refugees in TX

Old October 6th 05, 03:59 PM
Musicmaker

Default refugees in TX

Weel, as I'm sure you all know, things in the south may not be headline
news anymore, but life is far from normal. I have family in San
Antonio, from where my sister manages several Tx nursing homes and my
Mom works as a volunteer at RACAP (Randolph Area Christian Assistance
Program). Racap runs a foodbank that regularly supplies needy people
with canned goods, some fresh foods that are donated by area gardens,
and personal care items. They have totally run out of food - almost as
soon as it comes in, there are people coming asking for some
assistance. The normal policy at Racap is to have applicants fill out
many forms to prove their financial situation plus they are interviewed
by the director of Racap, or another assigned person. Now, if a person
can prove they are from southeastern TX or south Louisiana, they are
automatically eligible for aid. San Antonio is currently full of
people who still aren't being allowed to go home, if they even have a
home left.

Long story short - I know that I personally am very reluctant to give
$$ to large charities like the Red Cross - but my sister says that 100%
of moneys sent to the director of Racap in San Antonio will go to
purchase food and personal care items for the foodbank. Since their
bills are paid by the gov't and Racap is manned completely by
volunteers, there is no overhead. I'd be glad to give anyone the name
and phone or address of the director of Racap if you're interested.
Just email me.

Musicmaker

Old October 6th 05, 04:26 PM
Tina

My father and my grandfather were at Randolph when I was a child. I
spent a LOT of time there. My grandmother volunteered for everything
involving Randolph AFB. I donated while we were in SA last week - but
I too would vouch for them and would send them anything I could spare.

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 6th 05, 07:19 PM

I wonder if your family knows anthing of the situation in Beaumont..We
aren't hearing from my BIL and his family. I know they made it thru the
storm. Two big trees in and on the house and two feet of water in the
house. But we are not hearing from them..Anyone in the group close to
Beaumont, Texas? Michele from Ohio

Old October 6th 05, 09:20 PM
~Ann~

Michele, I heard on my local news yesteday that there is only about 65%
of elec restored to Beaumont, and to the smaller neighboring towns 10%
at the most.

Ann

Old October 6th 05, 09:35 PM
~Ann~

Musicmaker, the situation in Austin is not any better, and probably not
in Dallas or Lubbock either. There are many evacuees from Katrina as
well as from Rita. Local news said the office in Austin can only
process about 400-500 cases per day, and only open 9 to 5, so they hafta
come back and stand in line again. There are still 150,000 without elec
in those areas in Tx, but it's sure better than 2 or 3 million!

Ann

Old October 6th 05, 09:51 PM
Musicmaker

Ann, I bet that if you had a local phone number for people (rctq'ers)
to call they'd jump right in and help. It's just so futile to give
money to a national organization that has so much overhead cost that
most of our money goes into the light bill! I have a friend who's an
EMT who would jump at the chance to go to TX and help out, but the red
cross, even after he went through the r.c. training, has put off
giving him a date, or even a destination, and here he is, twiddling
away his vacation time!

Old October 6th 05, 10:32 PM
Tina

OMG - anyone wanting to help should contact their local church or a
branch of their denomination here locally. The churches are the people
who just get off their ass and go help these people without waiting on
all the beurocratic red tape, B.S.

That is why my friend went yesterday, he is the minister of New
Covenant First Christian Church here in Houston and they were ASKED to
come help whenever and for however long they could!

Tina, in Houston

Old October 6th 05, 11:01 PM
Tina

Michele - I wish I had known this yesterday. I kept my friends
daughter last night because he went to Beaumont yesterday to help
victims fill out paperwork for FEMA, insurance, etc. I could have
asked him to check on them specifically for you.

I am not that close, but if he goes again I will let you know. If you
email me off list, I can give their name/info to him and he can talk to
his contacts there in Beaumont?

Tina

Old October 6th 05, 11:58 PM
Polly Esther

This looks like as good a place as any to toss in a Swamp hurricane note.
Today's paper shows the law enforcement guys with guns in hand. They were
keeping an eye out for the gators while the power company crews were trying
to pull the power poles back upright. Now, that ought to be something for
the Las Vegas PD to tell their grandchildren about. I can just hear it now.
Polly

oups.com...

Old October 7th 05, 12:02 AM
Tina

Polly, I just love your "Swamp Hurricane notes"!
Next time a hurricane is headed our way - I'm gonna come ride it out
with YOU and the gators!

Tina, have canned goods and water, will travel
not on I-10 though