Fruits we spoke about... Enjoy! :o)

Old September 15th 05, 03:33 AM
Katherine

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message

Cream of wheat is like Farina, like a baby cereal IMHO.
Now if you want a GOOD hot cereal, Malto Meal's the choice!

O waits for a description of Malts Meal

Malto Meal is a hot cereal that contains two grains,
wheat
and
malt.
I will only eat IT, Grits and Oatmeal. Methinks Farina and Cream of
Wheat are gross.
JMHO,
Noreen

You actually eat GRITS??????

Katherine (ducking)

Old September 15th 05, 03:56 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Malto Meal is a hot cereal that contains two grains,
wheat
and
malt.
I will only eat IT, Grits and Oatmeal. Methinks Farina and Cream of
Wheat
are gross.
JMHO,
Noreen

Noreen, I remember (from loooooong ago) that Malt-O-Meal and Cream of
Wheat
have a similar texture but different flavors. Am I right?

--
Jan in MN

Pretty close, Jan. I think Malto Meal is 'grainier' and Cream of Wheat is
'creamier', and yes, for sure, they DO taste different!
Noreen

Old September 15th 05, 03:57 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Katherine" wrote in message
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message

Cream of wheat is like Farina, like a baby cereal IMHO.
Now if you want a GOOD hot cereal, Malto Meal's the choice!

O waits for a description of Malts Meal

Malto Meal is a hot cereal that contains two grains,
wheat
and
malt.
I will only eat IT, Grits and Oatmeal. Methinks Farina and Cream of
Wheat are gross.
JMHO,
Noreen

You actually eat GRITS??????

Katherine (ducking)

Yep! And HOMINY too!
Noreen

Old September 15th 05, 04:57 AM
Els van Dam

In article xoAVe.4277$3b6.701@trndny07, "Laura J"
wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article t0gVe.19170$Zv6.14635@trndny03, "Laura J"
wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote in message

My Father had a great recipe for Corn meal or cream of wheat. You
pour
the cream of wheat or cornmeal into a casserole dish, just cover it
with
milk, to which you have added 4 beaten eggs, and sugar to taste and a
teaspoon of vanilla, stir. Cook in the oven untill the top is dry.
Now
take the dish out of the oven, cut the cream of wheat etc. into
squares,
and roll them over with a fork. Dot with bits of butter and put it
back
into the oven bake untill golden brown, serve with stewed fruit. It
was
one of our favorite desserts.

Els

Els,

This sounds so interesting. I'm not familiar with cream of wheat but I
have
lots of cornmeal around (soft polenta w/ cheese and mushrooms is one of
our
favorite winter dishes!). I assume you're talking about starting with
uncooked cornmeal, right? And do you mix the milk in or does it settle
down
into the cornmeal without mixing?

Thanks,
LauraJ

Laura, I mix the milk with the corn meal, but indeed I always use more
milk, than with cream of wheat. Cornmeal seems to take up more moister.
The recipe is an Austrian one, My Dad was born in Wein, or Vienna. this
dish is called Griess Schmarrn. He did a lot of Autrian cooking when I
was small. I would say that there is maybe a finger more milk than corn
meal. I have a gerat little cookbook written by Gretel Beer. (I think
she is one of the two fat cooking ladies from Brittan. )Her recipe asks
for
2cups of milk
150 gram of coarse semolina
2 tabelspoons of butter
vanilla pod
15 gram of sugar ( my family would like more for sure...LOL)
handful of raisins. Since we always used stewed fruits on top of this
dish, we never used raisins, but that is just a matter of taste.

Gretel Beer ( meaning bear and not the drinking beer, because that would
be bier...LOL) cooks it this way.

Put the milk, vanilla pod, sugar and a small knob of butter in a saucepan
and bring to a boil. Rain in the semolina, stirring constantly. Add
raisins and switch off the heat. Put a lid on the pot and let sit for 5
minutes. Melt the remaining butter in a baking dish. After taking out the
vanilla pod, pour in the semolina mixture and put it in the 375º F oven.
As soon as the mixture is nicely browned on top tear into small pieces
with two forks. Return it to the oven to brown on all sides (this is were
I would dot it with butter). Turn into a nice serving dish, serve with
stewed fruits, like right now bleuberries, or peaches, etc. It is yummy
and also a healthy dish for kids.

Els

Mmm, sounds great! Thanks, Els!

LauraJ

You are welcome Laura, I had to think of this recipe tonight when I was
stewing some fresh figs a la Kiri's recipe she gave us last year.

Els
Old September 15th 05, 05:57 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Wow, Katherine that is a real contrast if ever there was one! Bland
puddings to hot chillies!

However talking of deserts and since we seem to be on recipes I will tell
you of this one I made up years ago,
I live in the state where we get the name "banana benders" - because , it
is said, we sit in the sun all day bending the bananas into shape.

For pour persons you need.
A sandwich toaster
2 slices of lightly buttered bread - or use the spray on the
toaster.
one banana a little butter and some brown sugar.
Maple syrup and ice cream to serve.

Mix the brown sugar and butter together and spread the unbuttered sides of
the bread - a reasonable spread but not too thick or it will spill out when
it melts.

Mash the banana and spread on top of the caramel mix.
top with the other caramel spread bread. Place in the toaster with the
buttered sides outwards.

Toast and serve a half sandwich with a little ice cream and a pouring of
maple syrup - you can sprinkle with chopped nuts if you like them. It is
really delicious .

I came to think of this because I have Frank's niece coming to stay the
night on her way to visit her mother ,and had just finished preparing this
so that I can toast it tonight - I have served he too many lemon pies I
figured !!!

God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine I hate it no matter what is in it - I had to eat it as a
child but one of my best memories was when I jammed my thumb one
night and it was very painful and I was allowed to leave the bread
custard !! It was worth the sore thumb God Bless Gwen

Poor you, Gwen! I love foods like bread pudding, rice pudding, warm
tapioca - all these bland, gentle things. And then I have curries and

chilis
so hot that other people can't eat them!

Katherine

Old September 15th 05, 06:04 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine maybe Noreen lives down south - my BIL serves grits for breakfast
and he lives in North Carolina, as least I figured it was better than cream
of wheat. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old September 15th 05, 06:06 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Pardon my ignorance, Noreen, what is Hominy? I have eaten hush puppies
down in the south which I thought were rather good but I have not come
across Hominy. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old September 15th 05, 06:09 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Ophelia and Christine, I am sorry I brought bread pudding into this - it is
just that i feel semolina, cream of wneat and bread pudding are all - as
Noreen put it very well "gross" God bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
As I understand it O cream of wheat is very similar to semolina. So
nothing like bread pudding.
Love C

"Ophelia" wrote in message
. uk...

"Katherine" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine I hate it no matter what is in it - I had to eat it as a
child but one of my best memories was when I jammed my thumb one
night and it was very painful and I was allowed to leave the bread
custard !! It was worth the sore thumb God Bless Gwen

Poor you, Gwen! I love foods like bread pudding, rice pudding, warm
tapioca - all these bland, gentle things. And then I have curries and
chilis so hot that other people can't eat them!

When I heard about cream of wheat I assumed it was a porridge the
same as that made with oats. Is it really like a bread pudding?

No, not at all. It is grainy, and in my house, is served as a hot

cereal.
I love it!

Butbutbut Gwen described something like bread pudding!

Old September 15th 05, 06:13 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Katherine I have just promoted you to top Aussie - I somehow remembered that
your mother lived here but forgot the fact that your grandfather came from
good old Tassie - that really does make you a real Aussie - you know the old
saying " you can take the girl out of the country but you cannot take the
country out of the girl"

My SIL who has lived in North Carolin a since 1945 still keeps a large jar
of vegemite in her fridge - so that says something!!! God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Katherine" wrote in message
Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Oooo Katherine I think that must be so - that make you a kind of
Aussie then God Bless Gwen

LOL "Kind of Aussie"??? With a mother from Sydney, NSW, and a grandfather
from Tasmania, I think I almost qualify for a "real" one. g

Katherine