Black fabric

Old October 20th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steph

Default Black fabric

Hi everyone!

I'm coming out of lurkdom to ask a question I love reading the
group and learn so much from you all. I'm a bit shy about posting much
though...will try to be better in the future!

My question is about quilt fabric. I know that black fabric is not all
created equal. Someone once mentioned to me that one of the quilt
fabrics is "extremely" dark. Kona? Does anyone know about this? I'm
working on a stained glass wall hanging. I'm going to make the black
strips using a bias strip maker and would like them to be as dark as
possible for the best contrast/effect.

Thank you!

Steph
Old October 20th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On Oct 20, 4:57*pm, Steph wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm coming out of lurkdom to ask a question *I love reading the
group and learn so much from you all. I'm a bit shy about posting much
though...will try to be better in the future!

My question is about quilt fabric. I know that black fabric is not all
created equal. Someone once mentioned to me that one of the quilt
fabrics is "extremely" dark. Kona? Does anyone know about this? *I'm
working on a stained glass wall hanging. I'm going to make the black
strips using a bias strip maker and would like them to be as dark as
possible for the best contrast/effect.

Thank you!

Steph

I certainly like kona cotton black. I put some in a baby quilt, the
boy is now 6, the quilt is well-used (and it is beginning to show in
some of the novelty fabrics), but the black still looks good.

HTH,
Hanne in DK
Old October 20th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Yep, Kona is a good one. doesn't pay to buy too cheap if it's black.
Roberta in D

Old October 20th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I second that - it is amazing how many shades of black there are!
Do join in the fun with us - but enjoy lurking if you feel happier that
way.
..
In message , Roberta
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old October 20th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michele in NYC[_2_]

Steph,

I've been using Michael Miller's Jet Black Solid since it came out a
few years back.
Looks wonderful in Amish-style quilts. Blackest black out there.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-MCJ-BLK

NAYY.

-Michele in NYC
Old October 20th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Kona does make a great black. I'd recommend it.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old October 20th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

FWIW, when you need a black that will fray easily, go for Moda. Never know
when you might need to make a fuzzy bumble bee or a spider with hairy legs.
If you need a happy black, 'Confetti' is black with a splatter of happy
multi-color dotty things. That one's by Timeless Treasures. Polly

Old October 20th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I've heard a lot of good things about Keepsake Quilting's "Amish Black" but
have no personal experience with it. I love Kona's solid colored fabrics
but I've also heard complaints that they are too 'hefty' compared to other
quilting cottons. It's a personal thing...

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 21st 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:57:24 -0500, Steph wrote
(in article
):

Hi everyone!

I'm coming out of lurkdom to ask a question I love reading the
group and learn so much from you all. I'm a bit shy about posting much
though...will try to be better in the future!

My question is about quilt fabric. I know that black fabric is not all
created equal. Someone once mentioned to me that one of the quilt
fabrics is "extremely" dark. Kona? Does anyone know about this? I'm
working on a stained glass wall hanging. I'm going to make the black
strips using a bias strip maker and would like them to be as dark as
possible for the best contrast/effect.

Thank you!

Steph

I do like Kona black as a nice dark, true (i.e., not charcoal black). But
you can look around your LQS to see what they have.

Maureen

Old October 21st 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I've used the Kona black for stained glass bias and for piping a la
Susan Cleveland. It worked wonderfully for both. I've seen the Kona
solids at both the local Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn's. Kona also has a
nice "almost white" that they call "snow" -- not quite as stark white as
"white white", but still is whiter than ivory or off-white.

Julia in MN