Buying Fabric online

Old October 8th 10, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Default Buying Fabric online

Due to the current exchange rate
I am seriously considering buying some fabric from the USA

Who have you purchased fabric from ?

Was it a good experience?

Who do I avoid ?

Are Handcocks of Paducah pleasant to deal with ?

What do I need to be wary of ?

Thanks in Advance

Dee in Oz

Old October 8th 10, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Oct 7, 11:16*pm, "Dee in Oz"
wrote:
Due to the current exchange rate
*I am seriously considering buying some fabric from the USA

Who have you purchased fabric from ?

Was it a good experience?

Who do I avoid ?

Are Handcocks of Paducah pleasant to deal with ?

What do I need to be wary of ?

Thanks in Advance

Dee in Oz

Goodness...I've purchased fabric from Keepsake Fabrics, Bug Fabrics,
Fabrics.com, The Quilted B, Hancocks of Paducah, many more I
can't recall right now.
They have all been just super. Keepsake Fabrics was a little slow with
shipping. Hancocks of Paducah sent me the wrong batting, but made
it good. The Quilted B owner is just a lovely person and usually
sends a little gift. Her, and also the Bug Fabric owner are both just
like dealing with a local store, very good communication. Fabric.com
has great prices.
The only thing I can think of to be wary about is, The Virginia
Quilter
often does not have the fabric in stock that they say they do. I guess
they jut don't update their website often enough. I have twice ordered
from them just to get an email that said they are out of that fabric.
Except for that, they're fine.

Sherry
Old October 8th 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

I have bought from the following, only a couple of times each, but have had
very good luck with both. The second one often has good prices, sales and
end of bolt sales.

I know that you are much further away than I am, but I often have to pay
extra shipping as well to Alaska, but they have still been reasonable, and I
have asked them to ship a certain way, which is faster and cheaper, and they
do.

www.keepsakequilting.com
www.thousandsofbolts.com

Steven
Alaska

. au...

Old October 8th 10, 07:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Thanks Steven, I will check them both out.

Dee in Oz

"Steven Cook" wrote in message
mmunications...
I have bought from the following, only a couple of times each, but have had
very good luck with both. The second one often has good prices, sales and
end of bolt sales.

I know that you are much further away than I am, but I often have to pay
extra shipping as well to Alaska, but they have still been reasonable, and
I have asked them to ship a certain way, which is faster and cheaper, and
they do.

www.keepsakequilting.com
www.thousandsofbolts.com

Steven
Alaska

. au...

Old October 8th 10, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_4_]

Hi Dee,

I have dealt with the following company and had excellent service:

Don and Cindy at:

www.quilt-kits-online.com

Cheers,
--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

"Steven Cook" wrote in message
mmunications...
I have bought from the following, only a couple of times each, but have had
very good luck with both. The second one often has good prices, sales and
end of bolt sales.

I know that you are much further away than I am, but I often have to pay
extra shipping as well to Alaska, but they have still been reasonable, and
I have asked them to ship a certain way, which is faster and cheaper, and
they do.

www.keepsakequilting.com
www.thousandsofbolts.com

Steven
Alaska

. au...

Old October 8th 10, 09:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

I've ordered from Hancocks, very fast, efficient and good service.

Remember, because you are importing, you may be liable to import duty.

I'm in France and had to pay customs when the parcel was delivered to my
door - the same happened when I lived in the UK. The fabric still worked
out cheaper than buying here, just something to keep in mind.

Janner
France

Old October 8th 10, 09:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 08/10/10 05:16, Dee in Oz wrote:
Due to the current exchange rate
I am seriously considering buying some fabric from the USA

Who have you purchased fabric from ?

I have bought many times from eQuilter
http://www.equilter.com/

Was it a good experience?

Excellent - I almost always buy from their clearance section and the
prices are very keen. They are even better when they have big sales -
Labor Day, 4th July & Christmas/New Yearr.

Are Handcocks of Paducah pleasant to deal with ?

I have only had H of P ship to my sister-in-law in the States so I don't
know what their overseas service is like.

What do I need to be wary of ?

As Janner said - customs duty. eQuilter ship in Global priority
envelopes which often (but not always) come in without getting import
duties and taxes. Also our duty is calculated on the value of the goods
PLUS the postage paid, so that can bump it up on a fast & expensive service.

Have fun shopping

Lizzy
Old October 8th 10, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PhillyQuilter[_2_]

I've used www.fabric.com many times and have always had good
experiences with them. On the one occasion I rec'd the wrong item,
they cheerfully corrected the problem immediately. I usually get my
package within a couple of days of ordering. They are good about
notifying receipt of order and mailing of order with tracking
information and accept returns with no questions although that would
be less useful for out of country orders. They also cut oversized
'yards' which is nice for those of us that pre-wash/shrink. If I've
calculated a full yard for something, I don't need to buy a little
extra.

Diana - PA

Old October 8th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 23:16:04 -0500, Dee in Oz wrote
(in article ) :

Due to the current exchange rate
I am seriously considering buying some fabric from the USA

Who have you purchased fabric from ?

Was it a good experience?

Who do I avoid ?

Are Handcocks of Paducah pleasant to deal with ?

What do I need to be wary of ?

Thanks in Advance

Dee in Oz

I've bought from keepsake quilting and hancock's of paducah both. And
several places on quiltshops.com. All of them were good and so far no bad
experiences.

Maureen

Old October 8th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I have purchased fabric from Keepsake Quilting several times, and have
been VERY pleased with the quality of the fabric and with the
service! Several others have already provided the web address, so I
won't repeat that here. Enjoy!

Buying Thread online - NOT OT! TwinMom Quilting 24 July 3rd 06 04:02 PM
Buying Fabric Online Tina Quilting 14 February 11th 05 02:18 AM
Buying curtain fabric online in the UK Katie Sewing 4 December 13th 04 02:11 PM
Buying Yarn Online Kathryn Yarn 14 January 28th 04 11:16 PM
Buying needles online bibe Yarn 7 January 16th 04 11:09 PM