Felting Question

Old October 10th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bob & Carol

Default Felting Question

Well I made the felted purse in Knitty -- purple and green. I used the
actual yarn in the pattern and after felting I have a bag about the size of
a lunch bag, no where near the 8" x 4" in the pattern.

What would have caused this? I know that I knit tighter than the average
person...could this have made such a big difference? Feeling really, really
blue at the moment as this was to be a Christmas present, now all is for
naught...my first felting project. Any help to prevent this from happening
again...if I ever 'muster' the fortitude to try again.

Carol

Old October 11th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Bob & Carol" wrote in

Well I made the felted purse in Knitty -- purple and green.
I used the actual yarn in the pattern and after felting I
have a bag about the size of a lunch bag, no where near the
8" x 4" in the pattern.

what size is a lunch bag? is your bag larger or smaller than
you expected?

What would have caused this? I know that I knit tighter
than the average person...could this have made such a big
difference?

looser knitting tends to felt better, yes, but size is mostly
determined by how long you agitate the item in hot water. you
*really* have to watch the item you're felting, especially if
you haven't felted that particular yarn in that particular
machine before. you can't set a timer & check back later.
agitate for a minute. stop the machine & check the item.
repeat until the item is the size you want.
you may have some trouble getting something to shrink enough
if you knit too tightly or on too small needles, but it will
still full to some extent if the yarn is one that felts.
it is sometimes possible to block out something that over
shrunk while felting, if it's not too far off, but it doesn't
look as good.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 11th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
nancych

I know how discouraging it can be. It happened to me too, it was to be
my daughter's BD present. Try again with larger needles. I did and I
was happy with the results, and my daughter was delighted.
Good luck

Old October 11th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Erin

Bob & Carol skrev:

Feeling really, really
blue at the moment as this was to be a Christmas present, now all is for
naught...my first felting project.

Hey! It was your *first* and first projects usually aren't just the way
we want them to be. Nothing to worry about; you learn by doing!

Any help to prevent this from happening
again...if I ever 'muster' the fortitude to try again.

I hope you keep trying!!! It has taken me the better part of my 42
years to figure-out that we often learn more from the projects that
DON'T work the way we wanted than from the ones that do. I'm sure your
next bag will be better and the one after that even better and so on. .
..

Just don't give up! :-)

Erin
http://arkivarie.livejournal.com/

good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
heads up for a felting question Els van Dam Yarn 22 June 19th 06 05:06 AM
In search of felting advice MykaKS Yarn 8 December 29th 05 07:36 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Dr. Sooz Beads 0 April 22nd 05 07:24 PM