Fruits we spoke about... Enjoy! :o)

Old September 16th 05, 07:41 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine after the first few months in the USA it was great to see vegemite
on the supermarket shelves - I had nor been able to find it in the USA and
the jar I had brought from home was empty. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine I have just promoted you to top Aussie - I somehow
remembered that your mother lived here but forgot the fact that your
grandfather came from good old Tassie - that really does make you a
real Aussie - you know the old saying " you can take the girl out of
the country but you cannot take the country out of the girl"

My SIL who has lived in North Carolin a since 1945 still keeps a
large jar of vegemite in her fridge - so that says something!!!
God Bless gwen

LOL Well, of course she does! And how about Marmite?

Katherine

Love the stuff, we had a lot of it just after the war. Way to salty
now.....:=((

But if you just put a little bit in gravy or stew, it adds such a lovely
flavour. I haven't had a Marmite sandwich for ages, and I miss it.

Katherine

Old September 16th 05, 10:54 AM
Katherine

LOL That sounds good to me!

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Ah! Katherine. I salve my concience with the fact that it is only a
tablespoon of butter between four persons and the taste sends any
guilt feeling flying away very quickly - and last night serve was
just great and besides the banana is very good - lots of potassium
God Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
OH, my, Gwen! I can feel my arteries hardening as I read this! g

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Wow, Katherine that is a real contrast if ever there was one! Bland
puddings to hot chillies!

However talking of deserts and since we seem to be on recipes I will
tell you of this one I made up years ago,
I live in the state where we get the name "banana benders" - because
, it is said, we sit in the sun all day bending the bananas into
shape.

For pour persons you need.
A sandwich toaster
2 slices of lightly buttered bread - or use the spray on the
toaster.
one banana a little butter and some brown sugar.
Maple syrup and ice cream to serve.

Mix the brown sugar and butter together and spread the unbuttered
sides of the bread - a reasonable spread but not too thick or it
will spill out when it melts.

Mash the banana and spread on top of the caramel mix.
top with the other caramel spread bread. Place in the toaster with
the buttered sides outwards.

Toast and serve a half sandwich with a little ice cream and a
pouring of maple syrup - you can sprinkle with chopped nuts if you
like them. It is really delicious .

I came to think of this because I have Frank's niece coming to stay
the night on her way to visit her mother ,and had just finished
preparing this so that I can toast it tonight - I have served he too
many lemon pies I figured !!!

God Bless Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message
Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine I hate it no matter what is in it - I had to eat it as
a child but one of my best memories was when I jammed my thumb one
night and it was very painful and I was allowed to leave the bread
custard !! It was worth the sore thumb God Bless Gwen

Poor you, Gwen! I love foods like bread pudding, rice pudding, warm
tapioca - all these bland, gentle things. And then I have curries
and chilis so hot that other people can't eat them!

Katherine

Old September 16th 05, 10:54 AM
Katherine

True, but I use it more often.

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
No Katherine, marmite is vegemite's very very distant relation in
the taste race God Bless Gwen

Old September 16th 05, 10:55 AM
Katherine

Where do you stay on these long journeys, Gwen?

Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine after the first few months in the USA it was great to see
vegemite on the supermarket shelves - I had nor been able to find it
in the USA and the jar I had brought from home was empty. God Bless
Gwen

"Katherine" wrote in message

Old September 16th 05, 06:54 PM
MRH

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Katherine and Gemini here is a totally no fail way of making a nice
biscuit
pastry for pies - and I am very practised because everyone who ever
darkens
my door seems to want a lemon meringue pie - and I dare not visit my BIL
and
SIL without one. Actually I make a half dozen at a time so that I can
fill
then at a moments notice when required.

This is a very unorthodox way of baking - no measuring just put it all
together !!!
Start with a quantity of light margarine - just as much as you think will
make a pie - or two or three....or
Then add a little sugar - depending on how sweet you like it and beat
until
creamy . Then add an egg and beat ( if making a large quantity add two
eggs)

So now you have a nice whipped mix of marg,sugar and egg so now just add
self raising flour until it is firm enough to roll out - you can kneed if
is necessary to get it nice to roll out. Place a quantity between two
sheets of glad bake, roll out , turn the dough into the dish by just
turning
the paper over and cook at about 200c for around 1 to 15 minutes. So
easy
and no measuring.

Any dough over but not enough for another pie shell , use it by rolling
and
cutting into squares - put a spoon of your favourite jam in the centre ( I
like tomato jam) - turn in the corners and roll up and bake as for the
pie.
Makes a lovely little desert - and keeps my pie eater DH happy !!
God bless Gwen

Thank you, Gwen! I would give it a try, but I wouldn't know where to begin
with the "quantity of light margarine - just as much as you think will make
a pie - or two or three....or", as I haven't a clue as to how much butter /
margarine even one pie crust takes. The rest of your instructions sound
easy enough to follow, even though there aren't exact measurements. I have
done that myself, even though I used (still do depending which recipe I am
looking for) to complain that my parents rarely used exact measurements for
some favorite foods and therefore I have a hard time reproducing them now.
If you can give me a closer idea of approximately how much butter /
margarine is used in one pie, then I may be able to manage the rest
sometime.

Peace!
Gemini

Old September 17th 05, 04:31 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:
In article aoeWe.4942$3b6.1217@trndny07, "Laura J"
wrote:

You actually eat GRITS??????

Katherine (ducking)

Of course she does - she lives in the south!!

Now I am no southern belle and, being a vegetarian, not too fond of
southern cuisine in general, but even I like grits as long as they
are made with lots and lots of cheddar cheese!

LauraJ

Laura I love them cooked in milk and with a dollop of maple
syrup....OK OK I can see thing flying my way.....

Eeewwww!!!

Katherine

Eeewww because I should duck or eeewww because you think it is not tasty...LOL

Els
Old September 17th 05, 04:40 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Love the stuff, we had a lot of it just after the war. Way to salty
now.....:=((

But if you just put a little bit in gravy or stew, it adds such a lovely
flavour. I haven't had a Marmite sandwich for ages, and I miss it.

Katherine

My mouth waters when you talk about it, but my stomach get crampy thinking
of it....LOL

Age my dear just age......

Els
Old September 17th 05, 04:42 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Gwendoline
Kelly" wrote:

But very rich in Vitamin B, Els, once prescribed to me for bad headaches as
it was thought I was low on the vitamin - in any case good old Vegimite
fixed it. I love a spoonful in a cup of hot water as a drink - especially
if I am not feeling well and of course it is added to casseroles etc -not
that one can taste it is these dishes but I figure a bit extra vitamin B
cannot hurt God Bless Gwen

Gwen Kelly

Gwen, maybe I should try it in a bit of hot water, as long as they have
not added soya to it, that gives me huge head aches....

Els
Old September 17th 05, 12:55 PM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Love the stuff, we had a lot of it just after the war. Way to salty
now.....:=((

But if you just put a little bit in gravy or stew, it adds such a
lovely flavour. I haven't had a Marmite sandwich for ages, and I
miss it.

Katherine

My mouth waters when you talk about it, but my stomach get crampy
thinking of it....LOL

Age my dear just age......

Sigh, I know!

Katherine

Old September 17th 05, 07:40 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

I need to add, I cannot STAND *any* SWEET hot cereal of any kind. Butter
and salt and milk is IT for additions for me!
JM2C
Noreen
gawd, the thought of sugar or syrup on hot cereal makes me puke!
gag!

--
If ignorance is bliss. . .
then why aren't there more