Question about undercoat

Old April 17th 05, 05:58 AM
April Ann

Default Question about undercoat

I'm using my red undercoat. I know you are suppose to put it on, then
put the clear overglaze over it, then fire. My question is if you can
fire it first without the overglaze on it to make sure the coverage is
correct, then fire again with the overglaze.

*Catch you on the flipside*

Old April 17th 05, 07:37 AM
annemarie

"April Ann" wrote in message
I'm using my red undercoat. I know you are suppose to put it on, then
put the clear overglaze over it, then fire. My question is if you can
fire it first without the overglaze on it to make sure the coverage is
correct, then fire again with the overglaze.

*Catch you on the flipside*

Yes you can. I put underglaze on greenware and bisque it. Alternatively
you can underglaze bisqueware and fire again to about 700C. The brush
strokes and look of underglaze never shows entirely until you have glazed
and fired it though, when of course it is too late change. The best thing
is to do lots of testing. Different underglazes react differently and
require more or less to be applied. Also some reds and purples react badly
to higher temperatures. Its all about testing and practice )

Old April 19th 05, 01:22 AM
April Ann

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll use the underglaze on the
greenware next time. It's too late this time. I'm taking the items to
be fired tonight, so we'll see what happens.

*Catch you on the flipside*