pictures and letters on pottery

Old March 26th 05, 05:07 PM
April Ann

Default pictures and letters on pottery

I know there are stickers with pictures and letters, etc you can put on
your projects. They are to be used for all of us non-artist type who
want to dress up items.

I know they go on after the greenware is fired, but that's all I know.
Do you put them on after underglaze is fired, or regular glaze is fired?
Then you put clear glaze over them?

What are they called anyway? I've been trying to find some on the web
to buy, but have been unsuccessful because I'm not putting in the
correct words.

Thanks for your help!

*Catch you on the flipside*

Old March 26th 05, 06:09 PM
Jake Loddington

In message , April Ann
writes
I know there are stickers with pictures and letters, etc you can put on
your projects. They are to be used for all of us non-artist type who
want to dress up items.

I know they go on after the greenware is fired, but that's all I know.
Do you put them on after underglaze is fired, or regular glaze is fired?
Then you put clear glaze over them?

What are they called anyway? I've been trying to find some on the web
to buy, but have been unsuccessful because I'm not putting in the
correct words.

Thanks for your help!

*Catch you on the flipside*

They are called 'decals', which is short for decalcomania, whatever that
means. They usually go on top of the final glaze.

There are several companies supplying stock decals, such as
Potterycrafts in the UK, but if you want to have your own design put on
a decal, it can be expensive. I got a quote from Pamela Moreton (also
UK) for a single small design, consisting of text (no half-tones), and
it was in the region of 70 UKP.

A Google search for 'decals' gives over 2 million results, so you have
plenty to choose from! Refine your search, to eliminate the decals
which are applied to racing cars, or to aeromodels and the like.

--
Jake Loddington, POULTON-LE-FYLDE, Lancashire, England

Old March 26th 05, 07:16 PM
Carl D Cravens

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Jake Loddington wrote:

They are called 'decals', which is short for decalcomania, whatever that
means.

I never new that.

It means exactly what it looks like... "decal mania" or craziness. It's
from French words for "decal" (to transfer a tracing) and "craze", due
to the popularity of the techinque in the 19th century.

--
Carl D Cravens )
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
Old March 27th 05, 07:43 AM
April Ann

Thanks for the info everyone. Now I know what to look for. I'm
surprised they go on over the last glaze. I would have thought they
would go on, then you'd put clear glaze over them to protect them.

*Catch you on the flipside*

Old March 27th 05, 02:24 PM
tjnamtiw

Go to www.harbon.com for the biggest selection of decals you can imagine. I
ordered their catalog, while expensive, is awesome. Just put the decal on
after everything else is done, fire it to about 017 and you're done.