Just learning..need sites

Old September 24th 03, 05:04 PM
Ophelia

Default Just learning..need sites

Welcome Margie This is not a list or a newsgroup.. this is a Community

Ophelia
Scotland

"Margie" wrote in message
Hi all,

My name is Margie and I've just started playing around with yarn. I've
been teaching myself with books and by searching the web for sites with
free patterns. I've found many but would like to ask if anyone here
could post some good sites especially ones with pictures of the finished
projects.

So far, I've only been doing VERY simple things like dishcloths and
scarves and, so far, one hat. I'm doing both knitting and crocheting
and find that it's so nice to just pick up where I left off and actually
finish in a reasonable amount of time. By Christmas I'm hoping to have
a good number of gifts made.

I've been lurking here for about a month now..and have found quite a few
great instructional sites through you nice people. Thanks in advance
for any help you can offer.

Margie in Delaware

http://community.webtv.net/Mrsbuzzword/MargiesQuiltsand

Old September 24th 03, 05:25 PM
Karen

She's right! This is one of the most unusual groups on the net that way,
lots of friendly helpful and supportive people here, lots of friendships
formed!

If you like scarves (I do too!), one of my favorite sites for free patterns
is the Crystal Palace site at www.straw.com/cpy/patterns

Yarnforward.com has some free patterns for mittens, baby things and others
at www.yarnforward.com/freestf.html

Many of the yarn manufacturers have free patterns on their websites as well,
such as www.berroco.com

Another of my favorites is www.knitty.com

Welcome to the group!

Karen in MN

Old September 24th 03, 05:29 PM
Sarah Grace

Margie wrote:
I've been lurking here for about a month now..and have found quite a few
great instructional sites through you nice people. Thanks in advance
for any help you can offer.

Hi Margie

Welcome to the best newsgroup- ever! I am pleased that you finally came out of
lurkdom.

It is quite tricky to give you sites because there are so many and it all
depends on what you really want to do. We do have a list of favourite RCTY
bookmarks here (i think this is Joyce' site):
http://home.att.net/~JMNoverr/rcty/

I always like to look at the designs on this page:
http://flor.trix.net/free.htm

And there is an internet-based free knitting magazine:
www.knitty.com
(back issues are somewhere in there too)

Finally, I find google searching for what you want is also useful.
HTH
Regards
Sarah
Old September 24th 03, 07:15 PM
Aud

Hello Margie!
Welcome to our "society"!
Here is a site for crocheted dishclothes, this is page 1, (remark the link
to p.2!)
If you use the "pointer" over the names, a picture will come up in the
little frame!
http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou...s/crochet.html

And here is the knitting site:
http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbou.../knitting.html
(here are 5 pages, plus a bit more , knitting terms and conversion page)
GOOD luck to you from Aud at the West Coast of Norway! ;-))
--

"Margie" skrev i melding

Old September 24th 03, 08:37 PM
Janise Ross

Hi, Margie,
Welcome to the group. I'm sure you'll find many projects to keep you
busy! And if you have any questions, just ask. Amazingly, someone here
always knows the answer!

Janise, in Pittsford, NY

Old September 24th 03, 11:41 PM
Spike Driver

These sights will keep you busy all year. I have several dozen shortcuts.
I do not want to scare you.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/123freepat.htm

http://home.inreach.com/marthac/knit/knitsites.html

Old September 25th 03, 11:31 AM
Chris

Margie

You may find this site http://www.dnt-inc.com/barhtmls/knittech.html to be
of some interest, though if you have a slow connection it may take some time
for each demonstration to load.

Chris, NSW

"Margie" wrote in message
Gee, what a nice welcome!! Thanks to all who have responded. I've
checked out all the sites so far and have saved most of them. I'm
looking forward to seeing more. I'm sure I've missed many good ones in
my own searches. And I will try googling.

Looking forward to participation in this 'community'. It's nice to
learn something new...I've done a lot of sewing for the Gkids and kids
but I think this year it'll be a lot of warm and snugglies.

Margie

http://community.webtv.net/Mrsbuzzword/MargiesQuiltsand

Old September 25th 03, 02:11 PM
Margie

Wow, Chris....what a great tutorial!!! And suprisingly, even though I
have Webtv here...the animation didn't take long at all. Very clear
instructions. Thanks so much!!!!

Margie

http://community.webtv.net/Mrsbuzzword/MargiesQuiltsand

Old September 25th 03, 09:08 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Margie,

I know you will get a lot of great sites, I just wanted to say welcome to this
great group.

Nora
Old September 29th 03, 01:02 AM
Katherine Burgess

Welcome to RCTY, Margie. I won't give you any sites, as I know that others
have already done so. But if you need any help, just post a question here.
Someone will be sure to answer.
Katherine