OT Been busy...

Old September 27th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default OT Been busy...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I wasn't planning on selling hand-made items, but rather nice items that
could make lovely wedding/anniversary/birthday/etc gifts.

That means quite a lot of investment - and shopfitting.

You have more guts than I have :-)

The only hand-made things I was planning on having in my shop was going to
be a donation box called "Blankets of Love" (my own idea) for people to
donate blankets (whether they are hand-made or store bought, doesn't
matter) for others who can't afford to buy because I think everyone should
have something to comfort them and/or keep them warm wherever they may be
or go. I still want to do that, regardless what kind of business I ever
end up having, because it's important to me. )

It's a lovely idea too.

I can't remember the last time I bought anything in a gift shop. I know
I'm not a 'normal' shopper but I doubt that I'm alone. Mind you, I'm not
a 'normal' shopper even in a supermarket and they seem to thrive :-)

Funny you should say that... because I'm not actually a shopper myself.
In fact I detest shopping! My sisters say I must be adopted. LOL When
I *have* to shop I want to know in advance what I'm going for and have a
general idea of where in the store it may be, so I can get it and leave.

Yes, we only go shopping for food (and postage stamps and tools - we don't
mind shopping for those) and when we do we go together because we both
dislike it so much that we don't think the other should have to do it alone.
Actually that's changing a bit since a very good supermarket came to ten
miles away.

My sisters on the other hand will linger over the same clothes rack for
twenty minutes or more.... it drives me crazy. I say "Tell me what you're
looking for and I will find it for you!" I guess that's a form of
relaxation to them, but it makes me very tense.... I would much rather sit
in the car (I *have offered to do this, but they dragged me practically
kicking and screaming in the store with them saying they want to spend
time with me.) doing crossword puzzles.

So would I!

Well, why not just stand still for a while? Do you actually NEED the
income from a stressful job? Years ago I decided that if I had the time
at home which I gave to an employer I could be more comfortable and be a
better mother and wife AND could save money on bought-in goods.

Well, we do need the income... but I would rather it wasn't from a
stressful job. If Matthew could manage to get himself a part-time job (he
needs it to be part-time because of studies for his courses), then there
would be some extra income and we could likely manage to get by with that
and I wouldn't have to work. However, I honestly wouldn't mind working at
the fairs next summer (I don't find that stressful, and actually enjoy
it)... but we need to get through the winter on our combined income, and
that isn't that wonderful at the moment.

Hmm. I don't know what part time work is like where you are, here students
don't seem to find it difficult to get them. I think it's not good for them
to work while they should be studying though, our children had full grants
(because of our low income) so their fees were paid. They used to get jobs
during the long summer holidays but it was for extras, not necessities.

Not preaching, honestly. I know that some people like working, I don't
mind it for a short while but not in the long term.

Oh I know! With normal jobs, I don't care for it much... it is very
stressful. One of the jobs I had wasn't too bad, but the foreman and some
co-workers made it stressful. I was five minutes late one night (because
half way there I ran into a really bad blizzard and could barely see, and
the road hadn't been plowed out properly) and the foreman was all over me
about how I should leave home early enough to get to work on time. I told
him that I had left in plenty of time and there was no snow at all in my
town, I hit the storm half way there and had to slow right down to a crawl
and I was lucky I made it at all because I had passed three other cars in
the ditch. His response.... "Check the weather channel and plan on bad
weather and leave earlier.. be here on time!!" Yeah... bite me!

What a ... well, I've never used bad language on Usenet (or anywhere else)
but that makes me want to call him something foul!

Now back to the candles!

Candles? You're making candles? Do you make scented ones? mmmMMMmmm

No because I only make beeswax candles and they have their own fragrance. It
would be like squirting a rose with scent :-)

A television channel is making yet another version of Pride and Prejudice
and wants 400 large dipped candles to light a stately home about 15 miles
away (Harewood House, home of the Queen's cousin). I've used all my wax
though and although I ordered some on Monday it still hasn't come. I despair
when people let me down! It's another downside of relying on suppliers. I
normally manage with what beekeepers sell me but this was urgent. Still, the
props chap will be able to collect at least 150 on Monday. There would have
been more but I've also made some for a very special exhibition of Romanoff
porcelain to be held in New York. They had to have appropriate wicks for
their date - made from flax.

Speaking of scented candles... I recently came across some that smell like
chocolate chip cookies. That is SOOOO mean to make something you can't
eat smell so good. LOL

Don't talk about chocolate chip cookies, I'm trying to lose weight. And
succeeding, slowly. I've lost half a stone in the last four weeks.

Hurrah!

Hugs,

Mary

Old September 28th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Sep 26, 1:57 pm, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
snip

Anyway, just wanted to catch everyone up on what's happening here.

Which you did! Talk about a good news/bad news letter! Oh, my,
Gem, I am so sorry that your hopes for a gift shop are once again
in limbo. But I know you - you won't give up! Eventually, you will
be totally self-supporting, and meanwhile, try to find some time
to enjoy life.

Higs,
Katherine

Old September 28th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

The only hand-made things I was planning on having in my shop was going
to be a donation box called "Blankets of Love" (my own idea) for people
to donate blankets (whether they are hand-made or store bought, doesn't
matter) for others who can't afford to buy because I think everyone
should have something to comfort them and/or keep them warm wherever they
may be or go. I still want to do that, regardless what kind of business I
ever end up having, because it's important to me. )

It's a lovely idea too.

Thank you! )

Hmm. I don't know what part time work is like where you are, here students
don't seem to find it difficult to get them. I think it's not good for
them to work while they should be studying though, our children had full
grants (because of our low income) so their fees were paid. They used to
get jobs during the long summer holidays but it was for extras, not
necessities.

It would be different if Matthew were taking full daytime courses at
college, but he is taking two night courses (4 hours a night, once a week
for each of them... Monday & Tuesday) and actually has relatively little
homework that he can do in one day. So the part-time work he is looking for
is to basically help with a few more of the bills (the house and the
utilities are in both of our names) so we can try to get out from under and
then keep ahead a bit.

the ditch. His response.... "Check the weather channel and plan on bad
weather and leave earlier.. be here on time!!" Yeah... bite me!

What a ... well, I've never used bad language on Usenet (or anywhere else)
but that makes me want to call him something foul!

Yep, my feelings exactly!

Candles? You're making candles? Do you make scented ones? mmmMMMmmm

No because I only make beeswax candles and they have their own fragrance.
It would be like squirting a rose with scent :-)

Ahh, I see!

A television channel is making yet another version of Pride and Prejudice
and wants 400 large dipped candles to light a stately home about 15 miles
away (Harewood House, home of the Queen's cousin). I've used all my wax
though and although I ordered some on Monday it still hasn't come. I
despair when people let me down! It's another downside of relying on
suppliers. I normally manage with what beekeepers sell me but this was
urgent. Still, the props chap will be able to collect at least 150 on
Monday. There would have been more but I've also made some for a very
special exhibition of Romanoff porcelain to be held in New York. They had
to have appropriate wicks for their date - made from flax.

How nice that you got called upon to make the candles for them. )

Speaking of scented candles... I recently came across some that smell
like chocolate chip cookies. That is SOOOO mean to make something you
can't eat smell so good. LOL

Don't talk about chocolate chip cookies, I'm trying to lose weight. And
succeeding, slowly. I've lost half a stone in the last four weeks.

*giggle* Sorry for the temptation! Congratulations on losing the weight
though! ) I *had* been losing some weight while swimming everyday in
the summer, but I don't think I've lost anything at all since I had to stop
swimming. Oh well, I'll have to try to lose it another way... I still have
a couple of months before any snow decides to fly here, so maybe I can go
out walking everyday. However I have to wait to start that until next week
as my weekend is busy and I will be on the sofa resting each night.

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 28th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

How nice that you got called upon to make the candles for them. )

I'm more pleased about the four pairs for New York than the 200 for tv! It's
far more glamorous and prestigious - my candles in that beautiful
porcelain - kept hidden since the Czar and his family were murdered ...

Speaking of scented candles... I recently came across some that smell
like chocolate chip cookies. That is SOOOO mean to make something you
can't eat smell so good. LOL

Don't talk about chocolate chip cookies, I'm trying to lose weight. And
succeeding, slowly. I've lost half a stone in the last four weeks.

*giggle* Sorry for the temptation! Congratulations on losing the
weight though! ) I *had* been losing some weight while swimming
everyday in the summer, but I don't think I've lost anything at all since
I had to stop swimming. Oh well, I'll have to try to lose it another
way... I still have a couple of months before any snow decides to fly
here, so maybe I can go out walking everyday. However I have to wait to
start that until next week as my weekend is busy and I will be on the sofa
resting each night.

I believe that walking IS excellent - but I can't do it because of my pain.
I insist on walking a couple of hundred yards to the post box every day -
but then I need a little sit-down to recover I do make the most of the
sit-down - I knit.

Mary

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 28th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...

Which you did! Talk about a good news/bad news letter! Oh, my,
Gem, I am so sorry that your hopes for a gift shop are once again
in limbo. But I know you - you won't give up! Eventually, you will
be totally self-supporting, and meanwhile, try to find some time
to enjoy life.

I was thinking yesterday that I should call the college to ask them a few
questions that were bothering me, before trying (yet again) to talk to
anyone from any part of the government about possible funding to pay for the
course. Just as I picked up the phone (to actually call a couple of other
places about other things first) it rang... and it was someone from the
college to talk to me about any questions I may have. ) After speaking
with her, I am even more sure now that I *do* want to try to take the
Computer Graphic course, which includes Web Design and Desktop Publishing.

She asked me why I was interested in that particular course and I told her
that I have always enjoyed doing artwork, that I enjoy doing internet
searches, that I used to have my own website (even though a friend actually
created it for me, I did the upkeep until the place it was held "xoom"
closed down and my website went with it... I do still have all the pages
zipped on a disk), and that I do some writing and thought if I could learn
the Desktop Publishing part of the course I could publish my own work. She
was so excited and told me that I sound like the "perfect candidate to take
this course" and that I would very likely excel in it because of all the
interest I have in it. )

When I mentioned that the woman in one of the branches of the government
told me that the government would not go for "correspondence courses", she
told me that the college isn't actually a correspondence course college, but
rather a "The only national accredited Distance Education Provider in the
country, and also ISO Designated." When I told her what the woman said
about them not being able to monitor what I was doing, she told me the
college would be happy to provide Monthly Progress Reports to them on my
behalf so they *can* see what and how I'm doing in the course. ) So I
will be contacting a few people in government offices (again) to see who I
should be speaking to about this, and if they can help with the funding. It
would be great if they can... if they can't, I may end up having to look
into a student loan... which I'm told they give you ten years to pay it back
if I do have to go that route. But come hell or high water, I do want to
take this course!!!

According to the woman I spoke with at the college (and I already knew this,
but she just verified it for me), this course will teach me how to make
brochures, menus, posters, calendars (and a good friend recently sent me a
digital camera, so I can take some nice pictures to make it more personal),
etc... and I could either work *for* someone else, freelancing for a few
other places, or for myself out of my own home. I really am looking forward
to taking this course, so I seriously hope I can get the funding... if not,
I hope I can manage a student loan to do it.
--
Meanwhile, Matthew and I are busy this weekend... we were called yesterday
asking us to come work at the fair an hour away from home. We will both be

I have to finish checking my email, etc and get off the computer so Matthew
can have some time too before we have to leave.

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 28th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

I believe that walking IS excellent - but I can't do it because of my
pain. I insist on walking a couple of hundred yards to the post box every
day - but then I need a little sit-down to recover I do make the most
of the sit-down - I knit.

I agree and have told Matthew many times that walking as well as swimming
are two of the best exercises there are... they work everything. However, I
also know what you mean about the pain. I have some days when I have such a
hard time with the Fibromyalgia, but I *love* walking and seriously can't do
it in the winter at all because I tend to slip and fall often with the ice
and snow... so I want to try to get at least some walking in before the snow
comes. Even if it is only leisurely walking, it's better than nothing... so
I may take my digital camera along with me and go walking on the trail that
used to be the railroad tracks to see what things I might see to take
pictures of. Of course when I have really bad days, I will just have to
sit home and dream about walking instead.

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 29th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Sep 28, 10:44 am, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:

She asked me why I was interested in that particular course and I told her
that I have always enjoyed doing artwork, that I enjoy doing internet
searches, that I used to have my own website (even though a friend actually
created it for me, I did the upkeep until the place it was held "xoom"
closed down and my website went with it... I do still have all the pages
zipped on a disk), and that I do some writing and thought if I could learn
the Desktop Publishing part of the course I could publish my own work. She
was so excited and told me that I sound like the "perfect candidate to take
this course" and that I would very likely excel in it because of all the
interest I have in it. )

Well, that doesn't come as any great surprise to me! g

[...]

Now, I am liking the sound of this woman already.

According to the woman I spoke with at the college (and I already knew this,
but she just verified it for me), this course will teach me how to make
brochures, menus, posters, calendars (and a good friend recently sent me a
digital camera, so I can take some nice pictures to make it more personal),
etc... and I could either work *for* someone else, freelancing for a few
other places, or for myself out of my own home. I really am looking forward
to taking this course, so I seriously hope I can get the funding... if not,
I hope I can manage a student loan to do it.

Fingers crossed for you!

--
Meanwhile, Matthew and I are busy this weekend... we were called yesterday
asking us to come work at the fair an hour away from home. We will both be
running rides (not the Slide that I did last weekend) so we have to go a bit
early today so we can be shown what to do. We'll work Friday, Saturday and
Sunday... coming home in the night of course. So it will keep us busy and
out of trouble for the weekend... and will keep me on the sofa when I get
home, resting my legs and feet. Ah well, money well earned... and I do
enjoy being around the kids.... I just a big kid myself you know. LOL
*And* at the end of the day on Sunday, we get as much cotton candy, candy
apples and caramel corn that we want to take home FREE from whatever hasn't
been sold off. WOOHOO!!! ;o)

LOL Well, I'd rather you than me! I would come home with a headache, I
think!
But you enjoy it, sweetie!

Higs,
Katherine

Old September 30th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

oups.com...
wrote:

[...]

Oh me too! She was so nice to speak with, and her accent (being from the
east coast) so reminded me of my Mom's accent. She was such a treat to talk
to... informative as well as fun. )

According to the woman I spoke with at the college (and I already knew
this,
but she just verified it for me), this course will teach me how to make
brochures, menus, posters, calendars (and a good friend recently sent me
digital camera, so I can take some nice pictures to make it more
personal),
etc... and I could either work *for* someone else, freelancing for a few
other places, or for myself out of my own home. I really am looking
forward
to taking this course, so I seriously hope I can get the funding... if
not,
I hope I can manage a student loan to do it.

Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you, Katherine... I need it!

Meanwhile, Matthew and I are busy this weekend... we were called
yesterday
asking us to come work at the fair an hour away from home. We will both
be
running rides (not the Slide that I did last weekend) so we have to go a
bit
early today so we can be shown what to do. We'll work Friday, Saturday
and
Sunday... coming home in the night of course. So it will keep us busy
and
out of trouble for the weekend... and will keep me on the sofa when I get
home, resting my legs and feet. Ah well, money well earned... and I do
enjoy being around the kids.... I'm just a big kid myself you know. LOL
*And* at the end of the day on Sunday, we get as much cotton candy, candy
apples and caramel corn that we want to take home FREE from whatever
hasn't
been sold off. WOOHOO!!! ;o)

LOL Well, I'd rather you than me! I would come home with a headache, I
think!
But you enjoy it, sweetie!

Thank you, I will.

No headaches coming home, however I *did* get myself a nasty cold as of
yesterday afternoon. No big surprise really! Other years when I've worked
with them I have come down with colds too... it's that time of the year when
you aren't sure exactly how to dress. So today I go to work *with* a
headache already from the cold, and a nose that refuses to stop running.
ARGH Oh well, at least it's the last day... so when I come home the cold
can live out the rest of it's run with me camping out on the sofa with
juice, tea, water, a box of tissues (or a bucket hanging under my nose, as
my Mom used to say. LOL) and my comfortghan from all of you to keep me
toasty warm. ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

Old October 1st 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Sep 30, 9:27 am, "Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking
wrote:
snip

No headaches coming home, however I *did* get myself a nasty cold as of
yesterday afternoon. No big surprise really! Other years when I've worked
with them I have come down with colds too... it's that time of the year when
you aren't sure exactly how to dress. So today I go to work *with* a
headache already from the cold, and a nose that refuses to stop running.
ARGH Oh well, at least it's the last day... so when I come home the cold
can live out the rest of it's run with me camping out on the sofa with
juice, tea, water, a box of tissues (or a bucket hanging under my nose, as
my Mom used to say. LOL) and my comfortghan from all of you to keep me
toasty warm. ;o)

ANd if I were there, I would make you chicken soup!

Higs,
Katherine

Old October 1st 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Awww, thank you! )

When we got home I was feeling really horrible... not the cold so much (or
at least not totally), but the Fibromyalgia was rearing its ugly head. I
could barely move off the sofa the few times I needed to, to use the
washroom. My feet, legs, hips, and up into my back were bound right up on
me. That made me re-think whether I really want to try doing this *every*
weekend for the entire Fair season (end of April to end of September) next
year. Good thing I don't have to really commit to it now... they will give
us a call closer to the time to find out if we want to or can do it or
not... that way I can see how I've been feeling within the next six months
before saying yes or no. And who knows.. if I can manage to get the
Computer Graphics course going by then, and if Matthew has found another
part-time job by then... we may just be too busy to work the fairs every
weekend anyway, but still might do it one weekend every so often just for
some extra money.

My cold, which started out in my head, is still there but has started to
drop into my throat (good thing I don't need to talk much now) and I'm sure
it will be in my chest by tomorrow. I don't have any chicken, but I do
have cans of chicken noodle soup, so maybe I'll have some of that for lunch
today. ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

OT - Been busy Not Likely Yarn 6 September 2nd 07 11:27 PM
Busy busy ... quilting! -long- Pat in Virginia Quilting 3 July 19th 06 08:09 AM
Sorry , I've been busy Gwen Yarn 2 April 7th 06 03:06 AM
Ebay: busy busy busy!! marilyn safier Marketplace 0 August 5th 05 10:23 AM
I've been *BUSY* Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 10 December 17th 04 04:12 AM