machine wish list

Old March 29th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default machine wish list

I have been looking to get a new machine, and it looks as though what I'd
like does not exist. Looking at Bernina, Viking, and Pfaff, currently. I
like the large 9 inch work area of the mega quilter and grandquilter, but do
not want to get one of those big stands. I did try one out at the VIking
dealer yesterday though, and loved the way the free motion looked-inspira I
think the stand is? So- the thought is to go try the Bernina BSR as a way
to get some free motion help without the big stand, maybe on the Artista 640
(automatic thread cutter- wow!). But then I lose the 9 inch clearance of
the straight stitch machines. And I am trying mightily to avoid buying too
many machines- bought a serger last week....

Does anyone know if Bernina has plans to extend the size of one of their
full-feature machines (bsr,auto thread cutter, nice stitches) to include a 9
inch area inside? To buy the Artista 640 for such a huge price I feel as
though it ought to meet every single item on the wish list, and it falls
short by one.

Related question: what is the bsr like? I imagine it's not quite as smooth
as what you get on a big stand, with cruise control and all that, but still-
surely it's better than regular free motion, which I just can't seem to
master.

No interest in embroidery.

Thanks for any feedback- opinions on the above, other brands' models that
might include what I want. And- how much off msrp should I be able to get on
a bernina if I do decide I want it even without the 9 inch clearance? Price
about takes my breath away!

Old March 29th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Betty Maxey wrote:
I have been looking to get a new machine, and it looks as though what I'd
like does not exist. Looking at Bernina, Viking, and Pfaff, currently. I
like the large 9 inch work area of the mega quilter and grandquilter, but do
not want to get one of those big stands.

Have you looked at the Janome 1600 models? They all have a larger work
area under the arm. http://www.janome.com/ I think Elna also has at
least one model with a larger work area. None of them have the stitch
regulator, but at least one of the Janome models has the thread cutter.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 29th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

If you don't want to do embroidery, I would suggest considering the
Janome Memory Craft 6600. It had an opportunity to use one last week
and feel in love with it. It is a wonderful machine - very fast, huge
quilting area (lots bigger than any of the standard machines), you just
press a button to clip threads -- there are ots of other great
features that I didn't have an opportunity to explore. I plan on
buying one in the near future.

Sandy

Old March 29th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Betty Maxey" wrote:

snip
Does anyone know if Bernina has plans to extend the size of one of their
full-feature machines (bsr,auto thread cutter, nice stitches) to include a 9
inch area inside? To buy the Artista 640 for such a huge price I feel as
though it ought to meet every single item on the wish list, and it falls
short by one.

Bernina hasn't mentioned their future plans yet. These machines are so
new that I'd be surprised if they came out with yet another one so
quickly, though.

Related question: what is the bsr like? I imagine it's not quite as smooth
as what you get on a big stand, with cruise control and all that, but still-
surely it's better than regular free motion, which I just can't seem to
master.

I *love* my BSR!

No interest in embroidery.

Thanks for any feedback- opinions on the above, other brands' models that
might include what I want. And- how much off msrp should I be able to get on
a bernina if I do decide I want it even without the 9 inch clearance? Price
about takes my breath away!

Price pretty much depends on where you live; each dealer is free to do
pretty much as he/she pleases there.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old March 29th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"Sandy" wrote:

If you don't want to do embroidery, I would suggest considering the
Janome Memory Craft 6600. It had an opportunity to use one last week
and feel in love with it. It is a wonderful machine - very fast, huge
quilting area (lots bigger than any of the standard machines), you just
press a button to clip threads -- there are ots of other great
features that I didn't have an opportunity to explore. I plan on
buying one in the near future.

Sandy

Another Sandy! Hi, Sandy! There are several of us here, so you may
want to "expand" your signature with some identifiable words, such as a
vague idea of where you live. Or something.

Meanwhile, if you haven't already introduced yourself (in which case, I
missed it -- sorry!), tell us a little about yourself. What kind of
quilts do you like to make? Do you have QIs? What about chocolate? G

Old March 29th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Sandy ..

I am new to this group. I am from the SF Bay Area in California. I
have been quilting for several years, but I seem to do it sporatically.
I have made several lap-size quilts, table runners and many wall
hangings. I also like to to sashiko and red-work (my current project
is with green thread).

Sandy - CA

Old March 29th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sandy ..

One last thing - I love chocolate !!!

Sandy CA

Old March 29th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

With your 9" harp machine do you want straight stitch only or other
decorative stitches?

Straight stitch only...Brother 1500, Juki, Janome 1600,and probably
others I am forgetting. You can generally find these for under $1000.
No stitch regulator unless you want to put the machine up on a frame
then you can buy an add on. I did hear that you have to be careful
which Janome 1600 model you purchase as one takes standard needles and
one takes special ones (so you just can't run to Joanns and pick up a
package)

Iffn' you want decorative stitches too then consider the Elna 7200 or
the Janome 6500 or Janome 6600. They all have knee lift, auto thread
cutter, tons of stitches, come with quarter inch feet, walking feet (or
build in dual feed in the case of the 6600). You should be able to get
these for around $2,000.

We have several people here with the Bernina BSR who I'm sure will tell
you about that.

You'll have to decide which is more important - perfect free motion
stitches or more room to work.

marcella

Old March 29th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome Sandy.
Happy to see you when the muse strikes!
..
In message om, Sandy
writes
Hi Sandy ..

I am new to this group. I am from the SF Bay Area in California. I
have been quilting for several years, but I seem to do it sporatically.
I have made several lap-size quilts, table runners and many wall
hangings. I also like to to sashiko and red-work (my current project
is with green thread).

Sandy - CA

--
Best Regards