Need help finding findings

Old September 27th 03, 09:21 AM
Jalynne

Default Need help finding findings

I've been searching all over the place for eyeglasses holder findings, and all i can
find are gold or silver plated or nickel. I want to make a convertable
necklace/eyeglasses holder for a friend of mine who just started wearing reading
glasses...but i can't find any that are silver or gold filled, because nickel makes
her break out. Any ideas? I've Googled...and searched for hours and at my wit's
end. Thanks so much for any help. The only thing i can think of is to get some wire
and make some myself...taking the rubber loops out of a lesser quality metal
set....but is that really feasable?

--
Jalynne

Old September 27th 03, 11:09 AM
Kandice Seeber

I have never seen any made with sterling or gold-filled - just plain brass
and nickel.
I hope you find some!
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 27th 03, 02:29 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

I have seen them with all rubber, usually in black. If you don't find and
you only want one pair, check at the dollar store or a sporing goods store
and buy a completed one with the all rubber. Also look at the ones that
hold your glasses tight to the head, "Croakies" they are made with only a
polypropolene type of material with a tight tube that goes over the ear
piece. YOu might get one of those and and cut a small section of the tube
off and then bead from it.
Susan W

nk.net...

Old September 27th 03, 03:02 PM
Jalynne

I didn't think about looking at the dollar store...i could at least take the metal
part off it and wrap them with my own wire, i suppose. The Croakies ones just won't
do in this case because the earpieces on my friend's reading glasses are much too
small for them (and even if they did fit, i can't even figure out how to make the
thing convert to a necklace?) Anyway, i will definitely take your suggestion to
look at the dollar store, thanks!
--
Jalynne

"Steve & Susan Wright" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have seen them with all rubber, usually in black. If you don't find and
you only want one pair, check at the dollar store or a sporing goods store
and buy a completed one with the all rubber. Also look at the ones that
hold your glasses tight to the head, "Croakies" they are made with only a
polypropolene type of material with a tight tube that goes over the ear
piece. YOu might get one of those and and cut a small section of the tube
off and then bead from it.
Susan W

nk.net...

Old September 27th 03, 09:04 PM
Christina Peterson

For my own, I use the clear glasses holder and wrap the end very tightly to
the end of the glasses, permanently. My nose is missing a lot of cartilage
and the weigh of normal glasses puts my nose "to sleep" and it gets all
weird and tingly, so I use the very lightest glasses, with skinny ear
pieces.

Actually I need to redo my glasses leashes soon. I think I'll wire a loop
tight around the glasses and a loop at the bottom to connect to. Maybe with
a crystal between the loops. Then I could just hook what ever leash I want
onto it using those EZ Lock clasps Kandice showed us on both ends of the
leashes.

The loop and crystal would be permanently on the ear piece, like an ear
ornament. I always put my leashes on at the very end tip of the ear piece
(temple bar), because I find that seeing the chain in my peripheral vision
is extremely distracting. I always use small transparent or translucent
beads to make the chain as invisible and neutral as I can. Especially since
you want her to able to use the glasses chain with as many of her outfits as
possible.

By the way, I think I'd make (for myself or a friend) a matching set of
necklace and eye glass leash, especially if the idea is to help her learn to
use the "leash". So she won't justify not using it for her glasses by
deciding to use it always as a necklace.

Tina

nk.net...

Old September 28th 03, 06:53 AM
Kandice Seeber

Online and on eBay. Here are some links -

(I am guessing this is brass, but it does say gold colored metal.)

http://www.sfjssantafe.com/items.php...DepId=findings
This one says brass - I see these all over the place. Usually they say gold
colored, but often that means brass.

http://www.landofodds.com/Search.bok...L ASS+LEASHES
Here's a whole ton of different ones - all kinds of metals.

I hope this helps!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

brass?? i didn't see any brass ones last night? that might fit the

bill...where have
you seen them?
--
Jalynne

Old September 28th 03, 07:08 AM
Jalynne

OOOH, thanks Kandice...those second ones are soooo pretty....perfect for my use!!! I
knew you guys wouldn't let me down!
--
Jalynne

Old September 28th 03, 11:00 AM
Kandice Seeber

Glad to help.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 28th 03, 02:12 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

Don't think of using the croakie in the standard way but just cutting a 1/4
inch piece of the tube that goes over the ear piece. Then using beading
thread take a few stitches through the seam and make your leash the length
you want and then finish with another tube. It will be a
l------------------l with the l being the tubes and the ----being the
beads. If you wanted to you could also put jump rings through the tubes and
then attach the leash to that.

Susan W

"Jalynne" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

nk.net...

Old September 28th 03, 02:19 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

Since she has problems with metal I would be sure to make the leashes
detatacable from the ear pieces so that if she has a problem with the metal
on the holders you can change them out. Use some type of clasp to hook on
to the circle on the holder. Another advantage to this is that you can then
hook the two clasps together and have a necklace.

Susan W

"Jalynne" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

can we talk about quality findings and components? (long) Pam Beads 76 September 27th 03 09:10 AM
beads but no findings, findings but no beads. laura Beads 19 September 9th 03 10:48 PM
Teapot Findings BeckiBead Beads 16 August 13th 03 04:23 AM
87 piece findings on auction Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 0 August 4th 03 03:31 PM
ISO sterling ear cuff findings Barbara Otterson Beads 0 August 4th 03 08:05 AM