OT Internet security,need opinion

Old October 11th 05, 05:37 PM
nana2b

Default OT Internet security,need opinion

Hi everyone, I am still trying to unpack and get things normal again. My
sewing room is next on the list. I really long to sit at Bernie and play
for just 1 hour.

My Norton Anti-Virus is expiring and I would like to know if any of you have
a better product to recommend. I tried to use the security package from the
DSL but it wouldn't let my see any newsgroups. So that was a no brainer. I
have a firewall from windows so is that part enough to protect me? Since I
am on a wireless network do all the PCs need virus protection? I hope you
can help

TIA, Linda in Fairview Tx

Old October 11th 05, 06:11 PM
Jenn/Jalynne

Personally, I'd stick with Norton, but that's the one I'm used to and
prefer. McAfee is ok, too. AVG is free, and I have friends who use it with
good results. It's really a matter of preference, as they all pretty much
work the same way. I would just beware any that aren't well known, because
of the risk of installing spyware and the like.
Yes, all of the computers should be covered with anti-virus software. It's
like immunizing one kid out of three if you don't. Sure, the one kid won't
get sick, but the others are vulnerable. (At least that's how dh, who works
with computer networks, explained it to me).
Have fun unpacking. I still have boxes to go through from nearly 6 years
ago...*sigh*

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions

Old October 11th 05, 06:38 PM
Donna in Idaho

After Norton started causing my computer all kinds of problems, my computer
tech recommended Grisoft AVG. I think one version is free, but I went ahead
and paid for it - you get more goodies with it. I also have Spyware Doctor
and Spybot Search & Destroy, as well as Zone Alarm. Zone Alarm is a good
program - the last version has had some problems, but they seem to be
getting those fixed. Last, but not least, I have Lavasoft Ad-Aware
installed. All of these programs are installed on the advice of 'techies'
on one of the computer expertise newsgroups.

The reason for having the different Spyware programs installed is that each
one of them hunts for and finds different kinds of spyware and malware.

I have wireless internet and since I'm connected all the time, I want to
have as much virus and spyware protection as possible.

Donna
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old October 11th 05, 06:39 PM
nana2b

Thanks for your input. I think that is very sound advice. Norton it is!
Linda

Old October 11th 05, 06:44 PM
Roberta Zollner

We use both Norton and Outpost Firewall/ Agnitum, plus something called
Tauscan. And the server's stuff, set to maximum protection. It has pretty
good virus protection, and it sorts spam quite well. (Can be trained.) But
remember, all these things are only as good as the latest update! Norton
will update automatically, the other 2 show up every week or so and ask me
to click a button.
Don't ask me, DH is the family computer geek.
Roberta in D

Old October 11th 05, 06:45 PM
Donna in Idaho

Replying to myself - no anti virus or spyware program will help much if you
don't download the updates regularly. I have AVG set to download updates
daily. Also, the programs won't do you any good if you don't run them at
least weekly to search out the bad guys. Some programs are always running
in the background, some such as Ad-Aware aren't.

On the advice of someone here on the newsgroup, I filter all my email
messages through MailWasher. My ISP has a spam program running too, before
the email even makes it to MailWasher. So far, I've been lucky and have
never had any major infestations.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old October 11th 05, 06:53 PM
Anne in CA

Another point to be careful of -- is your wireless network encrypted? If
not, anyone in range (could park across the street) can surf the
Internet using your network. A Firewall can keep them from actually
seeing data on your computer, but they can "piggyback" off of your network.

I was showing EQ5 to my DD on my laptop and all of a sudden Yahoo
Messenger popped up -- I had gotten a nice strong connection through her
next door neighbor's wireless network!

A couple of years ago, a local newspaper reporter took a wireless laptop
computer around to each of our local schools and wrote a story about
what she could access (no grades or attendance data, but teacher's
homework and assessment files were wide open) while sitting in the
school parking lot. Needless to say, school officials scrambled to
encrypt after that ;-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Old October 11th 05, 08:18 PM
nana2b

Thanks Donna, all my computers are on a wireless network. I have the
ad-aware programs working too. Zone Alarm gave my laptop all kinds of fits.
These days you have to protect your network from the meanies out there.

Linda

Old October 11th 05, 09:52 PM
Sharon Harper

We have 2 desktop PCs and DH's laptop which runs off the same server here at
home and we use Norton (one subscription covers all three) and we have not
had any problems at all. Love it.

quicker)

Old October 11th 05, 10:11 PM
Christina in Ok

I feel that Trend Micro Pc-cillin Internet Security is one of the best on
the market today and unlike Norton's it is not a system hog,
It has built in spyware scan, Security Checks for Microsoft vulnerabilities,
pop3 mail scan as well as webmail scan,
It also has URL filter,(block access to specific web sites)
Private Data Protection, Home network Control and a password for your
security settings.
on top of all this , you also get a personal firewall, and Wi-Fi Detection.
On the virus side it will send you early outbreak warnings, and updates on
its own about once a day, more if there is a threat.
It is a very user-friendly interface, and all can be run auto, or manual.
The down side it does cost, yearly. However to keep cost of the product
down, you can buy an older copy (2002 +)and update it for half of the price
that it shows on the web site, then just keep it updated as you do have dues
once a year.
I have tired other products, but this by far is the best I have found to
date.