OT - metal vs wood beds...

Old January 24th 05, 12:21 AM
KDK

Default OT - metal vs wood beds...

Anyone know why metal beds cost way more than wood beds??

I've been looking for a nice silvery(chrome, pewter etc) metal bed and I'm
stunned at some of the prices. Geez.

Good thing I don't mind comparison shopping

Kathy K

Old January 24th 05, 12:59 AM
Diana Curtis

My guess is that wood is a renewable resource and metal isnt. It is just a
guess.
Where are you looking? Ive seen some incredible ones in magazines that look
like free form wrought (spelling?) iron, with curls and swirls and
leaves..and ooohmygoodness...they are lovely.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 24th 05, 01:34 AM
Armand Vine

Did you check overstock.com??
They sometimes have incredible deals and S&H is fixed pretty low.

Old January 24th 05, 02:13 AM
KDK

So far furniture and bed places. Yeah - I like the swirly pretties

I'm aiming for my bedroom to have a very light and airy feel.

Kathy K

Old January 24th 05, 02:14 AM
KDK

Thanks! I didn't know they did furniture! I've bought bedding from them
and was very happy.

Kathy (off to surf overstock!!) K

Old January 24th 05, 03:11 AM
Jeanne Burton

"KDK" wrote in message
Anyone know why metal beds cost way more than wood beds??

I've been looking for a nice silvery(chrome, pewter etc) metal bed and
I'm
stunned at some of the prices. Geez.

Good thing I don't mind comparison shopping

Kathy K

Believe it or not, check Hancock Fabrics. We have about 20 different
styles of awesome beds, and the prices are not what I'd consider
exhorbitant, compared to what I've seen in furniture stores. They may
have examples on the website at hancockfabrics.com too...

Jeanne
Old January 24th 05, 03:14 AM
KDK

wow - definitely wouldn't have thought of there! I know we have a couple
here in Knoxville - thanks for the heads up!

Kathy K

Old January 24th 05, 05:36 AM
Polly Stewart

KDK wrote:
Anyone know why metal beds cost way more than wood beds??

whew... I read 'beads' and a few posts later you say you are looking in
furniture stores etc........ duhhhhhhh

drops head on kboard - smack

Polly
Old January 24th 05, 07:35 AM
Shirley Shone

It is strange how trends go. When I was small most of the beds were
metal. Big Victorian things with brass knobs that needed polishing.
The base was a mesh thing in metal that had wooden ends that were fixed
to the side bars and top and bottom of the bed. There was a handle that
was used to tightened or loosen the mesh from hard to soft. Then on top
a flock or feather mattress depending how much money you had.

They made great trampolines when I was a small child.

We had 3 of them and Mum could not wait to get a Modern wooden one.
When finally she did and trashed the old bed, she soon regretted it. Dad
did not like it. In fact I was given the new bed and she took my metal
one.

Another base for them was with interwoven metal slats. We used to love
to get hold of a discarded one because the slats made wonderful runners
to put on our home made sledges that we had a lot of fun on in winter.

Now people would pay a small fortune to get one of those beds.
Shirley

In message , KDK
writes

Old January 25th 05, 06:09 AM
KDK

hee hee - know what you mean. There was a book store in Asheville called
the reading nook or reading room and everytime I saw it I read "beading".

We have been assimilated!

Kathy K

metal question Mystified One Beads 1 January 20th 05 05:19 PM
Need advice/info about kilns for metal clay Peggy Beads 9 November 10th 04 05:19 PM
Common metal alloys Bungadora Beads 13 April 18th 04 09:35 PM
metal parts jw Beads 0 November 4th 03 11:25 AM
Metal Questions Christina Peterson Beads 7 October 4th 03 12:54 AM