Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

Old March 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Memorial quilt for those killed in Iraq

Count me in.

Elizabeth in Spring, Texas
"Betsy Ross" wrote in message
et...
I would like to assemble a quilt top with blocks representing all the
service men and women killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Unfortunately,
the death toll is now over 2300. So I would like to use machine piecing to
get near the current total. Each additional block would then be added by
hand.

The design of the quilt would be simple square blocks, 2.5" finished. To
facilitate assembly, blocks would be joined into units that were 10 blocks
by 10 blocks for a total of 25.5 inches (unfinished). The individual
blocks and 10x10 units could be any color, with or without inscriptions or
signatures.

The quilt top could be made available for display if its safety can be
assured. (Once worked on a similar project that disappeared after being
borrowed.)

Would anyone like to participate in this effort? Looking for 23 people to
make one 10x10 unit.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 30th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I used EQ5 to create some samples of a 10x10 square unit. No
perpendicular or parallel adjacent squares are the same color to
emphasize that each square stands on its own, representing an
individual, unique life. The same color was used to create diagonal
stripes and checkerboards. These are only samples, most using "patriot"
colors. Units can be any color or design. You can also write on your
blocks.

I will post blocks/units as I receive them. If you do not have my snail
mail address please email me at betsyross2004*at*earthlink.net by
replacing *at* with @.

There is no deadline for this project. I wish there was a deadline when
we could know the last American has died in this war. I will post when
I have received enough 10x10 units cover the 2300+ casualties to date.

The album with design samples can be found at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/549046447jKmddU

Again, any comments or suggestions are welcomed, no encouraged.

Praying for the safe return of our troops and peace for all people.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 30th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Give me time to get my sewing room back in order and I will be happy to
participate in this. But I'm still curious...what will happen to the
quilt when it is finished?? VFW?? Legion?? VA hospital?? Just
curious. Also, I would like to see pictures when it is completed (as
far as it can be). I'm a visual person, and while I can get an idea of
what it will end up as, still......am I making any sense??

LArisa, off to see the doc, fix a cell phone, find a new backpack, and
then take the dog and daughter to DSs school - they are learning about
pets and DeAnna gets to spend 10 minutes with the class today..woohooo

Old March 30th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I can see the quilt being displayed on Veterans Day, Memorial Day, at
meetings of any group that would like to host the quilt. Any
contributor can ask to show the quilt. Of course, if it is in your
possession while there are additional casualties, you might consider
adding the necessary squares yourself. These additional squares will be
handstitched.

Personally, I would like to display the quilt in public places such as
parks or the beach. I think a small flyer describing the project,
perhaps with a list of contributors, could be made to pass out.

This is a group project. By contributing, you have a stake in it, an
opportunity to share it with your community.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 30th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Betsy Ross wrote:

I would like to assemble a quilt top with blocks representing all the
service men and women killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Unfortunately,
the death toll is now over 2300. So I would like to use machine piecing
to get near the current total. Each additional block would then be
added by hand.

I would like to do this. Is it okay if it is
hand-pieced? What is your time frame? It may
take me awhile to get a block done.

-- Anita --
Old March 30th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Those design samples are stunning! Thanks for sharing them Susan!

Dannielle

Old March 30th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

No, this will be a single quilt that represents all the lives lost.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross
"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Susan, are you thinking of something along the lines of Honor the
Fallen???
www.honorthefallen.org
--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old March 30th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Yahoo Group for the Memorial Quilt has been established.

If you would like to join the project but have not yet received an
invite from me, please email me at BetsyRoss2004 ***at*** earthlink.net.
As a contributor, you will be able to use the quilt for display in your
own community.

Thanks.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old March 30th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Honor the fallen uses 3 ft by 6 ft sections that are personalized for a
specific individual, much like the AIDS Memorial quilt.

This is a much simpler, smaller project.

--
Susan
aka Betsy Ross
"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
"Betsy Ross" wrote in
:

No, this will be a single quilt that represents all the lives lost.

Uhm.... so is the Honor the Fallen..... www.honorthefallen.org

--
Jan
RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old March 30th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The Honor the Fallen quilt is made by family or friends of each
individual soldier and they are large panels. The quilt that Betsy is
proposing would be much smaller and able to incorporate all of the
soldiers, not just the ones who are lucky enough to have family or
friends make a panel for them.

And it will also allow those of us who don't know anyone specific in
the war to also assist in some type of memorial in gratitude for all of
those who have died.

Did I explain that well enough? Sometimes it sounds better when I am
saying it in my head than it looks on paper (or 'puter)!

Dannielle