A blackbelt level tightwad

Old October 14th 05, 01:18 AM

My DH was a wood patternmaker, and I found some of his rulers. One was a
'shrink rule' and the measurements could really throw off a block if you
were not aware! (A shrink rule measurements are larger to compensate for
metal shrinkage when poured into a sand mould created from the wood
pattern.) Nancycog in MD

Old October 14th 05, 01:21 AM

Very stealthy, Pat. A good way to start the fabric and quilting
addiction. Heh, Heh! Nancycog in wet, soggy, rainy MD

Old October 14th 05, 01:54 AM
Taria

Architects use them too. Most office supply stores have them The
triangle ones are great. I have a 6" metal ruler about 1/2" wide that
is my very favorite. It is nothing like the little cheapies made for
sewing. I have kept track of it for over 30 years.
Taria

Nann Hilyard wrote:
Patti, my dad was an engineer, too. One of the rulers I "inherited" is
triangular. It is 12" long and three-sided--each side has two edges, with
the result that the ruler has 6 different scales.

I also have the ruler I got when I was in 2nd grade. That was 1959-60!

Nann

"Patti" wrote in message

As opposed to ... !
I *love* rulers. Not quilting rulers, but all rulers. I found my
heart's delight not so long ago - a *steel* twelve inch ruler. No
warping, no twisting, the calibrations go down to 64ths!!!! I just love
it! I also have a navigational parallel rule - for drawing parallel
lines (for me that is!) - complete with brass holding knobs and turning
pieces. Mmmm .. just like my Dad's of many years ago. Maybe I should
have been an engineer?
.
In message . net, Polly
Esther writes

There's a ruler here that I love. Love too much. There are others but

this

is the one I always pick up. After many happy years together the lines

wore

off right at the front edge. "Why", I said to myself, "don't you fix

it?"

So I did. I sort of wiped off the ruler and drew new lines with my

friend,

the Sharpie extra fine point marker. How sweet it is. Why didn't I do

that

sooner? Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old October 14th 05, 02:16 AM
MB

I have my dad's ..one is a wooden triangle...I love it !....and the other
triangle has one that
comes apart...forgot what it is called but just neat to have something of
his. Mary

. ..

Old October 14th 05, 02:17 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Many, many years ago an engineer friend who worked at Honeywell gave me a
thin metal 6-inch ruler marked in 64th, and on the other side is cm and mm.
I love that ruler and still use it all the time! and because the marks are
engraved, all I have to do is rub a graphite pencil over them to renew any
that have worn. I understand the feeling completely!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old October 14th 05, 02:37 AM
Patti S

Aw Polly - it's just hard to part with our favorites, no matter how
"worn" they are.... that goes for rulers, coffee cups, slippers,
jammies, and pin cushions. It's not really being a tightwad, it's just
being "comfortable" with what you're used to. I love your tip though!!

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

"forgiveness is the fragrance the violet sheds on the heel that has
crushed it"
=AD=ADmark twain=AD=AD

Old October 14th 05, 03:00 AM
Julia in MN

Nann Hilyard wrote:
I also have the ruler I got when I was in 2nd grade. That was 1959-60!

I have the 12" wooden ruler I was given at the local Coca-Cola bottling
plant when our country grade school kids toured the plant when I was in
first grade (1951). It's a bit worse for wear -- I wouldn't want to use
it to draw a sharp straight line -- but it's okay to measure.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 14th 05, 08:25 AM
Patti

I have one of those, too, Nann!
(Forgot to mention the Slide Rule!)
Aren't they fun?

In message , Nann Hilyard
writes

Old October 14th 05, 08:41 AM
Kate Dicey

Nann Hilyard wrote:

Patti, my dad was an engineer, too. One of the rulers I "inherited" is
triangular. It is 12" long and three-sided--each side has two edges, with
the result that the ruler has 6 different scales.

I also have the ruler I got when I was in 2nd grade. That was 1959-60!

Nann

Back in the days of slide rules (remember them?), my dad had a circular
one for navigation in military aircraft where the traditional straight
one was too long. Big Sis had hers broken and borowwed the round one
for a week... It puzzled her maths teacher no end!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!