be terribly
useful: "Choodyeenka!" ("Poor thing!" - feminine version. "Choodahshek",
masculine. g) The latter two with the 'ch' said as in a German 'ich', in the
back of the throat. Somewhere between northern German 'ick' and southern 'ish'.
gg For those of you non-German speakers old enough to remember President
Kennedy and his famous statement about being a jelly doughnut, when visiting
Berlin, he got kinda close to the kind of 'ch' sound I'm talking about.

And there you know the sum of my fluent Czech. ::giggles::

Hee...if I was able to go and visit all the places from which ancestors, came,
man, what a tour! The Czech Republic, Slovakia, Sweden, Wales/Scotland/Ireland,
and the Netherlands. This is what you get when your ancestry is: 1/4 Czech;
1/4 Slovak; 1/4 Swedish; 1/4 good ol' American mutt - Welsh/Scots/Irish/a bit
of Dutch/a pinch of Creole. LOL That last mix from the side of the family
that's been in the US the longest, since the 1600's or so. I dunno *when* the
Creole got in there, or where it came from...especially since that part of the
family had ancestors fighting on both sides of our Civil War. The Virginians
fought for the North (which I imagine made them pretty well outcasts amongst
their Southern neighbors), the Texans for the South. Since in the US, Creole
tended to be a mix of the original French in Louisiana, Indian and black, I
keep wondering which of those families went against the prejudices of the time;
the Northern or Southern one??? It'd sure be interesting to find out! The rest
of 'em - Mom's paternal grandparents were immigrants from Sweden, Dad's parents
were immigrants from what became Czechoslovakia after WWI. So those were all
pretty recent arrivals.

Too bad I don't have the money - really, I could visit rcty friends in most of
those countries, and Aud and Anna Maria, I'd just have to beg you to show me
the Czech Republic yourselves! Aud, I know you're not Swedish, but hey - I'm
sure you've been there, you'd be up for a little side trip, wouldn't you? g

Anna Maria, re absinthe - gack! *Not* nice to be drinking something that has
wormwood in it; that stuff builds up in the body and eventually kills you, if
you drink it enough. Shows you what 'intellectuals' will get up to. eg We'll
be smart and skip it! I loved the picture from your link. Those people look
like the aftermath of a combined drinking binge and several opium pipes, LOL.

Gwen wrote:

Monica thank you for passing the slivovitz to me !! I only ever
had one and it was in Nuremburg in January with snow
everywhere and freezing cold and on our return to our hotel
after a day in the snow the lady at the front desk said " you two
need a drink" I have never felt cold since - 19 year later !!
But I remember it tasted very nice

ROFL Gwen. I should think it'd keep you warm! Drink all my share of slivovitz
in good health! Although 19 years must be a record. bg (Nurenburg? hee -
surprised it wasn't peppermint schnapps. which sounds interesting, actually.)
Me, I'll stick with something less lethal, more innocent; like vodka. bg
Personally, I like my hard liquor mixed. I can't take the taste of it too well
straight. Got a hard head, so I don't get tipsy too fast, but I'd rather have a
mixed drink. Lime Rickeys are good...especially with sloe gin, mmmmm. Or Sloe
Gin Fizzes. Margaritas...Daiquiris...you know. I don't have a palate for
wine, afraid it's the same thing with hard liquor. Although I adore Bailey's on
the rocks, that I can drink straight. And ohhhh, when it's cold outside, *real*
hot cocoa with a jigger of brandy, some cinnamon and vanilla, und mit Schlag!
Or hot buttered rum, I've got a great recipe for a mix for that.

Hmm...methinks I have to get to a liquor store and get some little bottles.
Portland is finally having a real winter for the first time in a few years -
real for us, anyway, some of you would laugh at how warm even our 'cold'
winters are. However, we've been down around freezing at night since late
October; that's getting cold pretty early for us. And this place isn't too well
insulated; plus the heat in the living/dining room area where the computer is
*sucks*. g We regularly get 30-50 mph gusts or steady wind, straight from the
Columbia Gorge out here on the east side. That's the cold wind from eastern
Oregon, and it's rattling the windows as I type. When it gets drafty in here,
some hot buttered rum would be a treat!

Monica - still not quite sure how she got from Prague to hot buttered rum, but
it was an interesting trip.
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old December 4th 03, 09:44 AM
Anna MCM

CMM PDX2 wrote:
=20
Ahhhhh, Aud...I'd *love* to actually get there - never been to Europe b=

efore.
The Kampa restaurants sound lovely from the link you sent, and beautifu=

pictures of Prague! Thanks for sending the links, it was great to see p=

ictures.
And the Becherovca sounds lovely, too; I like ginger! Anna Maria, I'm a=

ll for
the beer tour. vbg And music, Aud, oh yes!
=20

Monica, I loved your post.
I have to say that I tried to learn Czech at university and as a student =

I spent a month in Brno in 1984.
It=B4s DIFFICULT! Russian in nothing compared to that!
I arrived at a "advanced beginner" level, but, for the lack of practice=20
and for the fact that Russian took most of my time, I remember very=20
little of that (apart some folk songs).
Many years ago I even translated one of Hasek=B4s short novels "The=20
commandant of the town of Bogulma" into Italian, just for fun.

I have to say that in the tourist part of Prague English is now very=20
used. I was trying to translate the name of a restaurant to DH, when he=20
come out with a perfect translation into Italian... I asked him: where=20
didi you learn Czech? He told me: didn=B4t you notice the translation int=
o=20
English underneath? LOL
Italian is also very used, (lots of Italian tourists) so no problem for=20
our tour...

As for coming to Europe, you know, never say never! :-)

Na shledanou!

Anna Maria

Old December 4th 03, 11:40 AM
G.Kelly

Ophelia you had better take a look at it - it might have burnt through the
bottle by now God Bless gwen ( Ps you could use it for paint stripper - I
am sure it would work ) God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 4th 03, 11:51 AM
Ophelia

"G.Kelly" wrote in message
Ophelia you had better take a look at it - it might have burnt through the
bottle by now God Bless gwen ( Ps you could use it for paint stripper -

am sure it would work ) God Bless gwen

LOL. I keep it and offer it to guests. Believe it or not some people
actually like the stuff)

warmly

Old December 4th 03, 12:16 PM
G.Kelly

Anna Maria - I for one will never say never !! Sometimes the most amazing
things happen God bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Anna MCM" wrote in message

CMM PDX2 wrote:

Ahhhhh, Aud...I'd *love* to actually get there - never been to Europe

before.
The Kampa restaurants sound lovely from the link you sent, and beautiful
pictures of Prague! Thanks for sending the links, it was great to see

pictures.
And the Becherovca sounds lovely, too; I like ginger! Anna Maria, I'm all

for
the beer tour. vbg And music, Aud, oh yes!

Monica, I loved your post.
I have to say that I tried to learn Czech at university and as a student
I spent a month in Brno in 1984.
Itīs DIFFICULT! Russian in nothing compared to that!
I arrived at a "advanced beginner" level, but, for the lack of practice
and for the fact that Russian took most of my time, I remember very
little of that (apart some folk songs).
Many years ago I even translated one of Hasekīs short novels "The
commandant of the town of Bogulma" into Italian, just for fun.

I have to say that in the tourist part of Prague English is now very
used. I was trying to translate the name of a restaurant to DH, when he
come out with a perfect translation into Italian... I asked him: where
didi you learn Czech? He told me: didnīt you notice the translation into

Old December 6th 03, 02:25 PM
Aud

Monica, I love your Letter, I printed it, and read it!
I know what you mean by everything,
I can draw a parallell to my own experienses,
both with immigrant families here,
and with my own uncle/ my cousins and their children in US.
Monica, you have to try to *get* some money,
win or something...
(that is normally the *universial* solution to fulfill dreams, isn't it?)
Then we can go to Praha, Sweeden, Holland and everywhere,
and a little trip home to Norway too!
Hugs,
Aud ;-)

--

"CMM PDX2" skrev i melding

Old December 12th 03, 09:35 PM
CMM PDX2

Aud wrote:

Monica, I love your Letter, I printed it, and read it!
I know what you mean by everything,
I can draw a parallell to my own experienses,
both with immigrant families here,
and with my own uncle/ my cousins and their children in US.
Monica, you have to try to *get* some money,
win or something...
(that is normally the *universial* solution to fulfill dreams, isn't it?)
Then we can go to Praha, Sweeden, Holland and everywhere,
and a little trip home to Norway too!

Just the thing, Aud! When I win the lottery... Of course, first I really have
to buy a ticket; can't win without that. g Hee.

Although if I wanted to blow my entire inheritance from Mom, I could get over
there right now. But I kinda think my old age, when it gets here - it's on the
horizon, y'know g - would get back at me for it. You never know, though...I
could buy a lottery ticket on impulse some day, and a few weeks later, be
knocking at your door! Speaking not a *word* of Norwegian, or anything else
except what I remember from my 4 years of German. (the French pretty much went
down the drain. not enough consonants, I'd get mixed up in all those vowels
running together. must be the inheritance; I need some stopping places in the
words. bg) Oh, wait; I can say 'thank you' in Swedish, LOL. Well, that should
help, at least I can be polite in one country.

Hmmm...to really have fun, take a train to the east coast, maybe up through
Canada rather than through the US, then a nice cruise to Scandinavia?? I always
get a migraine on long flights, I don't wanna think about 3,000 miles across
the US, *then* over the Atlantic. And I'd love to take a cruise; largest boat
I've ever been on are the inter-island ferries between Port Angeles, WA and
Victoria, or Victoria/Vancouver. I'd love to be on a ship!

Heh - if you're gonna dream, dream big. Besides, no worries about knitting
then.

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
Old December 13th 03, 12:45 PM
G.Kelly

Monica I agree to "dream big' and sometimes those dreams can come true.
You mention big ships - back in 1992 we were about to but our air ticket to
return to North America for another year when we saw a special advertised
and for an extra $160 (Australia dollars) we could sail on the QE 11 from
New York to South Hampton - six days of luxury for $160 who could turn that
down !! We gad a great week to say the least. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly