OT Been busy...

Old September 26th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default OT Been busy...

Since I recently got a definite (although I've been told by someone else
that it is still a *possibility*) answer to something I was hoping for, I
thought I'd share it with you.

Some of you may remember from five years ago, a few months after my Mom
passed away, that I had taken a Business Planning course and had hoped to be
able to start my own giftshop business... however at the end of it all, I
didn't have any money to buy any products to sell, much less to lease a shop
etc.... so that was the end of that, or so I thought.......

About a month or so ago Matthew had to go on Social Assistance (Ontario
Works) because he has been out of work since last October and his
Unemployment benefits ran out so my Disability was our only income to try to
pay the mortgage and all the bills... and buy food and gas for the van. We
were beginning to drown in debt again. Anyway... when he spoke with his
Employment case worker from Ontario Works he told her that he had hoped to
be able to get back to his cabinetmaking courses in September (they closed
the college for the summer, even the evening classes) to work toward
starting his own woodworking/cabinetmaking business... however we didn't
have enough money to do that because of having to try to catch up on all the
bills. She told him that since the cabinetmaking courses was for him to
eventually start his own business and not just a hobby, she (the government)
would have no problem at all in helping with the cost of the courses as well
as the cost of gas to get there since the college is 90 minutes away from
home. *And* because he had never felt the need to get his driver's license
before, but would be needing it for his business (delivering finished items,
etc).. she would pay for him to get his license too. ) He has since
gotten his G1 (Learner's Permit) and in one year he can take his driving
test. He is doing very well with his driving skills and drives most times
when we go anywhere now. He has also been back into his cabinetmaking
courses (two of them this semester) for a couple of weeks now and doing
well.

On the same visit with his employment caseworker, she also suggested that he
talk with someone at SEB (Self Employment Benefits) to see if they would
help him start his business. I went to that meeting with him and heard what
the man told him... he doesn't qualify at the moment because he isn't
finished his "training" (taking his cabinetmaking courses), but when he does
finish... if he can finish within three years (it is a three level program
with a LOT of courses in each of the levels), he will then qualify for SEB
to help him write up a business plan to try to get a loan for his business,
*and* they will pay him twice a month to help with the cost of living while
he is establishing his business. Now, I thought... what a great idea, and
I wish they had that in effect five years ago when I had taken the business
planning course.

I thought about it for about three weeks and then decided to ask the people
at Disability *IF* I can get my doctor's approval to *try* to start my own
giftshop business... and IF I had to give it up after a while for whatever
reason (be it health or that the business didn't succeed, or whatever) would
I have a difficult time getting back on Disability again... considering that
it took them THREE years to finally approve me the first time around. I was
told that since I had already been adjudicated that there would be no
problem at all in me getting back on Disability if I went off for whatever
reason. They also told me that whether I started my own business or found
work for someone else (hard to do since I have bouts that put me out of
commission for a few days to a week or so at a time), I likely wouldn't make
enough money that I would need to even go off Disability completely
anyway... that I would have to make a LOT of money to make *too* much.
Apparently they take half of my earnings (be it from my own business or
working for someone else) off my cheque from Disability, but they also add
an extra $100 each month as an incentive to continue to work. Well that
sounded great, and we would have more money coming in to try to keep ahead
of the bills... so off I went to talk to the same man at SEB who had told
Matthew about that program.

I was told that mine would work differently because I haven't received
Unemployment benefits within the three year window... are you ready?... I
*just* missed the window by about three weeks. In other words if I had
asked Disability about it as soon as I heard about it from Matthew's
meeting, I would have made it in just under the three year window... and I
would have been off and running with it. *sigh* Missed opportunities!
However, he did tell me that he had worked with a couple of other people who
were on Disability and that it can be done, just in a different way... but I
had to fill out an application and take it to a different branch of the
government. Did it, and she told me that she never heard of it... that I
wouldn't be able to get the extra money to help with the cost of living
while getting my business established. Back I went to the man at SEB who
said yes it *can* be done, that he had worked with a couple of people who
did it, that the other woman wasn't looking in the right place. I spoke
with someone else at another branch of the government who also said it
couldn't be done... then back to SEB again. This went on over and over for
a few weeks. I was on a roller coaster, getting my hopes built up that it
*could* happen, to have them slapped down that it couldn't happen afterall.
Finally a couple of weeks ago I had enough, and hadn't heard back from the
one woman how was going to check on a couple of things... and I stopped in
her office where she told me that she hadn't talked to the other person who
was still off on vacation but that my giftshop business *wasn't* going to be
happening at all.. that it would *not* work.

Then I tossed another idea at her.... what about if I took a couple of
correspondence courses (I get too stressed in regular classroom situations,
and correspondence courses would allow me to work at my own time with my own
schedule... day or night, and be able to talk to instructors online or on
the telephone 24 hours a day). I had thought about this a few years ago
too. The courses I want to take are for Computer Graphics, Desktop
Publishing, Web Design... and Business Studies. I figured if I took those
two courses I could either work for other people (likely would want to do
that at first anyway to learn more about how the business part of it works),
or myself... making posters, menus, cards, calendars, etc... and even
publishing my own writings (I've had a few people say they would buy my
writings if I published them). And the Business Studies course would help
me to be able to manage the business (money) side of it... and I could do
that out of our home rather than having to lease a shop... at least for a
while. *AND*, the school offering the correspondence courses have a nice
incentive program... they send you a new computer (desktop, or laptop...
your choice) already loaded with the programs you need for the course to
work on... and once you complete the course, you get to keep the
computer!!!! Well, when I mentioned all of this to the woman who had just
told me that my giftshop business would not be happening, she said
"Correspondence?!? The government won't go for that! If it were an online
course they *might* allow it, because it can be monitored, but a
correspondence course cannot be monitored." What am I... three, that I
need to be monitored? I understand that some people abuse the system and
wouldn't bother doing the work... but when someone really wants to upgrade
their skills to help themselves get ahead, they are knocked down. I told
Matthew, if I had the money and could afford to do this, I would pay for it
myself and prove to the government that I *can* do it and I *can* get ahead
regardless of what they think. Unfortunately it is far too expensive to pay
for myself.... however I am *not* giving up on the idea completely.
Apparently there are a couple of options I can look into before having to
throw in the towel.... so it *might* still happen.
---
I did apply to work at a pepper (sweet peppers) greeenhouse and had an
interview. It seemed like the interview went well and they even showed me
around and had me try out how to run the motorized ladder that takes you up
and down (between the plant rows) the path as well as literally up and down
(from bottom to top and back down) the height of the plants. However the
next day they called and left a message on the answering machine saying they
didn't think it would work out. Matthew and I both think it's because I am
Disabled, although they would never be stupid enough to admit that because
it is illegal to discriminate for any reason. Matthew also emailed a
resume in, which they said they didn't get... so he emailed another one,
which they also said they didn't get... so while I was there I passed them
an actual paper resume for him and they never did call him in for an
interview at all. *shrug*
---
Last week I went to the fairgrounds to talk with my friend who owns the
carnival rides. I had worked with him a few times in the past... a couple
of years before he actually bought it from the original owners and he was
the foreman at the time, and a few times after he became the owner
himself... running the merry-go-round and little airplanes for the tiny
kids... the merry-go-round was always my favourite though. Anyway, Matthew
and I were both hoping to get some work to get a bit of extra money.
Matthew had made a promise to a friend (who is *extremely* shy and won't go
to public places without someone else) to hang out at the fair on Saturday,
so he was hoping to work on Friday and Sunday. Unfortunately they needed
people who could commit to all three days because they are very busy and
Saturday is the worst. Well, I raised Matthew to never break promises, so
this past weekend was out for him because of his promise to his friend...
besides he did want to have some time at his own fair to enjoy the event
himself. Jerry did find something for me to do though. They no longer have
the merry-go-round (although I think I might have convinced him that it
would be a good idea to get another one for future years because so many
people ask about it), so I looked after the
"Tidal Wave Slide". I simply had to stand there taking tickets, pass out
burlap rugs and send them up the stairs where another girl showed them how
to sit on the rug and put their feet into the pockets to slide down, then I
took the rugs and passed them to other people to go again.

We had wonderful weather for our fair (usually it has rained and left
puddles all over, it is raining, or it is really cold) with lots of sunshine
and very warm! However my ride was right out in the sun with no shade at
all, so I got a sunburn... no big deal. The only thing I had to sit on to
rest my feet from time to time was a metal box that I put the tickets in, so
I have a bruised rear end. LOL And thank goodness for Matthew coming
around so he could get me some water, because I found myself starting to
dehydrate after a while of being out in the heat. I worked 7 hours on
Friday afternoon/night with a half hour break, 14 hours on Saturday
afternoon/night with two half hour breaks, and 7 hours on Sunday afternoon
with a half hour break. It was long and tiring, but I figured it was only
three days and then I could recouperate all week if necessary. Mind you, by
the time I came home in the evening my back, but mostly my feet and ankles
were absolutely killing me. I had to massage my feet and legs and lay on
the sofa with them raised while watching TV. But I did enjoy myself even
through the pain, and the money I made was good... and well earned, which
made me feel good. ;o)

Matthew and I are hoping to be called to work this weekend. It is the last
fair for the season, in a town about an hour away from here. If all goes
well, and I'm feeling okay by then, we may see about working *weekends only*
for the entire season next year... that would be from May to the end of
September. That would help us get ahead and stay ahead of bills, and enable
Matthew to buy a few tools as well as put some money aside toward his
business, and for me to put some money aside to buy new applicances that we
need too. And working only on the weekends would allow me to rest up
during the week, as well as have time to spend in the pool too, which is so
good for me! So we'll see how it goes! )
---
Just bought some material and will be making a Halloween costume for Matthew
to wear answering the door for the Trick or Treaters. This year he is going
to be a werewolf... he bought a mask a few weeks ago, but I am doing the
rest of the costume. Also got some other material to make a flowing ghostly
type of thing that we have a mask to put on top of... some ghostly woman
that Matthew recently saw in a movie that he thought was pretty creepy.
Both things will be sewn by hand, as usual. ;o)

Anyway, just wanted to catch everyone up on what's happening here.

*hugs*
Gemini

Old September 26th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default OT Been busy... MUCH shorter

Yikes! Sorry about that.... I didn't realize how much I rambled on until I
actually saw the message posted. Hope I didn't overload anyone too much!

*hugs*
Gemini

Old September 26th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

Gemini, that's a sad but heartening, disappointing but encouraging story.

But did I miss what's happened about your gift shop idea?

Big Hugs,

Mary

Old September 26th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
Yikes! Sorry about that.... I didn't realize how much I rambled on until
I actually saw the message posted. Hope I didn't overload anyone too
much!

No chance!

Good stories with good writing certainly doesn't put ME off!

Mary

Old September 27th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
Yikes! Sorry about that.... I didn't realize how much I rambled on until
I actually saw the message posted. Hope I didn't overload anyone too
much!

No chance!

Good stories with good writing certainly doesn't put ME off!

Mary

Aww thank you, Mary! )

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 27th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

Gemini, that's a sad but heartening, disappointing but encouraging story.

But did I miss what's happened about your gift shop idea?

Big Hugs,

Mary

The bottom line of the gift shop idea is that, according to a couple of
government people, I don't qualify to get any help in starting my business.
The one who says I do qualify and who has actually worked with other people
on Disability before to start their business... suggested that I might want
to reconsider what line of business I would like to start because "a
giftshop is very risky and very expensive to start and operate". I haven't
made it back to talk to him yet, but I am considering the correspondence
courses instead *if* I can get some help in paying the cost.... so that I
can either work for someone else or start up my own at-home business in
Computer Graphics/Desktop Publishing/Web Design. If I can make that work
out, I may eventually get my giftshop up and running eventually. At the
moment I'm just tired of all the stress in *trying* to have government
people hear me out and then telling me it won't work. So it's all at a
stand-still at the moment.

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 27th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Forgot to mention that I have been researching and hoarding away places to
buy items I want to sell *wholesale*, and I've had my vendor's license for
five years as well... so it's not like I haven't been thinking about it or
working on it, and just assuming everything would drop into my lap (like
some of the government people make me feel like they think I'm doing).

Also forgot to mention in my original post (in the part about me working at
the fair this past weekend)... that I got TWO beestings on the *same* arm.
Got the first one on Friday on the front part of my arm just below the bend
in the elbow, then got the second one about two inches away from the first
on Saturday on the back part of my arm. It hurt a bit, but not nearly as
bad as when I stepped on a bee (I tend to go barefoot in the summer unless
I'm going away from the house for any reason) one year and was stung on the
bottom of my second last toe... my entire foot swelled up like a (an
American) football, and I couldn't even put my sandal on it to go to the
doctor. That one actually brought tears to my eyes and I had to put ice on
it to try to deaden the pain. The two on my arm did hurt, but I was too
busy to take the time to feel sorry for myself, and just had to keep
going... it eventually stopped hurting. I joked with Matthew later
Saturday night though, that I looked like I had a Popeye arm now with both
the beestings swollen up like they were. LOL The swelling and the infernal
itching finally stopped, thank goodness, and the swelling has gone down
today. Back to normal again. ;o)

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 27th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message

Gemini, that's a sad but heartening, disappointing but encouraging story.

But did I miss what's happened about your gift shop idea?

Big Hugs,

Mary

The bottom line of the gift shop idea is that, according to a couple of
government people, I don't qualify to get any help in starting my
business. The one who says I do qualify and who has actually worked with
other people on Disability before to start their business... suggested
that I might want to reconsider what line of business I would like to
start because "a giftshop is very risky and very expensive to start and
operate".

I've no idea what it's like where you are but the adviser might be right.

Gift shops aren't at all attractive to me but it does seem that the ones
which are profitable (usually in historic and tourist properties) sell mass
produced things, often imported, which have no real link with the locality
or the community. That's probably because true hand-made items simply can't
be sold at a profitable price which would give a true return to the maker
and the seller.

I can't remember the last time I bought anything in a gift shop. I know I'm
not a 'normal' shopper but I doubt that I'm alone. Mind you, I'm not a
'normal' shopper even in a supermarket and they seem to thrive :-)

Please don't regard what I say as advice, it's a very personal opinion.

I haven't made it back to talk to him yet, but I am considering the
correspondence courses instead *if* I can get some help in paying the
cost.... so that I can either work for someone else or start up my own
at-home business in Computer Graphics/Desktop Publishing/Web Design. If I
can make that work out, I may eventually get my giftshop up and running
eventually. At the moment I'm just tired of all the stress in *trying* to
have government people hear me out and then telling me it won't work. So
it's all at a stand-still at the moment.

Well, why not just stand still for a while? Do you actually NEED the income
from a stressful job? Years ago I decided that if I had the time at home
which I gave to an employer I could be more comfortable and be a better
mother and wife AND could save money on bought-in goods.

Not preaching, honestly. I know that some people like working, I don't mind
it for a short while but not in the long term.

Now back to the candles!

Mary

Old September 27th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

[...]

Good. Stings aren't pleasant, I react badly to all stings and bites and have
to think forward five days when I know I'll have more or less recovered :-)

Mary

*hugs*
Gem

Old September 27th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Gift shops aren't at all attractive to me but it does seem that the ones
which are profitable (usually in historic and tourist properties) sell
mass produced things, often imported, which have no real link with the
locality or the community. That's probably because true hand-made items
simply can't be sold at a profitable price which would give a true return
to the maker and the seller.

I wasn't planning on selling hand-made items, but rather nice items that
could make lovely wedding/anniversary/birthday/etc gifts. The only
hand-made things I was planning on having in my shop was going to be a
donation box called "Blankets of Love" (my own idea) for people to donate
blankets (whether they are hand-made or store bought, doesn't matter) for
others who can't afford to buy because I think everyone should have
something to comfort them and/or keep them warm wherever they may be or go.
I still want to do that, regardless what kind of business I ever end up
having, because it's important to me. )

I can't remember the last time I bought anything in a gift shop. I know
I'm not a 'normal' shopper but I doubt that I'm alone. Mind you, I'm not a
'normal' shopper even in a supermarket and they seem to thrive :-)

Funny you should say that... because I'm not actually a shopper myself. In
fact I detest shopping! My sisters say I must be adopted. LOL When I
*have* to shop I want to know in advance what I'm going for and have a
general idea of where in the store it may be, so I can get it and leave.
My sisters on the other hand will linger over the same clothes rack for
twenty minutes or more.... it drives me crazy. I say "Tell me what you're
looking for and I will find it for you!" I guess that's a form of
relaxation to them, but it makes me very tense.... I would much rather sit
in the car (I *have offered to do this, but they dragged me practically
kicking and screaming in the store with them saying they want to spend time
with me.) doing crossword puzzles.

Well, why not just stand still for a while? Do you actually NEED the
income from a stressful job? Years ago I decided that if I had the time at
home which I gave to an employer I could be more comfortable and be a
better mother and wife AND could save money on bought-in goods.

Well, we do need the income... but I would rather it wasn't from a stressful
job. If Matthew could manage to get himself a part-time job (he needs it to
be part-time because of studies for his courses), then there would be some
extra income and we could likely manage to get by with that and I wouldn't
have to work. However, I honestly wouldn't mind working at the fairs next
summer (I don't find that stressful, and actually enjoy it)... but we need
to get through the winter on our combined income, and that isn't that
wonderful at the moment.

Not preaching, honestly. I know that some people like working, I don't
mind it for a short while but not in the long term.

Oh I know! With normal jobs, I don't care for it much... it is very
stressful. One of the jobs I had wasn't too bad, but the foreman and some
co-workers made it stressful. I was five minutes late one night (because
half way there I ran into a really bad blizzard and could barely see, and
the road hadn't been plowed out properly) and the foreman was all over me
about how I should leave home early enough to get to work on time. I told
him that I had left in plenty of time and there was no snow at all in my
town, I hit the storm half way there and had to slow right down to a crawl
and I was lucky I made it at all because I had passed three other cars in
the ditch. His response.... "Check the weather channel and plan on bad
weather and leave earlier.. be here on time!!" Yeah... bite me!

Now back to the candles!

Candles? You're making candles? Do you make scented ones? mmmMMMmmm
Speaking of scented candles... I recently came across some that smell like
chocolate chip cookies. That is SOOOO mean to make something you can't eat
smell so good. LOL

*hugs*
Gem

OT - Been busy Not Likely Yarn 6 September 2nd 07 11:27 PM
Busy busy ... quilting! -long- Pat in Virginia Quilting 3 July 19th 06 08:09 AM
Sorry , I've been busy Gwen Yarn 2 April 7th 06 03:06 AM
Ebay: busy busy busy!! marilyn safier Marketplace 0 August 5th 05 10:23 AM
I've been *BUSY* Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 10 December 17th 04 04:12 AM