Preconceptions

Old August 12th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

Default Preconceptions

Grrrr.

At "Back to School" day Thursday my son's teacher said (in front of
about half of the third grade parents) something like "And we're sure
[Woolygrrl] is going to _dress up_ and demonstrate all her quaint
spinning and knitting skills this year at our Prairie Days
re-enactment."

This of course focused every eye on the room on me, as I was sitting
placidly in the back knitting whilst listening to the dog and pony
show that was the "welcome back to school" spiel put on by the two 3rd
grade teachers.

I got to explain (briefly, but I did wedge it in despite the teachers'
best efforts to Move It Right Along) that no, I don't "dress up" to do
demonstrations unless one considers that I put on clothes every
morning like everybody else because neither knitting nor spinning are
dead arts nor likely to become dead arts, and we have quite modern
equipment these days although I personally don't own any modern-style
spinning wheels at present so my "costume" for demonstrations is
whatever I happen to put on to wear any given day.

I did so want to get this year off to a good start. Instead I had to
make the teacher look like a fool in front of about 30 people, all of
whom undoubtedly shared her preconceived notion of the quaintness of
handwork generally and spinning specifically.

*sigh*

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 12th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:47:52 GMT, Wooly spun a fine yarn

[...]

Yeah, and these 'people'(teachers) are ed-ju-cated, LOL!
Another plus for homeschooling!~~
JM2C,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0632-2, 08/10/2006
Tested: 8/12/2006 3:00:11 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 12th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Wooly" wrote in message
Grrrr.

At "Back to School" day Thursday my son's teacher said (in front of
about half of the third grade parents) something like "And we're sure
[Woolygrrl] is going to _dress up_ and demonstrate all her quaint
spinning and knitting skills this year at our Prairie Days
re-enactment."

That was pretty nervy of her to say that without checking with you first to
see if you even wanted to do a demo - never mind the comment about the
clothing. Talk about making assumptions, and the ASS U ME !!

Sending sympathy your way.... and am very glad my kids are long gone from
school.

Shelagh

Old August 12th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Noreen wrote:

[...]

Just because a teacher mentioned dressing up for a reenactment doesn't
mean she's unaware that people still knit, spin, weave, etc. Clearly
she knew that Wooly did. It would be appropriate
for a participant in their "Prairie Days reenactment" to dress the part.
I would have been more upset at the assumption of being able to
participate, which is why my kids know not to commit me to anything
until they talk to me about it first.

This incident would not be nearly enough to make me homeschool my kids,
this one little error on the part of a modern teacher who likely was
never taught any needlework herself. I guess I'm lucky that I can
afford to send my kids to a small private school where the art teacher
actually taught the entire school how to knit.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old August 12th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:53:26 -0500, "Shillelagh"
spewed forth :

"Wooly" wrote in message
.. .
Grrrr.

At "Back to School" day Thursday my son's teacher said (in front of
about half of the third grade parents) something like "And we're sure
[Woolygrrl] is going to _dress up_ and demonstrate all her quaint
spinning and knitting skills this year at our Prairie Days
re-enactment."

That was pretty nervy of her to say that without checking with you first to
see if you even wanted to do a demo - never mind the comment about the
clothing. Talk about making assumptions, and the ASS U ME !!

Sending sympathy your way.... and am very glad my kids are long gone from
school.

Eh, I've already signed up to "share my hobbies" so it isn't as if she
was springing a surprise on me. It was the "oh how quaint" thing I
found objectionable.

+++++++++++++

Old August 12th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA

I did so want to get this year off to a good start. Instead I had to
make the teacher look like a fool in front of about 30 people, all of
whom undoubtedly shared her preconceived notion of the quaintness of
handwork generally and spinning specifically.

*sigh*

Good on you for speaking up, it is time that "others" learn of the time and
effort spent crafting handmade things.
If you mention making jellies/jams or canning anything at all, the reactions
that you get are akin to having made the comment in a foreign language.
Perhaps these processes are also considered "quaint".
DA

Old August 13th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:57:16 -0700, "The Other Kim"
spewed forth :

Just because a teacher mentioned dressing up for a reenactment doesn't
mean she's unaware that people still knit, spin, weave, etc. Clearly
she knew that Wooly did. It would be appropriate
for a participant in their "Prairie Days reenactment" to dress the part.

I part ways with the majority of people in this instance. Most of the
things our ancestors did at a subsistence level are still being
carried on in the world, and by a larger number of people than
ego-centric Americans might be willing to admit. So in a very real
sense it isn't "re-enactment" at all and I think there needs to be a
greater emphasis on this fact than on "how it was in the Olde Tyme
Dayes". I think there's much more room for contextual presentation
without the costumes than with, but that's just my opinion, obviously.

Which is why I will most likely be asked to NOT come as a
demonstrator. But that's ok. Last year my son's teacher made time
one day a week for three weeks and I spent two hours each of those
days with the entire class discussing fiber crafts and how they relate
to modern people. The Girl Scout leader has already asked me if I'll
be able to make time to lead her troop's textile arts unit (dunno yet,
won't commit until I see what sort of time I need to spend on my son's
activities, obviously) and the elementary science teacher asked me to
pitch in with an animal husbandry unit she's got planned for the
spring. So I'll get some fiber arts into the kids' pointy little
heads by hook or by crook...

I would have been more upset at the assumption of being able to
participate, which is why my kids know not to commit me to anything
until they talk to me about it first.

I've already committed to it, I think now I may be uninvited, and
that's fine. See above.

afford to send my kids to a small private school where the art teacher
actually taught the entire school how to knit.

I send my son to private school as well. The staff of a small private
school are just as likely to be ignorant as the staff at a large
public school. The private school staffers have more leeway WRT
making time than their public school counterparts and as a result are
more amenable to opening their classes to non-programmed activities.
Or so it seems based on my observations.

Old August 13th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Wooly wrote:
[...]

Well, you have the opportunity to educate her, Wooly. Remember, a university
education doesn't necessarily mean that someone is smart. g Most of us
are, but there are exceptions. Give her another chance. She meant well.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 13th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message

She meant well.

Higs,
Katherine

That is the very LAST thing I would want anyone to say about me! My dad
used to say to us to never put that on his headstone (grin)

Shelagh

Old August 13th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message

She meant well.

That is the very LAST thing I would want anyone to say about me! My
dad used to say to us to never put that on his headstone (grin)

He had a point, Shelagh. But Wooly can set her straight.

Higs,
Katherine