question about printers for fabric

Old October 12th 03, 05:02 PM
Dr. Quilter

Default question about printers for fabric

I know some printers are OK and some are not. I can use a B&W HP 4000
and a colour 4600. Been looking online at the HP site and found that the
second one is a laser, but can't tell exactly what the first one is. I
also have a 932c, which is a deskjet. Susan Dundrig from About.com says
Laser is OK and permanent after iron setting. Are special
paper/fabric/treatments required for the deskjet? I think Ragmop told me
that ink was not permanent, and indeed my label from the Rhapsody in
Blue with Starlight quilt faded after washing even if it had been ink
set! So now I am going over those with markers and I just use the
printer to make nice fonts as guidelines.

But my little brother who has been living in Mexico City just rented a
new apartment after living for months in the hotel where he is the
reception manager, and is decorating it all in black an white; so he
asked me for cushions and large pillows and had the idea of using some
of his artistic pictures (his hobby) for them... I made him one
yesterday just with randomly placed white, black, grey and one red
square, but I'd like to indulge him a little bit with the picture idea...
--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old October 12th 03, 07:58 PM
Elizabeth Young

Dr. Quilter wrote:

I know some printers are OK and some are not. I can use a B&W HP 4000
and a colour 4600. Been looking online at the HP site and found that the
second one is a laser, but can't tell exactly what the first one is. I
also have a 932c, which is a deskjet. Susan Dundrig from About.com says
Laser is OK and permanent after iron setting.

color laser printers are nice, but check the cost of replacement toner
cartridges before you get you heart set on a particular model!

liz young in sunny california

Old October 12th 03, 11:03 PM
Sherry Starr

I have a hp psc 2210 all-in-one printer. It is an inkjet printer. My old
printer was also a HP inkjet. I have never had any problems with labels or
photos printed on fabric fading.
Sherry Starr

Old October 13th 03, 02:49 AM
Clooniff

The new inks for deskjets are pigmented inks which don't fade like the old
ones. They had to develop them because of all the photo printing being done
now. How fortunate for us quilters!

The 4600 is a laserjet.

Betty in CT

Old October 18th 03, 06:33 PM
Dr. Quilter

OH, I am not buying them, just using the ones at work and hoping they
don't get jammed with threads or it will be very easy to pinpoint the
guilty one! )