Featherweight accessory question

Old November 11th 03, 02:34 AM
SandySmth

Default Featherweight accessory question

A used Singer buttonhole attachment to fit a featherweight is reasonably easy
to find and it should come with the plate to cover the feed dogs. If you buy a
buttonholer, make sure it's for a "straight" not "slant" needle machine.

Sandy
in Chapel Hill, NC

M. Wetmore wrote:
Hi All:

I'm still looking for accessories for my Featherweight. I bought a
low-shank foot adaptor at Clothide to allow me to use my snap on feet
with the adaptor for the featherweight. I'll let you know if it
works.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the buttonhole attachment comes with
something that covers the feed dogs. Since you can't lower the feed
dogs in a featherweight, this seems like a good solution. Does anyone
have the buttonhole attachment and does it come with something to
cover the feed dogs?

Thanks.

Mardi
Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot
com.
____________________

My Quilting page:
http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old November 11th 03, 11:33 AM
Kate Dicey

"M. Wetmore" wrote:

Hi All:

I'm still looking for accessories for my Featherweight. I bought a
low-shank foot adaptor at Clothide to allow me to use my snap on feet
with the adaptor for the featherweight. I'll let you know if it
works.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the buttonhole attachment comes with
something that covers the feed dogs. Since you can't lower the feed
dogs in a featherweight, this seems like a good solution. Does anyone
have the buttonhole attachment and does it come with something to
cover the feed dogs?

Thanks.

Yes they do - both of mine have them. I have pix if you would like to
see them.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 12th 03, 08:21 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Haven't I read somewhere that you can cover the feed dogs with something as
simple as a taped-down index card?
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"M. Wetmore" wrote in message
So, have you used the feed dog plate cover and then tried free motion
quilting on your featherweight? If this works, it will be worth the
price for the buttonholer (which I doubt I will use) to get the plate
to cover the feed dogs.

Mardi

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:45:59 GMT, IMS wrote:

I just found this site that not only has a nicer picture of the
buttonholer and everything it should come with, but even a little movie
showing how it works!

http://hubben.crosswinds.net/singerbh.html

Old November 12th 03, 02:46 PM
Taria

You can. I would really hesitate to put tape on the
black part of the machine. Ask me how I know
When you need feed dogs down work it is time
to start looking for a 301. Their feed dogs go down
and they are very fun to sew on.
Taria

Old November 12th 03, 04:21 PM
Julia in MN

Can you set the stitch length to 0? That should help for free-motion
quilting. Some people always do their free-motion quilting with the feed
dogs up, because they find that they have more control.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old November 12th 03, 05:34 PM
Neeej

When you need feed dogs down work it is time
to start looking for a 301.

Foo G. I just did it with the hoppin' foot and the feed-dogs barkin' along
per usual---worked fine. 'Course, now I've got my Lily....
-- Jean S
Old November 13th 03, 05:31 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Glad y'all told me that. I left a piece of 1/4" masking tape on my FW for
years (seam guide). When my sis visited, she removed it and cleaned off the
residue. I noticed no effect on the finish, but maybe I should look again.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"IMS" wrote in message
Right, Ruth. The sticky part of tape has been known to do nasty stuff
to the top clear coat as well as to the decals on the FW (and other
machines with similar finishes). The 301 is what I use for free motion
and darning because the FDs drop....and because they are sweet to sew
on.

I just got a 222K FW, and the feed dogs drop on that model, but I
haven't yet tried it.