What are you working on?

Old October 13th 05, 12:21 PM
Bonnie NJ

I made one yesterday and didn't clip the selvage. After it was washed and
dried you couldn't tell. In fact on the back of the scarf the material got
wrinkled when I was sewing - it made it a little harder to do the cutting
but made no difference in the finished scarf.
If you follow the instructions you'll get chenille fringe, which looks kind
of like baby dreds.

--
Bonnie
NJ
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
What a great idea! You'd probably want to trim off the selvedge first.
Wonder what it would look like to slip in some straight-grain rectangles
at each end to make fringe?
Roberta in D

"Julia in MN" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news
I hope this makes sense: I bought 1.5 yards of fabric for one scarf, which
gave me a piece about 45" square. I folded it in half diagonally and cut
3" from the fold, to give a 6" bias strip. Then I cut more 6" strips and
layered them, one on top of the other. The middle strip should be about
1/2" longer on each end; this makes it easier to make sure you cut only
the 2 outer layers on each side. I made mine as long as the first strip of
fabric. The outer 2 layers can be "pieced" by laying strips end-to-end; it
won't be noticeable after they are cut. I marked a line down the center
the length of the strips. I stitched the marked line and then used my
presser foot as a guide to stitch 3/8" or so from the previous sewn line
until the strips were stitched all the way across. I used my Fiskars
spring-loaded shears to cut between the rows of stitching on the two
outside layers on both sides. The tips of that shears are a bit rounded; I
don't think something with sharp pointed tips would work as well. You
could also use one of those rotary cutters made for cutting chenille. I
trimmed the ends so all the strips were the same length. On one, I cut the
ends straight and stitched about 1/2" from the end. On another, I cut the
ends in a v-shape, stitched about 1" from the end, and cut the middle
layer between the stitching to make a fringe. Then I washed them in the
washer and dried them in the dryer. I put a couple of old bath towels in
with them, and used hot water and a hot dryer so that they would shrink a
bit and fluff up. They didn't leave a lot of lint in the washer, but they
did leave a lot in the dryer; I emptied the lint filter about half-way
through the dryer cycle.

Nancy recommended a book called Sew Chic Chenille:
https://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/index.jsp One thing she emphasized
was that the stitching had to be on the bias; if the pieces were cut on
the bias, the stitching could be parallel to the edges; if they are cut
on the straight grain, the stitching must be at a 45-degree angle to the
edges. I suspect that a scarf will drape better if made from a bias
strip. She also showed making chenille for a jacket and making a chenille
baby blanket. More detail on all the projects is in the book.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 13th 05, 01:27 PM
Pat in Virginia

Thank you so much Julia. It makes a lot of sense and I want to
try this!
PAT in VA/USA