knitting in the round on dp needles

Old November 16th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
gw

Default knitting in the round on dp needles

I have to make up a bunch of hats, like a watch cap, and the yarn
takes a US 7/9 needle. I have the dp needles now, (tried on a
circular, but could NOT get this to work) and wondered is there
anything in partcular I have to watch out for?

many thanks for any tips or tricks anyone wants to share.
gw
Old November 17th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

gw wrote:
I have to make up a bunch of hats, like a watch cap, and the yarn
takes a US 7/9 needle. I have the dp needles now, (tried on a
circular, but could NOT get this to work) and wondered is there
anything in partcular I have to watch out for?

many thanks for any tips or tricks anyone wants to share.
gw

The experts are on rec.crafts.textiles.yarn....rcty.

However I have knitted many years, since I was about 4. ( that is well
over a half-century)

If it is possible I use the circular needle. Maybe the length of your
needle is too big? They come in three sizes, the smallest of which is 16
inches, then 24" and 29" is the largest. If you choose to use the double
ended, just be careful not to lose a stitch of the "back-end" of the
needle. I grew up when there were not circular needles, and using the
double-pointed takes a bit of practice, but you can do it!!

Whatever you use, use a marker of some sort to show where each circle
starts! You can buy the fancy rings, but a paperclip works well.
Anything that slips from one needle to the other!

I think this is my first, and probably, last post on knitting!LOLOL

Gillian
Old November 17th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

gw wrote:

I have to make up a bunch of hats, like a watch cap, and the yarn
takes a US 7/9 needle. I have the dp needles now, (tried on a
circular, but could NOT get this to work) and wondered is there
anything in partcular I have to watch out for?

many thanks for any tips or tricks anyone wants to share.
gw

Make your first and last stitch on each needle a little tight, so you
won't have "ladders" at the gaps when you're done.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 10/21/07 - Floral Elegance Collection "Crocus"

WIP: The Teacher, Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 17th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Karen C in California wrote:
gw wrote:

I have to make up a bunch of hats, like a watch cap, and the yarn
takes a US 7/9 needle. I have the dp needles now, (tried on a
circular, but could NOT get this to work) and wondered is there
anything in partcular I have to watch out for?

many thanks for any tips or tricks anyone wants to share.
gw

Make your first and last stitch on each needle a little tight, so you
won't have "ladders" at the gaps when you're done.

Good point, Karen!

Gill
Old November 17th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Start from the middle , make 4 st on 1needle , moove to end take other
needle and with thread from other end *k 1 make 1*
divide these over 3 needles take another colored thread make little
loop use as marker.
and now k 1 round and next round k1 make 1.... till you have a circle
that covers a top of a head [grown up or children.
now knit2, purl 2 ..for till height of eyes [measure on yourself.
put a third of your stitches on hold , and k/p only over 2/3 [ back
and to not in circle, for 5cm, k/p you row cast on while knitting them
same amount of sstiches you didn`t knit , and go on k/p in the round
till it fits a grown up [or child to under his /her chin , now divive
into 2 and knit each side separately and at both ends k 3rd and 4th
st, from the end or start of row togeher ,,,, this will make edge easy
to tuck under shirt or coat opening.

collect stiches you witheld , cast on st, at the sides of `hole where
you k/p only the sides , cast on st, on cast on stiches under hole ,
and on other side ,,,,,k2 p2 1 round , now either take smaller sized
needles or cast off stiches st the 4 points of the hole ,,,, make
several rounds , cast off with needle 1 size bigger than you used to
knit last round .
mirjam

Old November 17th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:07:40 -0800 (PST), gw
wrote:

I have to make up a bunch of hats, like a watch cap, and the yarn
takes a US 7/9 needle. I have the dp needles now, (tried on a
circular, but could NOT get this to work) and wondered is there
anything in partcular I have to watch out for?

many thanks for any tips or tricks anyone wants to share.

A hat is too small for a circular, but you can knit one on two
circulars: put half the stitches on each needle, knit one with its
own tail, knit the other one with its own tail. This process is the
same as knitting on three long needles, as our ancestors often did,
but with flexible needles it takes less skill.

Knitting a watch cap on DPs: no particular problem; it's my preferred
method. You may need two sets, particularly if your DPs are sock
needles. If the design is in sections, put one section on each
needle; if not, use four or six needles depending on the length of the
needles and the circumference of the hat. I like an even number of
needles so that the work can be folded flat at any moment (I mostly
knit while waiting for something.) Also, four or more needles put
less strain on the corners and make it easier to avoid ladders than
when the stitches are arranged in a rigid triangle.

As you decrease the stitches, re-arrange them onto fewer needles until
the last round is held on two and knitted with a third. (Or start on
three needles and increase, depending on pattern. (Emily Ocker's
Circular Beginning has enough stitches to hold three from the start.))

If you get ladders between the needles, remember that the looseness
isn't *in* the stitches, it's *between* the stitches. There is no way
a stitch can be pulled tight enough to make up for a long stretch of
yarn between it and the previous stitch -- you have to pull yarn
*through* the stitch, to snug it up next to the previous stitch.

The yarn you've pulled through can pull back again, so knit the second
stitch on the needle as carefully as the first. By the third stitch
there should be enough friction to hold the yarn where you've put it.
It all becomes automatic after a while; my ladders disappeared a
couple of years before I figured out how I'd done it.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Old November 18th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:22:59 GMT, Gill Murray
wrote:

Whatever you use, use a marker of some sort to show where each circle
starts! You can buy the fancy rings, but a paperclip works well.
Anything that slips from one needle to the other!

If the pattern makes it easy to follow a column of stitches from the
cast-on up to the needles, just don't tuck in the end from casting on
until you have broken off.

Many traditional patterns -- no hats, as far as I know -- use a
distinctive column of stitches to mark the beginning of the round.

Joy Beeson

Old November 19th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
gw

Joy, thank you so much for your good advice, and in fact to all who
posted. I am feeling a bit more confident now with beginning, but I do
like what you said, Joy and I am going to write it down to keep with
the instructions...

thanks to you and everyone!
Wish me luck, I have two of these to make by Saturday...gw

knitting a flat pattern in the round myswendy[_2_] Yarn 7 June 5th 07 07:35 PM
Joining new yarn when knitting in the round hesira Yarn 8 January 16th 07 04:49 AM
Knitting needles Pat Grant User Yarn 14 January 26th 06 10:56 PM
Knitting Hats in the round WITHOUT dpns? mdemama Yarn 8 November 18th 05 11:12 AM
DPN knitting needles for sale (double-pointed needles) marilyn safier Marketplace 0 October 5th 05 07:41 AM