Storing glaze

Old December 12th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

Default Storing glaze

People occasionally ask for start up tips. Here's one: store your
glazes in containers with good seals. Duh! In trying to save money
and not having a source of larger buckets with sealing lids, I have
most of my glazes stored in old food containers many of which don't seal.
So I waste tons of time rehydrating glazes. You, newbies learn from
me! Spend money or effort and get containers that won't let your glazes
dry up.

grumble grumble Now where am I going to find some containers so I
can take my own advice?

Elaine
Old December 12th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On 12 Dec 2006 02:32:18 GMT, (Elaine Stutt)
wrote:

People occasionally ask for start up tips. Here's one: store your
glazes in containers with good seals. Duh! In trying to save money
and not having a source of larger buckets with sealing lids, I have
most of my glazes stored in old food containers many of which don't seal.
So I waste tons of time rehydrating glazes. You, newbies learn from
me! Spend money or effort and get containers that won't let your glazes
dry up.

grumble grumble Now where am I going to find some containers so I
can take my own advice?

Go down to your local supermarket that has a deli or bakery section,
and ask them if they will be willing to save some old plastic
containers for you.

A huge assortment of containers are used in food preparation.
Have a look at what they use. Some of these are harder to clean
out than others; some (pickles, etc) may have a residual odor
that causes no harm. Bakery frosting comes in a nice container
(at least the place I got mine).

Note that your request may be an inconvenience for them, since
they probably don't have a good place to store the empties.
And they won't want to leave smelly, food-laden containers
laying around to attract vermin, so they may need to wash them
out before they stack them up for you. You should try to
coordinate pick-up to minimize their effort, but this is hard
unless you visit them every day, since their usage isn't usually
totally predictable. You might offer to make them a nice
vase or something for their counter top... maybe a bowl or
dish to display cheeses or cookies? Who knows, if you make
a great one you might even get some sales inquiries from
their customers!

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
Old December 12th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Eddie Daughton

wrote:

[...]

Another place to try is Swimming Pools (Chlorine granules comes in these
really groovy tubs with ever such sealable lids).... It's either you or
landfill usually...
Hugs
Eddie
Old December 13th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
moose hunter

In article ,
says...
Bob Masta wrote:
On 12 Dec 2006 02:32:18 GMT,
(Elaine Stutt)
wrote:

[...]

cloride buckest MUST be triple rinsed and dried before using it for
anyting. you may not (under OSHA standards) use Cloride buckets for
food safe materials. there are the same type of buckets avaialble at
the hardware store... and much safer to use
Old December 13th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

When I can't get new ones, I use food grade buckets from the local
Deli/Bakers/Burger takeaway/etc; they always have good sealing lids and only
need a good wash. Most are one UK gallon, but occasionally you can get bulk
containers to the same standard that are a lot bigger!

Steve
--

Steve Mills
Bath

steve at mudslinger.me.uk

"moose hunter" wrote in message
cloride buckest MUST be triple rinsed and dried before using it for
anyting. you may not (under OSHA standards) use Cloride buckets for
food safe materials. there are the same type of buckets avaialble at
the hardware store... and much safer to use

Good suggestions from all. Although I sumetimes find it difficult
to tell which buckets will reseal well and which won't. Even some
that contain spoilable food products may not seal well as the products
must be only kept kept for a limited time in refrigeration. One of my
best containers, about half gallon size, was for potato salad. It seals
well and has never chipped or cracked. As an environmentalist and
as one who sort of understands design, my thought about that container
is: how can such a sturdy well made product be designed for disposal?
Oh well, I'll happily re-use it.

Thanks for the replies.

Elaine

Disposing of Glazes anna Pottery 5 November 21st 06 03:54 AM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM