Ms. Anon Y Mouse squisher strikes at my house!

Old March 27th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Flowering trees was Ms. Anon Y Mouse squisher strikesat my house!

NightMist wrote:
I haven't planted anything yet, it snowed here yesterday!
I do have my seeds, and I have starts planted (used peat pellets) and
stashed all over the place. I also have my layouts drawn up. .......

I'm just about finished with planting new stuff but then, I live in
north Georgia and the weather has been OK. I must be a "random planter"
type gardener!! I don't really plan much about planting but that could
be because I really don't like annuals so I plant mostly perennials.
I'm not fond of gardening and don't get any pleasure out of working in
the garden. Problem is, I KNOW what I want my yard to look like and Dh
doesn't "do" plants. If I want plants, then I am the one who has to do
most of the work. DH will dig the big holes and schlepp big plants for
me and help if I ask him to but he *never* volunteers!
We had minimal landscaping when we moved here and about half of that
died after the first year. We worked with a landscaper to redo the
front yard the third spring we were here. I knew *nothing* about any of
the plants that would grow here -- cactus I could tell you all about but
not plants that grow where is rains -- LOL! We had two river birch put
in and some other pretty stuff -- azaleas, butterfly bush, salvia and
some sort of bush that has fluffy pink flowers. Then I went to work and
planted day lilies, liriope, verbena, yarrow, and loads of creeping
phlox and blue star creeper.
I also have a large bonsai style Japanese maple and a magnolia the
landscaper planted and DH and I planted three weeping willows last year
and the weeping cherry this year. I guess I did plan where I would put
this big stuff but not the smaller stuff. I know I want some plant in a
certain spot and then I drive around looking at what other people have.
Then I go to the nursery and look around and buy whatever strikes my
fancy -- LOL! I knew I wanted the creeping phlox but it took me
forever to find out what it was called! I would drive around and see
this beautiful flowery ground cover but no one could tell me what it
was. I finally found it at the local Home Depot and bought a dozen
plants -- LOL!
For someone who doesn't enjoy gardening, I'm out there every
weekend! The neighbors think I'm crazy, too! Oh well, the yard is
lovely and has trees and flowering plants all spring, summer and fall.
In winter the bushes around the front of the house are always green and
the huge holly bush has pretty red berries. The planters for seasonal
annuals have pansies and so there is always a bit of color in the front
yard :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old March 27th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Flowering trees

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:58:33 -0500, Tia Mary
wrote:

I'm just about finished with planting new stuff but then, I live in
north Georgia and the weather has been OK. I must be a "random planter"
type gardener!! I don't really plan much about planting but that could
be because I really don't like annuals so I plant mostly perennials.

I live in NW GA and all I seem to be doing is providing a wonderful
buffet for the deer this year! I've lived here since summer of 2002,
and I learned early on to spray Liquid Fence regularly, but this year,
it's not working!!!! I plant mostly perennials that say "deer
resistant" and as they start coming up, the deer are nibbling them to
the ground! You wouldn't believe how many little cages I've ended up
making out of deer mesh -- and that isn't at all attractive!

For someone who doesn't enjoy gardening, I'm out there every
weekend! The neighbors think I'm crazy, too! Oh well, the yard is
lovely and has trees and flowering plants all spring, summer and fall.

I'm exactly the same way!!! I won't have as many flowering things
this year, though, due to those deer!
Carole in Northwest GA - Retired and loving it!
Homepage - http://home.alltel.net/caroledoyle/
Old March 27th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carole Doyle wrote:
I live in NW GA and all I seem to be doing is providing a wonderful
buffet for the deer this year! .......
Carole in Northwest GA - Retired and loving it!
Homepage - http://home.alltel.net/caroledoyle/

Where in NW GA are you located? I'm just off GA 400 in Cumming near
Lake Lanier. We have a few deer around but not many so I'm lucky and
none of the critters hereabouts bothers my stuff much. CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old March 28th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carole Doyle wrote:
I'm about 15 miles NW of Canton. ..........

OOO -- you're not all that far away. We go to Canton several times
each summer for car shows! Have you been to the LQS in Dawsonville near
the outlets or the one in Dahlonega? The one in Dahlonega is really
nice -- never been to the one in Dawsonville. Are there any LQS or LNS
in your neck o' the woods? CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old March 28th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

I'm just about finished with planting new stuff but then, I live in
north Georgia and the weather has been OK. I must be a "random planter"
type gardener!! I don't really plan much about planting but that could
be because I really don't like annuals so I plant mostly perennials.

I live in NW GA and all I seem to be doing is providing a wonderful
buffet for the deer this year! I've lived here since summer of 2002,
and I learned early on to spray Liquid Fence regularly, but this year,
it's not working!!!! I plant mostly perennials that say "deer
resistant" and as they start coming up, the deer are nibbling them to
the ground! You wouldn't believe how many little cages I've ended up
making out of deer mesh -- and that isn't at all attractive!

I do believe that a lot of plants that are perennials for you two are
annuals for me, tis the difference in climate that makes it so.

The best deer resistant plant that I put in is the wolfsbane. I keep
replaceing the ones that die off each winter and soon I will have a
nice little lot of good big ones. They are pretty consistantly
perennial in points south of here. The deer not only avoid eating it,
they tend to stay right away from it. It is pretty toxic for a garden
plant, so if you have very small children or a great love of squirrels
you might want to avoid it. We have proper ravens that are about the
size of turkeys, so a few dead squirrels and mice is no great
hardship. Indeed, a dead squirrel is one that is not eating my garden
up. Granted, here in town we don't have a great number of deer, but I
know it helps keep them off out of town from prior experience. You
will also find it listed as monkshood, or blue aconite. It is in
great demand as a dried flower, as it keeps its color and shape very
well.

Now mention of ravens reminds me.....
I was thinking of putting up a hummingbird feeder and a butterfly
feeder. I do have a lot of flowers that are supposed to attract both
hummingbirds and butterflys. With the great number of ravens we get
I'm not sure if the pretty wee ones would dare come near. Does
anybody know anything about it? I've tried google searches but have
mostly ended up going in circles with it.

NightMist

--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old March 28th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:
..... Now mention of ravens reminds me.....
I was thinking of putting up a hummingbird feeder and a butterfly
feeder. I do have a lot of flowers that are supposed to attract both
hummingbirds and butterflys. With the great number of ravens we get
I'm not sure if the pretty wee ones would dare come near. Does
anybody know anything about it? I've tried google searches but have
mostly ended up going in circles with it.

NightMist

We have a TON of the smaller, southern equivalent here. I think
they are called grackels and they are loud, noisy, irritating birds.
Big, obnoxious black things that are always arguing amongst themselves.
They don't seem to bother any of the little flying pretties that we
have. I have three lovely butterfly bushes and get hordes of exquisite
butterflies in the summer. I don't get very many hummers but I know the
neighbors do and our black birds never seem to bother with them.
CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old March 28th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:45:09 GMT, Jan
wrote:

Tia Mary wrote in news:48sn58Flo570U1
:

We have a TON of the smaller, southern equivalent here. I think
they are called grackels and they are loud, noisy, irritating birds.
Big, obnoxious black things that are always arguing amongst

themselves.
They don't seem to bother any of the little flying pretties that we
have. I have three lovely butterfly bushes and get hordes of

exquisite
butterflies in the summer. I don't get very many hummers but I know

the
neighbors do and our black birds never seem to bother with them.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

Good to know.
I may just make the small investment for feeders and see what I get.
Last year the japanese beetles ate my hollyhocks to nubbins so I
didn't attract any hummers. The hummingbirds we get around here are
just mad for hollyhocks. This year I am barricadeing the hollyhocks
in with nicotiana and laceing the soil with garlic powder. We shall
see if that helps.

I was trying to figure out if I would know what a raven looked like even
if it landed on my head vbg and I'm not sure I would vbg but
living rural, we have a lot of wildlife.... and the hummingbirds are
very happy here. I did take pity last year and move my hibiscus trees
outside... poor things kept flying into the atrium glass trying to get
to those blooms. On the other hand... the zuchhini bugs haven't figured
out how to get into the atrium to the zuchinni so I might actually get
some for myself this year vbeg

Our ravens are monstrous huge, I have never seen any so big anywhere
else. Our Irish friend who has been to London says they are as big as
the ones in the Tower, only ours can fly. Great black birds, black
beaks, black feet, black eyes, black feathers, sort of crow shaped but
much bigger. They are carrion eaters mostly, so I don't know how they
live. Surely the odd squirrel or mouse isn't enough to keep the great
flock of them that descends on our house every spring.

NightMist
--
The wolf that understands fire has much to eat.
Old March 28th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

NightMist wrote:
.... Good to know.
I may just make the small investment for feeders and see what I get.
Last year the japanese beetles ate my hollyhocks to nubbins so I
didn't attract any hummers. The hummingbirds we get around here are
just mad for hollyhocks. This year I am barricadeing the hollyhocks
in with nicotiana and laceing the soil with garlic powder. We shall
see if that helps. ....

I have a recipe for some nasty stuff that I make and spray on my
flowering plants when the bug season gets in full swing. It works GREAT
and is all natural -- you could drink the stuff so it's all natural.
Of course, you'd likely get sick as a dog and puke your gut up or spend
a few days near the dunny but it wouldn't kill you!! Here's what I
make.....
Simmer 1 tbsp chewing tobacco in 2 cups water for 30 min. Drain
and save the liquid.
Simmer 1 tbsp naphtha soap in 2 cups water for 30 min. Drain and
save the liquid.

Mix together:
1 cup of BROWN colored mouthwash - Listerine type but off brand works
1 cup lemon dish soap
1 cup tobacco liquid
1 cup naphtha liquid
Spray this mixture at 1:20 (1 cup mix to 20 cups water) on your plants
that the bugs are eating. The plants LOVE it but bugs hate it. I have
yet to find a bug that can stand to nibble the leaves or flowers with
this stuff sprayed on it. Be sure to coat the underside of all leaves
and petals too! As you can see -- it's all natural and not toxic but it
WILL do some sort of yucky stuff to your system if you should drink it!
It's great to have around if you have curious kids who might possible
get into stuff!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
Old March 28th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carole Doyle wrote:
In Holly Springs, just down the road, south, not too far from I-575 is
"Quiltin' Time." One of my neighbors just recently bought it from its
previous owners. You can read more about it and find its location at
http://www.quiltintime-online.com if you want to visit. It's in a
white frame house and she's a real friendly owner! They have a
long-arm quilting service based there, too, and they have classes.
Carole in Northwest GA - Retired and loving it!
Homepage - http://home.alltel.net/caroledoyle/

I'll have to check out this shop! Since most of the car shows are in
the late afternoon, we could easily fit a quick trip to this LQS! Add
to that the odd trip to the Harbor Freight outlet off of exit 4 of I-575
and we're in the neighborhood for a quick visit :-)! Thanks for the
info & CiaoMeow ^;;^