Honest opinion needed bead name

Old February 20th 04, 10:10 PM
Kalera Stratton

Default Honest opinion needed bead name

Okay, I just got done with one of the most productive and draining
sessions at the torch I've ever had. It was one of those "breakthrough"
sessions where things fall into place, and I ended up with a new style
of focal bead that is the most physically and emotionally intensive
piece I have ever made.

Now for the question. During themaking of this bead, I was thinking, as
I often do while working, of my little brother Shaman, who took himself
out of this world while I was pregnant with my first child in 1997. I
would like to name the series after him, and the first thing that came
to my mind was "Suicide Flowers", along with an explanation of the
name... I would like people who buy them to think about the value and
joy of life, as well as the sorrow and waste of suicide, which was so
brought home to me by losing him. Would that be too macabre, and end up
turning people off from purchasing them? Should I go with my first
instinct, or choose something more upbeat, like "Shaman's Flowers"?

Thanks for your input,

-Kalera
Old February 20th 04, 10:12 PM
Beadbimbo

Hi Kalera,

I like the "Shaman's Flowers" better myself, just because it does sound more
upbeat. I would agree that "suicide flowers" along with the explanation,
might put people off. I dunno though. I'm curious to hear what others have
to say. To me, "Suicide Flowers" might work with something funky or
comical.

I'm sorry about your brother. That's so sad.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old February 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Tinkster

Oh Kalera... I'm so sorry about your brother. As for your question, I
guess what I would ask myself is this: Which name more reflects MY
reaction to the bead? In other words, it sounds like this was a
visceral experience for you. I wouldn't lessen it by choosing its name
based on the sensibilities of others.

It's *your* art. If people don't like the name you give it, then they
don't have to look at it or buy it.

Egads. I'm a little cranky today, eh? LOL!

Tinkzilla
Old February 20th 04, 10:28 PM
starlia

Kalera,

I have to agree with Tinkipoo on this one. It's all about your feelings on
these sets. I wouldn't be a bit put off with suicide beads because I've
lost dear ones to that fate myself. I'm so sorry about your loss as well.

Either way, I support you and your art. You are a warm and wonderful person
with many things to share including the joys of life.

Starlia

Old February 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Pam

Hi Kalera, I'm sorry about your brother - mine is not out of this world, but
has taken himself out of our family so it feels almost the same - except
there is hope he will find his way back still - so not the same... but I do
sympathize... anyway... what about something else - I'm thinking Lost Soul
Flowers maybe... only because of this website I know of:
http://www.lostsoulcompanion.com/book/A1_who.php

It might not fit your brother's situation but maybe it will give you some
ideas of what to call your series - assuming you are still looking for
something to call them.

Can't wait to see them...

--
Pam Brisse
The Blue Between - hand crafted jewelry and bead art

Old February 20th 04, 11:12 PM
Christina Peterson

I think the name "Suicide Flowers" will lose you sales. If you choose to
use the name for your own satisfaction, go for it, but it will impact sales
negatively, in my opinion.

I also think it will affix the the notion of suicide in your mind to work so
closely on these beads with those thoughts in mind.

I would suggest you find a similar image with less painful emphasis for your
beads. Funerary Ware, Gifts for Passing, Gifts for Charon, Fluer de Mort,
New Life from Death (ie Spring), For the Journey, Crossing the Bridge.
Beauty from Pain.

I would feel honored to see them.

Tina

Old February 21st 04, 12:20 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

How about Joyful Life Florals? Or Celebration Garden Series? Emergent
Destiny? Serene Strength? Something that is uplifting and encouraging. We
live in a culture of death and too much morbid imagry surrounds us IMHO.
Sorry about your brother too.
Hugs,
Karleen

--
Vibrant Jewels Online Bead & Jewelry Store
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm

Karleen Page/Vibrant Jewels
JustBead Auctions
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=21770
PayPal Merchant Account
https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=7XJ98L86Z7S2C

Old February 21st 04, 12:44 AM
Dr. Sooz

Try this -- meditate on the things that you value about your brother when you
think of him. Name your beads after those qualities, and not the method that
took him from you.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 21st 04, 01:04 AM
Diana Curtis

Things often have a name, and then we call it something else. .. for
instance.. you are Kalera... you are also known as a lampworker, mother ,...
So, its name, where its power lies, can be Suicide Flower but you can call
it something else on the selling page.
Im not convinced Im making sense except to myself. :-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old February 21st 04, 01:29 AM
Dr. Sooz

Things often have a name, and then we call it something else. .. for
instance.. you are Kalera... you are also known as a lampworker, mother ,...
So, its name, where its power lies, can be Suicide Flower but you can call
it something else on the selling page.
Im not convinced Im making sense except to myself. :-)
Diana

Fantastic, Diana!
~~
Sooz