Help! baby quilt request

Old February 20th 04, 12:14 PM
Paulette

Default Help! baby quilt request

My daughter is expecting (in fact they are moving up the date of inducement
to early April) and I am working on the appliqué Noah's Ark Quilt that sort
of got away from me. A younger friend was going to decorate her nursery in
Noah's Ark as well, until she found out it was a girl. The theme is now
Boyd's Bears. ALL I did was ask what colors she liked and....well....she
said she would like a quilt that is abstract with sky, land and flowers.
Now, I can do an Ohio Star and basic blocks. I can sort of appliqué (I
prefer the primitive style cause that what it ends up looking like anyway).
I am thinking she sort of has a landscape style quilt in mind.

Please make suggestions? Do I do the Debbie Mumm bunnies I wanted to do? Or
do I attempt something like this and try to make something to the mom's
taste (the baby is due in June and the shower in April, so it must not be
another monster project like the Noah's Ark quilt).

Or do I break my arm falling off my horse and become unable to sew for a few
months?

All suggestions (especially books or sites that deal with this style quilt)
are welcome.

Yet again, putting my foot in my mouth,
Paulette in thawing WV

Old February 20th 04, 01:02 PM
Louise

Paulette,

If I were in your shoes, I'd like to think that I'd explain to her that a
quilt like she described just isn't in my comfort area -- that while it
sounds like a challenge I'd like to take on someday, I don't feel I could do
it justice at this point in time. Of course, I'd still offer to make her the
quilt I had originally planned, in her colors, if she'd still like that.

If you have some stash material you don't have plans for, you might want to
experiment a bit (I know you don't have much time!) to see if you might be
able to do the landscape quilt she has in mind. You may discover an untapped
creative source! But if not, I don't recommend doing a piece you really
don't want to do -- I did that once, and three things happened. First, I
made mistake after mistake so it took me much longer to finish it than it
should. Second, I avoided working on it until I was absolutely forced to, so
I didn't do as good a job as normal. Third, I truly disliked the quilt when
it was finished. I could see every glaring error, and I resented it for
taking so much of my time! It was a gift for a dearly-loved relative, and I
didn't get nearly as much pleasure out of giving it as I would have liked
to -- although she loves it!

Let us know what you decide to do.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old February 20th 04, 01:50 PM
Roberta Zollner

I once saw some fabric that must have been for making landscapes, it was
sort of sky/clouds/water that graduated from light to dark across the width.
If you could find some sort of abstract fabric like this, it would be fun to
cut it into squares, frame with attic windows, and put back in the same
order.
Roberta in D

Old February 20th 04, 05:12 PM
Pati Cook

Personal opinions, make what *you* want to make. The bunnies sound good. If
you want to, make some stars and such for the top border, maybe some snail's
trails for the bottom. Add some flowers to the bunnies, and there you go.

Pati, in Phx.

Old February 20th 04, 06:14 PM
Patti

Hullo Paulette
I do agree with everyone else that you *must* only do what you are
comfortable with doing. But I think there might be a way you can
combine what you like to do with the desire for a landscape quilt.
You could make a row quilt which (going from top to bottom) incorporates
sky-type/colour/print with star blocks perhaps; then a row which has
some leaf/tree fabric - in some block you can easily do; perhaps a row
with plainish greeny colours - perhaps hand-dyes to imply fields - onto
which you could appliqué some bunnies; then some flowery fabric - again
in some block you can do.
You might wish to select the block as something appropriately named?
If you let the fabric dominate, rather than the patterns, this would
give you a sort of landscape without any of the hassle of curved piecing
and drafting.
If you wanted to put a border on, you could tie the whole thing
together with the border fabric.
Just a thought.
..
In article , Paulette
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Thread for Baby Quilt Mika Quilting 17 February 21st 04 01:18 AM
The great baby quilt rush Piglet Quilting 28 January 23rd 04 03:15 AM
OK, you've finished the quilt, now what to do with the scraps? Have fun! QUILTKITTY Quilting 12 January 6th 04 05:48 PM
Quilt patterns for baby projects: what are good download sites? Mannix Quilting 2 October 29th 03 05:08 AM