Light--Ott v. Daylight

Old January 29th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Light--Ott v. Daylight

I'm thinking of giving Mom a table lamp for Mother's Day. I would
appreciate reading about your experience with either of the above types
of lamps.

tia,
joan

Old January 29th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

LOVE my Ott-lite. I have the "lexington" floor model, which does not
look like a utility lamp but is a lovely frosted-glass-shaded lamp one
might leave at the edge of a sofa or favourite chair to illuminate
reading.

I've seen another brand or two of these, but at shows in big open areas
which are differently lit anyway, so I don't really have a good idea of
comparison.

I will admit we had one slight problem with the Ott - my sweetie got it
for me as a gift a couple holidays back, and when we first set it up,
it would shut itself off every few minutes.This is because the
transformer that plugs into the wall has a heat sensor that trips if it
overheats (which is a good thing, normally!). Ours was a little too
sensitve and tripped at the slightest warming.

This was a perfectly legitimate warranty issue and we had no argument
over getting a replacement, but it took an inconvenient six weeks to do
so as the store had been run out of stock on the lamps over the
holidays and had to wait for new stock. But that was just coincidental
circumstance, nothing to do with the quality of the lamp.

Haven't had a problem with the replacement in two years now.

Johanna

Old January 29th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Must ask does the OTT light flicker at all like a fluorescent? I can't be
around fluorescent lights very long as they make my eyes quiver for
hours--things 'move' ever so slightly

Butterfly

ps.com...

Old January 29th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"FurrsomeThreesome" wrote in message
ps.com...
I will admit we had one slight problem with the Ott - my sweetie got it
for me as a gift a couple holidays back, and when we first set it up,
it would shut itself off every few minutes.This is because the
transformer that plugs into the wall has a heat sensor that trips if it
overheats (which is a good thing, normally!). Ours was a little too
sensitve and tripped at the slightest warming.

I had the same problem with mine. Unfortunately, since I bought mine
wholesale, I would have had to pay to ship it back to Chicago (the
wholesaler). I didn't really want to do that -- fortunately, while I was
procrastinating, the sensor seems to have straightened itself out, and
doesn't trip off any more. Still very disappointing, considering the cost of
the lamp.

The light itself is nice, but now that I've added track lighting to my
sewing room, I've discovered that what I really like about it is the
*quantity* of light it gives off. As for color itself, my favorite is the GE
Reveal bulbs, while DH prefers a warm-white compact fluorescent. But
ultimately, I'm still a believer that if a fabric is metameric (i.e. changes
color noticeably in different lights), you really need to pick the fabric in
the same light it will ultimately be seen in. Doesn't do a bit of good to
base your choices on the Ott light if the finished quilt will never be seen
in that light. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 29th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I am concerned about the reliability issue with the Ott lights. I'll
be sending this to Mom who would have no way to return it if there is a
problem.

Old January 29th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'd see if you could get any actual consumer research. I was happy to
think that mine was the one-in-however-many-thousand that had a glitch,
but I'm surprised to see someone else had the same issue - though, it
seems to have gone away, too, so who knows.

Keep in mind not every Ott has the wall-plug transformer, which was
where the problem was with mine.

Johanna

Old January 29th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You could Google the particular Ott light you are considering. If
anyone is unhappy with it it would probably show up.
Shana

Old January 29th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I received my OTT light a few years ago for C.mas. I really had a hard
time inserting
the bulb. It was really tricky and hate the thought of having to ever
replace it !. I was
really afraid that I would break it as I had to push hard to insert it.
The transformer/ballast
died on me..and when I called about it I was told it would be something like
$34 to replace it.
I didn't order one then as they might have been out ..not sure...but my 2nd
call concerning it...didn't give me the answer I wanted either.. The 3rd
call I made ..I was told that I would be sent one free !!...which came and
works fine. I just never use it as I always choose my colors in
daylight --if I have a question I bring
the fabric to the window. I like the GE reveal bulbs and would never buy
another OTT.
Mary

ups.com...

Old January 30th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You got a better response than I did. When I discovered that I had one of
the defective transformer (possible overheating problem) stand-up models I
called the company and I was told to send it back to the manufacturer, at my
own expense. Of course, I had not kept the long box and packaging material
that it had come in and would have had to pay for packing as well as
shipping. The company's response was tiotally unhelpful. I would not buy
any of their products again.
Louise (in CT at that time, now in WA)

"

Old January 30th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have three Ott lights, plus an Ott bulb, I have had no problems with
any of them.

My only thought is: if I have matched the colors under the same Ott
light, natural light, or "other light", won't the colors match under
all light? Yes, I know that they may appear differently under each
form of light, but won't they still blend, match, go together?

My SO and I actually use the Ott lights to ward off the effects of
SAD. I once worked the night shift at a printing establishment, we had
a light booth used to verify color (daylight simulating) and the booth
was right next to my work station. I anticipated my usual winter
blues, it didn't happen and I attributed it to my close proximity to
that light. SO has one in his windowless office.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On 29 Jan 2006 14:04:13 -0800, "FurrsomeThreesome"
wrote:

I'd see if you could get any actual consumer research. I was happy to
think that mine was the one-in-however-many-thousand that had a glitch,
but I'm surprised to see someone else had the same issue - though, it
seems to have gone away, too, so who knows.

Keep in mind not every Ott has the wall-plug transformer, which was
where the problem was with mine.

Johanna

In "light" of recent posts KI Graham Quilting 4 September 10th 05 02:30 AM
number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 09:59 PM
OT Humour: Changing a light bulb Rachel Janzen Needlework 5 June 18th 04 09:27 PM
Lighting Recommendations Francis Vesey Glass 23 December 19th 03 05:59 AM